“great location, but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carpinteria State Beach Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carpinteria
Carpinteria State Beach Campground
You added Carpinteria State Beach Campground to your Saves list
5361 6TH ST, Carpinteria, CA   |
everywhere
“great location, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Watch out for the wildlife! As a camper without a motorhome, I normally cook and eat happily outdoors using the supplied table. However, at this campground it is not really safe to cook or eat outdoors after dark. The raccoons will approach your table and, for lack of a better word, attack for your food. So get your cooking and eating done before dark, and move ALL your food and even your ice chest inside your vehicle. All garbage must be disposed of before dark, too.

Also, on my most recent visit I encountered trouble with the pay showers -- the water went completely ice cold after about three minutes and it was nothing to do with the large amount of money I put in. I did not feel that staff were particularly responsive.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

Overall this beach was wonderful. I went for two nights for my birthday. Tent camping and RV sites are a small walk from the beach. Rangers were very nice and very lenient. Bathrooms were okay considering the the amount of people using them. Showers were alright, bring lots of quarters. Amtrack goes right through the campgrounds so that takes a little getting used to. Gorgeous sunsets! We saw dolphins and seals from the beach. Tar pits and tide pools were cool as well, got lots of great pictures. The town of Carpinteria is also very quant and cute, shops and food are a walk away. Overall a great place to take family & friends. I had a great time!

• Stayed March 2012
Apple Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I'm afraid to let people know how great this place is....rules are rules and thats what you have at a state park, Rules. We have been going to carpinteria for years. Not only have we met nice people, we have never met unfriendly workers, even the police who drive through to check things out have been very nice. Is it Perfect, NO, and No place is. If carp. is so....bad, then why can't we get reserv. half the time. Always booked, although when we are there and comp. says booked, not always the case. Its the way the campsite is run, and that is by the state, so what does that tell you, so therefore rules are rule. If this camp ground was closed it would be a devasting to us beach lovers. This beach has all kinds of sea shells you can collect, when tide is low you can go out on the rocks and see all colors of star fish, you can sit on the beach and watch pods of dolphin go by. But yea, you haters stick to the forest! AND you can walk to town and browse, shop and eat at plenty of good rest.'s.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I suppose if you're used to living on top of one another, this may not be such a bad place to "camp". Basically we found the place to be nothing more than a parking lot next to the beach. Most of the sites leave barely enough room to walk between your vehicles. We must have had at least 100 people cut through our site durning our one day stay. $35/night for a dry site is shameful for this place. Definitely won't go back. We will stick to the national forest campgrounds from now on. After seeing this place, maybe California does need to close some of its parks and rethink their efforts.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012 via mobile

I'll keep it short. My husband and I arrived early in the afternoon for a simple one might stay. When we drive up to our site, we realized we were directly next to a large RV with a loud motor running. Our fire pit was less than 10 feet from theirs. Being January, there was hardly any other spot occupied in the campground. We asked if we could move even just one spot over to at least get somewhat of a nice quite camping feel. Nope, not even a chance. She just kept repeating herself in an extremely condescending way, "this is a site specific camp." I have camped many times befor and have never experienced this inflexibility and complete and utter disregard for someone's comfort. The only way we could switch would be to simply spend another $35 to reserve another spot. Being that we are both grad student barely struggling to get by and this was the first little getaway we had been able to do in quite some time, we decided not to give yet more money to this place. My husband and I ended up sleeping in the car and suffice it to say, we did not have the quick yet peaceful getaway we were hoping for. Thank you carpinteria for ruining what few days my husband and I get off from our jobs together once in a blue moon. Next time, I would budget and splurge on an actual hotel somewhere, or take a few days more off and drive to one of the much better campsites further up north. I mean, it's beach camping, I was not so nieve to expect a true camping experience, but what I did expect was to at least be treated as a person and not just a site number.

• Stayed January 2012
Redondo Beach, Calif.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

We go tent camping each year with a large group of families. We've stayed at beaches from San Diego to north of Santa Barbara, but we'd never tried Carpenteria before. It was OK for one experience, but no one wants to go back. I agree with an earlier reviewer who said it wasn't so much a campground as it was an all-night tailgate party. Spots are VERY small, there are tons of vehicles and tents are nearly on top of each other. Much of the campground is nothing more than a large parking lot. We had a group spot on the edge so at least we had some breathing room. We liked the short walk to the beach and we even took advantage of the close businesses and restaurants since we knew in advance they'd be a stone's throw away, but that's not the way we normally like to camp. If you like to have people in apartment buildings watching as you camp, this is the place for you. A note about the raccoons: yes, they will come out at night and steal what they can. We heard a tremendous noise one night and realized they were in the trees above us. They may have been fighting over some stolen food; it sounded quite vicious.

Room Tip: You can see how individual camp spots look by going to this site
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

This was our maiden voyage from San Diego with a recently purchased 27 foot travel trailer. We knew very little about the area other than it was 12 miles south of Santa Barbara on the beach. Descriptions of natural tar coming up from mother earth made us wonder if this was the right place for us. It was perfect!

We stayed a week right on the beach with lots to do. Wonderful bicycling and hiking paths in both Carpenteria and Santa Barbara. The best part for us was having beautiful nature all around and still being able to stroll into a quaint little beach town for dining, shopping, etc. We loved the state beach, the great support from the rangers, the very kind and courteous fellow campers, exploring Santa Barbara and the wineries of Santa Ynez and Solvang. We will be back!

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Carpinteria State Beach Campground? Share your experiences!