“Ada H” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
Millbrae, California
“Ada H”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stays at the Sandyland Reef Inn. It's affordable rates and the hotel staff had excellent service, specially, the desk lady's name Ivonete was friendly and very helpful! The room was clean.

Room Tip: Affordable rates and excellent service
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
thousand oaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have been very satisfied with the price of the rooms and the friendly staff who are always willing help you in any way. The location of the hotel is excellent, because you're right between two major cities, Ventura to the south, and Santa Barbara to the north, both where you can find all shopping needs met. I look forward to my next stay at the Sandyland Reef Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Paula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I've enjoyed my stays here at The Sandyland Reef Inn, affordable rates, excellent service by the hotel staff. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends most definitely! It's location is perfect for those of you who are visiting the area, in which case you have beautiful Santa Barbara to the north(15 mins. away) or the beautiful beaches of Ventura, down the 101 freeway to the south( also 15mins. away) Business or pleasure The Sandyland reef Inn will take care of you and make your stay as comfortable as can be.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was in Santa Barbara on a Friday night this summer without an advance reservation, and the Sandyland Reef Inn was the only sub-$100 motel I found in the Carpinteria-Santa Barbara-Goleta area where it didn't look like I would get mugged. Check in and check out went smoothly enough. The room I stayed in was clearly basic and old, but luckily it was not dirty. I didn't see any sketchy people around the premises, and the neighborhood seemed fine too. Carpinteria is a bit of a bore, but this place worked fine for an overnight stay. I'll never make the no-reservation mistake again, but it's nice to know there's a halfway decent option short of driving to Ventura.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Party hotel with unsavory element hanging out outside all night. Lots of couples checking in for a few hours and the lovely hum of the to lul you to sleep or not. We had the special treat of being awoken by the sound of EMS paramedic collecting the guest next door. What else can I say about this place. If you want a place to party with your 20 year old friends or have a triste with your partner this is he place.

• Stayed September 2012
Indio, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was our second summer to vacation in Carpinteria. We enjoyed the Sandyland Reef Inn. We especially enjoyed the clean sheets, freshly painted rooms, hot jacuzzi,large pool, and a huge icemaker. We will definitely return next summer.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Avoid this hotel-it is unsafe. We stayed 8/25 because the Motel 6 next door was sold out and we needed to be there for a family event. The rates was very expensive at $135 per night for a mediocre room. We were only in the hotel for about 2 hours when there was a huge banging on the room next to us like someone was trying to kick the door in. A few minutes later somone was yelling in the parking lot for help and to call 911. The hotel operator did not pick up when we called the front desk. Whoever was at the front desk finally picked up when we called from our cell phone and was only mumbling on the line. When I asked if we were safe, he wouldn't answer. After the police came my husband opened the door and said that this was the third call and third time they were at that hotel. We grabbed our stuff and left at 12:30. The night manager wouldn't refund our money even though we were only there 3 hours. He passed the buck to the hotel manager and refused to void the transaction. When I called the next day as instructed, I wasn't able to speak to the manager but was told other people had left the property as well. When I finally did speak to the manager, he refused the refund.

I should have looked at the ratings first and in hindsight we should have paid another $30-$50 and gone to Santa Barbara. Nothing is worth risking your safety. Don't stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: freeway location-ground floor rooms have a window in the bathroom. Take ground floor in case their...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sandyland Reef Inn? Share your experiences!