We rented from a timeshare owner over Spring Break and had a great time. We liked that it is a smaller, 3-story resort, the room was very well furnished and comfortable, the grounds, and view of the mountains, was beautiful, and we loved all of the activities and things to do.
Unit: All the units there are 1-bedrooms. Ours was good-sized, with classy updated furnishings, great kitchen w/ lots of storage and everything you need. We loved our location in Room 560 - right near the activity center and overlooking the pool and beautifully landscaped courtyard. As other reviewers have noted, a LOT of the rooms overlook the parking lot; only a few dozen overlook the pool/courtyard, and a fair amount have a nice view of the golf course and mountains (I'm sure I wouldn't have rated it as high if we were in a parkling-lot view room).
Activities - there were tons of planned activities throughout the day, every day. We took part in the morning walk around the neighborhood (free), the water aerobics (free; ok; instructor wasn't great); ping pong tournament, stained glass candle making ($5), decorative coat hanger painting ($4), bird house and tote bag painting ($7) the free face-painting, free coffee on the weekend, dive-in movie at the pool w/ popcorn and snacks available, champagne Welk-um, and Parents Night Out (twice/week) - just $15 for 1st child, $10 for additional siblings, 6-10 pm, and it included dinner and activities - very cool!
Activity center - was perfect for kids - 2 ping pong tables, 2 pool tables, air hockey, lots of games and puzzles to check-out, DVDs for rent, Wii, crafts. 2 computers with free internet access and printers (very convenient); fitness center at the back of the activity center wasn't fancy, but had several cardio machines and weights.
Facilities - two pools, jacuzzi, tennis courts, my husband played on the Cathedral Canyon golf course there and liked it (just $29 w/ cart), clubhouse restaurant (generally closes at 6pm), horseshoe pits, and a basketball hoop in the parking lot. There was a snack bar at the poolw/ reasonable prices, but the food we tried was not very good, with the exception of the $2.50 chicken tenders for the kids. They also had root beer floats or build-your-own sundae nearly every afternoon for just $2.50-$3 (yum) and happy hour pool-side 3:30-6. Service was very friendly and accommodating.
Nearby attractions - we loved Knott's Soak City nearby (online discounts available, or get a season pass for just $49 which you can also use at Soak Cities in San Diego and Orange County); Boomers right down the street (mini golf, rock wall, bumper cars, bumper boats, video arcade); Vons and Trader Joe's nearby. Not too impressed w/ the Thursday night Village Fest downtown (just an average farmer's market), but loved the Palm Springs Art museum (free every Thur. 4-8 pm). Also really enjoyed the Living Desert, w/ many flowers blooming, and the kids loved feeding the giraffes, riding a camel, and the butterfly pavilion where we were surrounded by beautiful butterflies and hummingbirds. Overall, a great family trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Welk Resort Desert Oasis boasts 350 days of sunshine a year, with an average yearly temperature of 75 degrees. With breathtaking panaramic views of the San Jacinto Mountains, the resort is located 10 minutes from Palm Springs in Cathedral City, California. Swim in a large pool or lap pool, soak up some sun, or enjoy championship golf and tennis at our adjacent Cathedral Canyon Golf and Tennis Club, including a restaurant with locally inspired cuisine. Experience luxurious vacation villa accommodations that include full kitchens, living and dining areas, and private bedrooms with king beds. Activities Center includes fitness room, billiards, air hockey, darts, and Ping-Pong tables with planned activities and classes for all age groups. An arcade is next to the Activities Center. And when you’re ready to explore, nearby Palm Springs offers plenty to see – You won’t want to miss the Aerial Tramway, The Living Desert, Indian Canyons, Knott’s Soak City, Children’s Discovery Museum and Air Museum, world-class dining and shopping, including the popular Cabazon outlet, thrilling casinos, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Priceline, Expedia, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Desert Oasis Hotel Cathedral City
- Desert Oasis Cathedral City
- Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis Cathedral City, Greater Palm Springs, CA