“Racist Staff Clerk :(” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Castro Valley
Bay Area
“Racist Staff Clerk :(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I couldn't even stay here. The hotel clerk accused us of being under the influence and neither one of us smokes. I was so upset because we were so exhausted from work and we just wanted to relax. She was very rude and had a horrible attitude. I had asked her if she was refusing us service to due us being BLACK and she admitted yes. I was so upset and I could not believe it. When she could see that I was so shocked and upset she quickly changed her answer to no. She refused to give me her name when I asked for it. She also threatened to call the police. I informed her that I was going to call and let her manager know and she yelled and told me to leave. I called her manager today and informed him on what happened and he took my name and number and said he would contact after he after he spoke with her. I have yet to get a call back from him today. I will be calling back tomorrow and if nothing gets done I will contact 7 ON YOUR SIDE to let everyone know and to get this out. NO one should ever get treated like this. This is never okay. I will keep you guys posted on what happened. NEVER COME HERE!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Arlington, Tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Room was clean. Location is a problem. The entrance driveway is almost impossible to turn left into since it is so close to the corner and you have to turn against three lanes of traffic sitting at the traffic light. Worse part is the free breakfast. There is no eating area in the lobby but it doesn't matter because there are only donuts for breakfast anyway. Just grab a donut and a cup of coffee and return to your room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

"Non-smoking Room" smelled like stale smoke. Toilet seat was filthy (was put up by housekeeping, but never cleaned), sheets on both beds had cigarette holes burned in them, sheet on one bed had a soiled spot. Thankfully I had my own blanket to sleep in so I didn't have to touch the sheets. ICK! Wish I had read the reviews before stopping here.

Room Tip: You can get a much accommodations someplace else for the same price.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Elizabeth, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

donuts and coffee in the morning, the rooms could have been cleaner, i had to check out 4 rooms before i could find one that did not stink like cigarettes, and it was very loud the other guest are rude, i could not use the a/c because people were standing near it outside smoking and the smell was coming in my room, i wont ever stay here again, i would rather sleep in my car.,

Room Tip: I don't think they have any good rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place has awful smells.It was supposed to be non smoking but had a strong odor from smoking and who knows what else.The room was not very clean either...there were various dirt and blood spots on the walls the carpet was dirty...ashes on the floor next to the nightstand.We stayed a second night only because we didn't want to try and find another place.The second nite we came back to a room that was barely cleaned and the sheets were not even changed.
I wonder if they were even changed before we got there! The continental breakfast was coffee and some poor quality donuts.The furniture was old and beat up and some lights and wall sockets didn't work.The only good thing was that the internet worked well.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hayden, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We originally booked at another Hotel but couldn't believe the horrible accommodations. We drove around and not only did my Husband and I stay, but other family members as well. The Staff were incredibly helpful, the rooms were very nice and Clean. We showed last minute and they not only gave us a tour beforehand they graced us with our every want. I don't often write reviews, unless there bad. But I read the reviews on here previously and we chose another hotel because of them . Econo Lodge Turned out to be the best and great price. Goes to show people, like myself need to review not just small stuff, but also when it exceeds expectations! Whenever we go back down again, we're definitely staying at Econo Lodge Only!

• Stayed September 2012
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This budget motel provided a useful stopover between a long transatlantic flight and the drive to Yosemite. We had a large bedroom and bathroom, which fortunately was away from the road, so very quiet. There was some old furniture and fittings, but the place was very clean. There is a light complimentary breakfast (doughnuts and coffee), which was welcome.

There isn't a lot to do in the vicinity, but the Safeway supermarket opposite was useful so we could stock up for our trip; a Subway sandwich shop is also located across the road.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!