“Fun resort for all ages” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis

Save Saved
You added Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis to your Saves list
Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   34567 Cathedral Canyon Drive, Cathedral City, CA 92234 (Formerly Desert Oasis Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cathedral City
San Diego
“Fun resort for all ages”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

We rented from a timeshare owner over Spring Break and had a great time. We liked that it is a smaller, 3-story resort, the room was very well furnished and comfortable, the grounds, and view of the mountains, was beautiful, and we loved all of the activities and things to do.

Unit: All the units there are 1-bedrooms. Ours was good-sized, with classy updated furnishings, great kitchen w/ lots of storage and everything you need. We loved our location in Room 560 - right near the activity center and overlooking the pool and beautifully landscaped courtyard. As other reviewers have noted, a LOT of the rooms overlook the parking lot; only a few dozen overlook the pool/courtyard, and a fair amount have a nice view of the golf course and mountains (I'm sure I wouldn't have rated it as high if we were in a parkling-lot view room).

Activities - there were tons of planned activities throughout the day, every day. We took part in the morning walk around the neighborhood (free), the water aerobics (free; ok; instructor wasn't great); ping pong tournament, stained glass candle making ($5), decorative coat hanger painting ($4), bird house and tote bag painting ($7) the free face-painting, free coffee on the weekend, dive-in movie at the pool w/ popcorn and snacks available, champagne Welk-um, and Parents Night Out (twice/week) - just $15 for 1st child, $10 for additional siblings, 6-10 pm, and it included dinner and activities - very cool!

Activity center - was perfect for kids - 2 ping pong tables, 2 pool tables, air hockey, lots of games and puzzles to check-out, DVDs for rent, Wii, crafts. 2 computers with free internet access and printers (very convenient); fitness center at the back of the activity center wasn't fancy, but had several cardio machines and weights.

Facilities - two pools, jacuzzi, tennis courts, my husband played on the Cathedral Canyon golf course there and liked it (just $29 w/ cart), clubhouse restaurant (generally closes at 6pm), horseshoe pits, and a basketball hoop in the parking lot. There was a snack bar at the poolw/ reasonable prices, but the food we tried was not very good, with the exception of the $2.50 chicken tenders for the kids. They also had root beer floats or build-your-own sundae nearly every afternoon for just $2.50-$3 (yum) and happy hour pool-side 3:30-6. Service was very friendly and accommodating.

Nearby attractions - we loved Knott's Soak City nearby (online discounts available, or get a season pass for just $49 which you can also use at Soak Cities in San Diego and Orange County); Boomers right down the street (mini golf, rock wall, bumper cars, bumper boats, video arcade); Vons and Trader Joe's nearby. Not too impressed w/ the Thursday night Village Fest downtown (just an average farmer's market), but loved the Palm Springs Art museum (free every Thur. 4-8 pm). Also really enjoyed the Living Desert, w/ many flowers blooming, and the kids loved feeding the giraffes, riding a camel, and the butterfly pavilion where we were surrounded by beautiful butterflies and hummingbirds. Overall, a great family trip.

Room Tip: Ask for courtyard/pool or golf course/mtn view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

We had never been to the Lawrence Welk resort in Palm Springs and were very happy with our stay. The timeshare had 2 flat screen TV's and everything we needed. The pool was pleasant and there was plenty of room although it was not crowded at this time. It was great to be able to use the internet in the activity room to check my emails. I thought the resort was convenient to everywhere we wanted to go. We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

We booked a one bedroom the week of Dec 17-24. The resort is overlooking a golf course and adjacent to a tennis club. The area is nice and quiet but you need a car to be able to get to other attractions. If you want to play tennis you need to get a weekly pass for $50 and a fee for rackets rental (we brought our own). The room s is comfortable and has lots of space. We used the walk-in closet as our son's bedroom so everyone had there own space. The game room has two Ping Pong and two pool tables so the waiting time is minimal. Over all the place is not fancy but clean, friendly and well kept

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

We booked two nights at the Welk Desert Oasis Resort online, and drove up from San Diego. Easy drive over Thanksgiving Week. The weather was 65, but the hotel had lots of options to keep everyone happy and busy. The room was great - we had requested a ground floor, pool view room (to get more sun) but we were given room 501. I could not be bothered to go back and ask for a change, so we stayed. 501 is a great room, and would be perfect in the height of the summer. Nice shade in the afternoon from the tree's and building. View is of the parking lot. 506 would be the room I would pick next time, full sun, facing the pool.

I found the snack bar lacking - the staff was great, but the choices were limited. But Desert Oasis is a Time Share - so more people cook their own meals. We were looking forward to the pool side bbq but that was canceled because of the holiday (thanksgiving).

We were also unable to get room service, or book a table at the golf club because of the holiday. (late planing is never a good idea... over holiday weekends).

We stayed two nights, and our room was never cleaned, nor were we asked if we wanted fresh towels or our beds made. I am not sure if it was a Time Share resort, or because we were in our room in the AM.

The family activies are fun. Loved the choice, and costs are low. I wish they would have a afternoon of baby sitting so that parents could do a round of golf, but all in all we enjoyed it very much.

I had a poolside massage. The girls were very nice, and I asked if they were trained, RMT and I was told they were. Well, I have to say.. keep your $20, and don't book their services. Waste of money IMPO. BUT it would have been a nice touch if they were more skilled.

I did find some staff were lacking that "little something" that sets a hotel apart. They were not bad, but no one went out of their way, or made a effort. They showed up for work, and did their job. (I am saying this as someone who has worked in travel for many many many years). Good service goes a long way. The hotel could do with some improvement on that front. Again - it was not BAD service, it was just service.

The hotel had free Wifi, but it was so so so slow, we ended up signing up with At&t 3 G network. Not sure if its Palm Springs, or just the resort.

Would we go back? Yes, we would. Next time I would book further ahead, make sure I had dinner rsvn and bring more food to make on our own.

I think the staff is what is keeping this resort from getting a higher score.

T

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

This was our first trip to Palm Springs and it was to celebrate my b'day. We booked a three night stay through RCI Points. My husband and I are in our mid-30's and we were teased a lot by our friends when we told them we were staying at the Lawrence Welk resort! Boy, were they jealous when we got back and told them how wonderful it was!

We arrived at the resort around noon and they had a room ready for us, but since I mentioned it was my b'day and I wanted a second floor room with a view, I told them we would happily wait if there was a matching unit available. They were very happy to work with me and told us to come back in a few hours. We then set out to tour the downtown area and have lunch. We stopped at a Von's on the way back and picked up some food to stock our kitchen. When we got back, we were still a little too early, but they were very happy to take our groceries and store them in their office fridge. Once we finally checked in I was very pleased - second floor with a beautiful view of the golf course and mts. Plus, there was a bottle of bubbly and balloons for my b'day - very nice touch! The unit was very spacious - large, fully stocked kitchen, with actual storage space for food you might have brought. The living room was nice, appointments were updated and in good condition. The bedroom was good sized, the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was huge and the tub/shower combo was larger than average. Lots of storage space.

We did hang out at the pool a couple times and it was nice and quiet. Had a few drinks from the poolside bar. I only used the activity room once - to print our boarding passes. Nice space. All of the staff we encountered were VERY nice and accommodating. We were asked once by the concierge to do a presentation, but she was very understanding when we said no because we already own 8 weeks and were only there for three nights.

Had two wonderful dinners out - my b'day meal at Roy's in Rancho Mirage was spectacular. Their service is top notch and the food is incredible. Our last night we had dinner with our family (who just happened to be down there at the same, not planned!) at Blue Coyote in the downtown area. Delicious Mexican food and the atmosphere was excellent. They saw several of us women were wearing sweaters (it was a little chilly that night), so they sat us a table in the back (the same table Robert Redford sat at a few months ago!) and turned on the overhead heaters - very nice.

Also did the tram and had lunch at their nice restaurant at the top. It was very windy and cold up there, so dress appropriately! A couple of us women took the 20 minute drive to the outlet malls and were very pleased with our shopping experience. Many more outlet stores than we have in Portland, OR! It was also jammed packed with people - who knew we are in a recession! While we shopped a couple of the men played golf at the course there at the resort. My husband is an avid golfer and he was a little disappointed with the course, but was happy to just get out and play during the month of November.

We definitely recommend Desert Oasis and look forward to a trip back soon!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Buena Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

When I booked the room here I thought... its gonna be just a room with a bed ..I really didn't expect much. Then when we all walked into our room I was kind of blown away. The room looked really modern, seems like the furniture was recently upgraded. There was sooo much room i couldn't believe it. The rooms have some pretty modern decor, flat screen tv, lots of closet space, and a small balcony with some chairs and a table. The pool isn't all that big, but not so small I could really complain. The only thing I didn't like was the poolside snack-bar. To be honest it looks kind of ghetto. There are hand written signs with prices of their "specials" all over the wall and window. When i stepped up to order there was a guy making food (same guy who took my order) but it was all out on the counter and it just doesn't look sanitary. I just didn't like it. So bring your own food to the pool. They have grills and tables, you're better off doing that. There are plenty of things to do for families with small kids. And the gym is pretty small. Only has a few machines.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles. CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We had a fabulous time. The resort was clean, and small enough to feel intimate, but there was plenty to do. The recreation staff offered activities for all ages, and the poolside snack bar was convenient. Great location, close to Highway 111, with several nearby restaurants and shopping centers. The pool area was spacious and never felt crowded. Our villa was beautiful with a fully equipped kitchen and a spacious bathroom. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis? Share your experiences!