“My Favorite Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Santa Maria, California
“My Favorite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I dine out often and this is the all time favorite, regardless of location within or outside the country. It has a rustic atmosphere which would certainly match it name, "The Hitching Post". There is another restaurant located in Buellton, CA which is a good to very good restaurant, but pales in comparison this one located in Casmalia. The steaks are superb and Lewis, the primary chef is exquisite in his preparation of the food and he always comes out to personally greet me and my wife when we dine there. I also noted that he washes his hands when he returns to the cooking area which is fully visible from the dining area located near the kitchen. The servers are friendly and efficient. As I stated in the title, this is my favorite restaurant and I have been to thousands of them during my lifetime.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tuolumne, California
“Best food ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We started eating at the Hitching Post 3 years ago after finding it in a magazine. Our first mistake was ordering the Artichoke. They were so delicious that we ordered more of them before our steaks arrived - almost filling us up prior to what we had come for. Full or not, we dug into the great smelling rib eyes as soon as they arrived. They had a special seasoning of oil and salts that I had never had before. It was totally different and new to our taste experience. Add the oak smoke from the open fire, and these steaks were in a class by themselves.
We drive from the Sierra Foothills north of Yosemite just so that we will have an excuses to stop in for dinner at this out of the way treasure in the middle of nowhere. The only thing that would make The Hitching Post better is if it was closer so that we could come more often. If you are ever in the Pismo area, do yourself a favor and take the drive to.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“As good as it gets.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

If you want a great steak this is the place to eat. We ate here last year on our wedding anniversary and returned again this year for our 58th anniversary, and were not disappointed.
The atmosphere is cowboyish as it should be as the place is just across the road from cattle grazing on a ranch. The population of Casmalis is about 200 and is in the middle of no where but well worth the drive. they have steak & seafood cooked over wood fire on a grill. I had a 10% top sirloin med. well and it was cooked to perfection, juicy and tender. It doesn't get any better any where, also the staff is great. We drove 4 hours to get here and you can bet we will do again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Pasadena, CA
“Great steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Here are some pictures from from my dinner at The Hitching Post. [http://www.hitchingpost1.com/index.html] This is not Hitching Post II in Buellton. HP I is in Casmalia, population 200. This place is so remote there is no cell phone coverage. After I turned off US 1, I drove for about 7 minutes before reaching the restaurant, without seeing another car. A sign in the restaurant said the seating capacity is 85. I sat at the bar. I asked Lena the bartender sho served me how big a steak has to be for charred rare. She went and told the cook that's how I want my steak and I got it charred rare. Lena told me afterwards the chef lowered the grill to get the effect. Luckily the grill was not busy so the chef could do that. Dinner came with a relish tray, shrimp cocktail, a salad, garlic bread, dessert and coffee. The 7-oz sirloin was deeply favorful, sufficiently chewy for a steak. The Hitching Post is also a winery and I had a glass of their Pinot Noir and a glass of their Syrah. Unlike Hitching Post II there is no wine sampler. Unfortunately these wines could not match the intense flavor of the sirloin. On the first day of summer the temperature was 58 F at 6:30 pm when I left.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Clemente, California
“Just something about this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Forget the lame Buellton scene and go to the original in Casmalia. If you are looking for premium sides and other amenities, this is not the place. However, if you are looking for meat expertly grilled on a sweet Santa Maria set up, this is the place. Cheesy salad, cheesy bay shrimp cocktail, cellophane packaged crackers instead of bread, scoop of ice cream all included with succulent sausages, quail, ribs and steak. What's not to love? Middle-of-nowhere spot we just can't get enough of!

• Visited May 2013