“Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
United States
“Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Second time we have stayed here while participating in the Santa Barbara Avon Breast Cancer Walk. Rooms are very large (plenty of room for the 1 queens, plus a roll away plus an air mattress) and clean. Beds are a bit soft for my taste, but comfortable. Pool is small but quaint. Nice landscaping and lobby. Breakfast is as you'd expect...eggs, sausage, yogurt and a bunch o' carbs (not even any fruit, except for overripe bananas!). Staff is very attentive and friendly. Only gripe is the price, and although I stayed on points, I would not have done so if I had th pay the $285 price tag...but I guess it is what the market will bear!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Got a last-minute room here for one night and got the AAA rate of $160/night, which, for a weekend night in the summertime, is a good rate for any hotel near the California coastline. Rooms were large and clean with no signs of wear and tear. Landscaping and pool area were kept up quite well, all in all one of the nicer HIE's I've been to (and I've stayed at a lot of HIE's). Service was decent enough (but we didn't have any special requests either), breakfast was the usual for HIE, and for you pet owners, it's pet-friendly. A good choice for the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mensign, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We find that many of our guests who stay at Holiday Inn brands appreciate our large (over 400 sq.ft.) rooms, and our outdoor pool and whirlpool spa, heated year round. Carpinteria is a beautiful, small, quiet beach town and we're only 15 minutes from Santa Barbara. Many of our guests find the difference in rate is worth the short drive versus staying in Santa Barbara. Most prefer the vibe & ambiance in Carpinteria and just leave their car in our lot and walk to the beach or downtown in our very pedestrian friendly city. We hope you visit again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The hotel has a nice feel. It's easy to find from the highway but also an easy walk to town and the beach. The rooms are good and the small pool and hot tub perfect for a bit of sun bathing. The breakfast could do with some tlc but that was our only complaint.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

First let me say that I have never had such bad service in my life. The general manager was the most rude hotel personal that I have ever delt with. The problem is they refiused to honor the rate that was quoted to us over the phone. The assistant manager even said he heard the employee give us the rate and never tell us we had to have a goverment ID for each room. Several of us called the hotel before our stay and they never said anything about the restrictions. When the manager was called on this and we said we would cancel our reservation his responce was "good then I will keep your deposit, sell your room for more and good luck finding a room else where" nice guy. Also the person who made the reservation is a two time Vet is this how we treat our war veterans.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
mensign, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
I am sorry that this guest was disappointed that our hotel would not extend a Government rate to non-government travelers during a sold out summer weekend. Contrary to the statements made by the guest in the review, the government rate was never quoted for the reservations in question. Rather, a group of guests who were attending a social function demanded that the rate on all of their rooms be reduced to a government rate due to the fact that one member of their party was affiliated with a government agency. Our government rate offering clearly states "for government employees only traveling on official government business". This was clearly not the case with this party. In addition, we specifically do not offer a government rate on holidays or busy summer weekends, even if traveling on official business.
Sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The rooms are big with two queen beds and a pullout couch and the rooms are updated. The staff at the front desk was very helpful. The breakfast is nothing to write home about, it's fine if you like carbs and sugar. The hotel is along the freeway but we didnt hear any noise. It's not cheap though. We got a last minute (day of rates) which was the lowest on internet and still almost cost $200.

california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

So...I don't usually post reviews, but felt I needed to this time. This hotel is WAY too expensive for what you get. I appreciate that it's a dog friendly hotel (we have 2, but were not traveling with them). BUT....if you're going to be dog friendly, you must accept responsibilities with that. What I mean is, if you allow dogs, you better shampoo the carpets frequently. Yes, our carpets were riddled with dog pee stains. This is a $200 per night (minimum) hotel, and you have dog pee stains on your carpet?!

Also, there is no business center. They have 2 extremely out of date computers sitting in the lobby and yes, they charge you for pages printed. The wifi only works in the lobby as well.

The day staff was nice, the night staff...not so much. I was sitting in the lobby when a person walked in and asked if there were rooms available (there were) and if they had the cool pancake machine. The staff said, "Yes."

The pancake machine had been broke our entire stay (3 days), so I told the gentleman inquiring, "the pancake machine is broken, so if that's a deal breaker, I'm so sorry that the front desk woman lied to you."

Not great...too expensive. Will not be staying here again....UNLESS... they make some very inexpensive alterations.

1- Upgrade the wifi service
2- Buy a couple of new computers
3- Buy a carpet cleaner and require the maid service to clean the carpets after every dog stay.

Such easy fixes and this hotel would be great. Poor management if you ask me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear jennnickrob,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am glad that you found our location satisfactory to your needs. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
LA area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel several times over the last 5 years. Just spent last weekend here. Parents stayed here too. Just noticed several "little things" adding up that went wrong over the course of 2 days. First, my parents room was supposed to be a handicapped room with a walk in shower and two queen beds. Nope. And it wasn't cleaned and ready when the front desk clerk insisited it was. We walked into a dirty, unmade room. Maid apologised profusely and quickly cleaned. My room was supposed to be 2 queen beds (I had two kids with me). Got a king bed. Had to ask for roll away. No problem. One of my kids enjoyed the roll away.
toilet paper holder was completely torn off and sitting on top of vanity. told front desk they needed someone with a screwdriver to screw it back into place. It never got fixed while we were there and I reminded front desk twice.
Hair dryer in my room didn't work, after I pushed reset button, etc etc. It never got fixed even though front desk said they'd sent someone over "right away'.
Mold in my shower/tub. And I mean mold. Yuck.
Breakfast was ok. Pancake machine broken with a sign on it. Everything else fine.
Front desk staff just ok.
Maid service very polite.
Pool was clean. Kids enjoyed swimming. Jets in jacuzzi didn't work.

Room Tip: first floor is nice and close to the pool.