“Total emersion in quiet and reflective atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tassajara Zen Mountain Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carmel Valley
Tassajara Zen Mountain Center
You added Tassajara Zen Mountain Center to your Saves list
39171 Tassajara Rd, Carmel Valley, CA 93924-9316   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carmel Valley
Olympia, Washington
“Total emersion in quiet and reflective atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Nothing happening here. If you are a practitioner of Zen Buddhism you'll know what I mean.
If not, know that the food is the best on the planet, the bath houses are like something out of a dream with hot spring fed outdoor soaking pools, and if you bring your own wine there is a refrigerator next to the dining room where you can chill it. It's a place to sleep, eat, read, soak, and get a taste of monastery life if you desire. And the coffee is excellent - if that matters and it does to me. Every guest house has many kerosene lanterns for night time lighting so if you like to read in bed, bring a little reading light.
It's remote and a hair raising drive into the valley but oh, so worth it

Oh, nothing like room service in case that's your deal.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I just returned from my fourth visit to this magical place and feel renewed and relaxed. Tassajara isn't for everyone, especially those who needs lots of activities and a steady stream of media (TV, internet, phones, etc.). But those who appreciate the splendor of nature, the taste of a locally-grown organic food, and richness of mindfulness activities like hiking or meditating, this place might be for you. Separated from the rest of Carmel Valley by an unimproved and twisty 15-mile road, getting to Tassajara is an odyssey and once I arrive, I feel like I am very far away from civilization...akin to being on Santorini or Corsica.

The cabins have a rustic quality, with kerosine lighting and simple furnishings. But everything is done with a zen-like attention to detail, including quality bedding and sheets, beautiful woodworking, and cleanliness. There is no media of any sort -- just one telephone for all the visitors to use, if they must. As a technology executive, I really welcome the opportunity to be this unplugged.

There is a Japanese-style bath house that is wonderful. The setting is green and lush, with the sound of rushing water in the background due to the stream, with hotsprings, that runs the length of the valley.

All meals are taken communal-style in beam and stone-faced dining room. Going alone? Not a problem because you meet interesting people at every meal. The recipes are from the famous Tassajara cookbooks. I am not a vegetarian but enjoy the meals and never feel hungry or short-changed afterwards.

Be sure to book a massage, which is done outdoors in a screened tent. One of the best I have ever had...the resorts invites a different massage therapist every week to stay at the resort and provide massage services.

Like I said, this is not for everyone. But if you like unstructured time to hike, nap, and read, talk and cuddle with your partner, this is the place. It is a truly unique experience that leaves me with the feeling that I went faraway...even though it is just four hours away from San Francisco.

Highly Recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

I didn't know what to expect when my partner invited me to Tassajara. I thought "oh my God" another spa-like place in Carmel Valley. Not that that is bad but I really didn't understand what Tassajara was til I got there. It is gorgeous, serene and the subtext of Zen students who quietly make the place run without a glich is quite something. It's all the attention to details, the food is exsquisite. The bells to wake you in the morning sound like sleigh bells on rain deer. The laterns that light the paths at night. The outside tubs where you can star gaze and hear the river ripple by. And the rooms, so peacful and well appointed. I don't think calling them cabins is quite accurate. Of course there is no electricity but I didn't feel deprived. I also loved being able to get a taste of zazen, which is sitting quietly in meditation. But I didn't feel like I had to.

My favorite was the outdoor courtyard where everyone gathers for tea in the afternoon. What a relaxing place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I have been going to Tassajara from when I was 7 years old. I'm now 53. I lived in Jamesburg at one time and also in the mountains off the county road. I now live in Seattle, Washington and have returned after many years. I love Tassajara. My only complaint was the women working in the book store was rude and not interested in helping us. The monks and lay monks were wonderful. It has more beauty now then ever. I was so sad to here of the fires. I truly hope all can be restored and its not to much for the monks.
Kimberly

Stayed August 2006
sherman oaks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

Nestled in the Carmel Valley mountains, very rustic, wonderful hotspings. Redwood cabins with woodburning stoves. There is a creek that runs through the property. Hiking, swimming in an olympic sized pool filled with mineral water from the mineral spings, and beautiful Japanese bathhouse with natural hotsprings. The food is vegetarian and GREAT! This is not a fancy 5 star resort. It is laid back, relaxing and out in nature.

• Liked — Rustic, relaxing, mineral hotsprings
  • Disliked — bugs
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

For years my wife and I had heard interesting reports of the Zen Center. We finally decided to stay a few nights and experience it for ourselves. We were independent guests and not part of a workshop or other organized event.
Accommodations are very basic, but the food is good. Overall we found the experience boring and confining. The facility is very remote. The site is dry and dusty. The routine is regimented and the atmosphere is somewhat gulag-like. In three days we read seven books between us.
In our opinion the road was not as difficult as the website implies. I wish we had driven in and then been able to leave when we wanted.
It is also quite expensive. What three days cost us we could have spent nearly a week in San Francisco.
It wasn't our cup of tea, but others may find it delightful.
Bring you own alcoholic beverages.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Tassajara Zen Mountain Center? Share your experiences!