“Charming Chester” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
North Tonawanda NY
“Charming Chester”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night while visiting Lassen and would loved to have stayed longer.
The place is impeccably clean. There is a wonderful breakfast room, coffee, a small fitness center, a hot tub, and a very friendly and helpful front desk staff.
Chester is a lovely little walkable town. There are a few cute restaurants close by. The grounds of the hotel have a picnic area and grill for your use.
This was a very relaxing, homey place to stay.I am so glad we stayed here. Next time, I want to stay more than one night!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Rose Quartz Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay. I am happy that you found our hotel clean and well appointed. I will pass on your compliments to our staff. We hope to see you again in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed 2 nights here while visiting Lassen Volcanic Park. Though the hotel is 30 miles from the park there didn't seem to be many other hotels nearer to the park that were equivalent in size and facilities. This hotel isn't cheap and they don't have much competition in Chester either. However it's a good modern and very clean hotel. Our room was big and had a lovely bed with big pillows. The bathroom was very spacious indeed. Breakfast had no cooked items apart from waffles but the room itself was a good size and comfortable for eating. The hotel had a hot tub but no pool. There were also areas outside where guests could light a barbecue and eat outdoors. This hotel is located in a very quiet peaceful area and provides guests with a great escape from all the hustle and bustle of over crowded tourist areas. Restaurants aren't too plentiful and we ate in the Kopper Kettle on the recommendation of the hotel staff. It was basic but very adequate and had good food.
Lassen itself is one of the most under utilised parks in the U.S. It's just an oasis of tranquility with its hot pools, fumaroles and bubbling mud pots. There are also trails one of which is steep but worth the effort, to see Ridge Lake....spectacular and we only met one other couple on the entire trail. You feel as if you have personally discovered this gem and you are at one with nature. Not to be missed!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the road.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Rose Quartz Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the kind comments and hope that you choose us again for your next visit to Lassen Volcanic National Park.
Palos Verdes, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here for one night during a family car trip. It was the best location I could find for visiting Lassen National Park. It wasn't really that close to the park, but closer than driving to Redding or Red Bluff. The Hotel was ok. We had a family suite with 2 queen beds and another area with a sofa bed. Unfortunately the sofa bed was very poor quality for sleeping, I can't recommend it for anyone over age 10. The queen mattresses had firm support, but not much cushion. Bathroom was big, and had a large vanity area with plenty of room. Tub even had jacuzzi jets, which unfortunately I didn't realized until I was taking my shower the next morning; I could have used it after hiking around Lassen all day. Our room was in the back above the hot tub, very quiet, no problems at all. Front desk was helpful. The comp breakfast was fine, I appreciate being able to eat quickly and get the family on the road again without the hassle of going out for breakfast. There is no pool, grounds are basically a parking lot. We did luck out with a view of the mountains from our room, I thought the room was overpriced compared to others of better quality we stayed at during our 7 night trip.It is a basic, clean place to sleep and shower. Chester as a town has very little to offer, no good restaurants or shops, but the lake is pretty. I'm sure this is the best place in town. Next time we go to Lassen we will camp; it is beautiful and fascinating place.

Room Tip: I think the best rooms are at the back, away from the road.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We thank you for your honest comments and hope that you chose our hotel in the future for your next visit to Lassen Volcanic National Park.
marin County, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our stay here followed 3 nights at the Galice Resort in Merlin Oregon, which was rustic at best. I was so happy to come to a place where I wouldn't have any surprises~!

The staff was friendly and knowledgable. My 12 year old prefers to sleep on the floor rather than sharing a bed, (we traveled with my Mother on this trip) and when I asked for an additional blanket to pad the floor, the woman brought a king-size, so that my daughter could double-fold it...*nice touch*.

I use a wheeled walker, so I need an accessible room, but dislike the roll-in showers most places offer because they scatter water everywhere. This bathroom was large enough for me to roll around in, and there were several grab-bars in the shower, allowing me access to the tub enclosure.

The beds were a little soft for my taste, but that's expected. The window covered the entire back wall, allowing for plenty of light. The room was extremely clean (no stray hair on the bathroom floor, even behind the door - woo hoo!)

Serve-yourself breakfast was good, fresh, and available from 6 to 9 am. There is a restaurant just out the front door (Cotton Candy Cafe) which made us a terrific pizza, which we brought back to the room so that we could watch the olympics.

The distance from Lassen Volcanic National Park is 27 miles (to the south entrance), and the speed limit is 55 most of the way. We took it a little more slowly but it didn't feel like "forever".
We went early one day (the park opens at 9) and a little later the next. A lovely drive.

Free wifi was a bonus, allowed me to use gasbuddy.com and to plan our route home.

Lastly, there is a little outdoor "spa" at the end of the building, where my daughter could dip at the end of a long, hot day. She enjoyed this little one-person swimming pool, and I was glad there wasn't anyone else there.

I'd spend the money to stay here again. Best Western quality is dependable, reliable, and consistent. Travel on!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel are quieter - the parking lot runs the length of the front.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Amy W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Rose Quartz Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
I am so happy that our hotel was able to offer you all the things you required during your stay. We strive to be as accomodating as possible. We enjoy knowing that the time we take to make our guests feel comfortable is noticed. Please come see us again the next time you visit the park. We'll be happy to have you.
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed here for two nights as the location is close to Lassen NP. We were warmly greeted by a guy called Chris and efficiently given our room. The room was spacious and clean with good quality bed linen and very comfortable beds. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice of food and again a friendly server who was efficient and helpful.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in the Chester area and when we visit again we will book here without reservation.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy that you found our hotel so accomodating during your stay. I will personally pass on your kind comments to Chris. I'm sure he'll enjoy hearing of them. We hope to see you again next time you visit Lassen Volcanic National Park.
Ventura, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights and was nice and was a overall great place to stay.
Not too many choices in Chester, Ca area and this is one of the nicest motels in town

Pros: Newer and very clean motel and rooms
Very friendly and helpful young staff
Room was large and very nice and the bed was comfortable
Bath room was clean and very large
WiFi system and parking is free as it should be at almost every hotel motel
Breakfast area is clean and staff was very attentive to the needs of the breakfast customers.

Cons:
No swimming pool and hot tub area is very small
Bath shower head is one of the water savers so showers sprays on you.
Has grass area with grill and tables that attracts the rowdy adult beverage drinking guests
Old school type 27" television set with very limited channels
Hotel room walls are very thin so you hear a lot of noise and room doors slamming
Heavy truck and motorcycles traffic in parking lot area and where running early in the parking area.

Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Rose Quartz Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We strive daily to provide the best hotel expierience that we are able to give. We, at the BEST WESTERN Rose Quartz Inn, look forward to your next stay.
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is a clean convenient motel for visits to Lassen about a half hour away- it is pricey for the room, but a lot less than the charming but very expensive bed and breakfast inn in town. The rooms are large, spotlessly clean bathroom and bed linens, but have small windows and are a bit dark. The ceilings are thin, so try to get an upper floor or you will hear every footfall from above. The 'breakfast' is the usual motel buffet, but an easy start to the day. Chester is a dying town with limited restaurants. Lassen has a very short season, so the nearby hotels charge a high price and are full.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for completing a review of our hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel.

BEST WESTERN Rose Quartz Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN Rose Quartz Inn? Share your experiences!