Other than a few employees (the manager and everyone at the front desk, except Jessica) this place was a nightmare. My mom and youngest sister, my sister and her baby and husband, and my husband and myself all met at this place for a nice relaxing weekend together for the first time in forever, and it was the worst place I've ever stayed in my life.
This place is in need of a serious make-over. My mom's room was disgusting. The curtains were stained black from dirt and who knows what else, the roll aways had holes in them, the floors had stains all over, and bed sheets looked like they were a good 20 years old, and everything else was just so outdated. When I went down to check into my second room, I asked to speak with the manager. I explained everything to him, and after him telling me he knew the rooms were gross and needed to be renovated and that is why my rate was at a low price of just over $100, he agreed to lower the cost I was paying per night to "the rate of a motel 6". Seriously? Way to sell your business, dude.
The place was a ghost town. They advertise on their site that they have a nice pool side bar and cabana, but the bar was closed. On a Friday evening. And they had a total of 3 umbrellas for the 50+ chairs out there. The pool area itself was so pitiful. They provide towels for you along with a giant, dirty bin for people to dispose of them in (which wasn't even used judging by the dirty, smelly towels thrown all over the ground and chairs out there). The floor of the pool is covered with weird brown stains and the was white, bubbly crap at the top of the water. We weren't sure if that was from people spitting in the water, or from the couple we witnessed having sex, more than once. We sat near the stairs for a few minutes, but got out after some obnoxious, drunk idiot walked past us announcing the water behind him was warm because he just peed in it.
We went back upstairs and I tried calling the front desk to ask for new towels since housekeeping never came to do our room while we were out. The first time it rang, someone picked up, then hung up a second later. The second time, Jessica picked up, asked me to hold, then hit the hold button before I could even say anything. I eventually hung up after waiting over 10 minutes.
Also, the whole trip our key wouldn't work for their side door the was right by the elevator to get to our room. It wasn't just the 4 keys between our two rooms. It was every person I saw trying to get in this way, no matter how many times we went to the front desk to have them re-key it. If we weren't lucky enough to be trying to get in at the same time another guest was walking past, we would have to walk to the other side of the property to get in. Not too bad when it's just my husband and I, but pretty awful when it's 110*+ AND we have a 9 month old with us.
The only perk to this place was the view. It is beautiful! We had a nice wrap around balcony, so we could see everything. That, plus the few people at the front desk that were willing to apologize for an awful experience are the only reason for the two stars. If this property does a complete renovation and takes the time to really train their staff, they might have a chance to turn this deserted hotel into something people might enjoy staying at.
If you are on a very, VERY low budget and don't have any standards at all when it comes to where you stay, by all means, stay here. Otherwise, I'd recommend looking for somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether you're looking for a quiet weekend getaway or a productive business trip, the Desert Princess Golf Resort offers the perfect blend of business and leisure amenities. Surrounded by majestic mountain views, just minutes from downtown Palm Springs, the Doral features 285 guest rooms & suites, 27 holes of championship golf, an Olympic size swimming pool, two hot tubs & over 23,000 sq. ft. of technologically inspired meeting space. The perfect getaway once it's time to get away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, BookIt.com, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Desert Princess Palm Springs Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doral Desert Princess Resort Palm Springs Hotel Cathedral City
- Doral Desert Princess Cathedral City
- Desert Princess Palm Springs Golf Resort Cathedral City, California Desert, CA