“Romantic Get-away!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Carmel Valley
Brentwood, California
“Romantic Get-away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

My husband I and spent a glorious weekend here in March and truly enjoyed every moment. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted with a glass of Bernardus wine which really set the tone for the relaxing weekend to come. Our room was spacious and comfortable with a fireplace and a beautiful view of the gardens and Carmel Valley. The weather was perfect, chilly in the morning and evening but sunny and warm during the day. The pool is heated and there is crocket or bocce ball on the grounds. There was a gorgeous regional park near bye where we were able to take a leisurely stroll near a creek. The views are phenomenal, and the valley's mountains were dramatic and plush with green trees and foliage. We dined at both restaurants on the property and were impressed with the quality and service. Our dinner at Marinas was a highly memorable experience. My favorite part of our trip was my massage at the spa. My masseuse was amazing. My husband enjoyed the pianist who played in the lobby after our dinner Saturday night. He was entertaining and only enhanced our over all experience with his incredible talent. It was a nice change from the cold coast to revel in the sunshine and beauty of the Valley. We love Carmel Beach, and will come back to Bernardus in the future.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any location.

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Newboro, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Change of ownership has brought changes. We didn't know of a change of ownership on checkin but felt something was different (we've stayed here 5 times before). We are a member of leading hotels of the world which you pay to be a member and expect to receive certain benefits one of which is room upgrade if available which we did not receive even though the lodge was not booked. We pre paid our 5 day stay with Bernardus thru Leading Hotels as requested and the money was taken from our account 10 days before arrival. When we checked in we confirmed our payment and gave a credit card for incidentals. During our stay we checked our banking and found two separate charges amounting to about the amount of our stay even though we had prepaid for our stay. When questioned they said it was preauthorized and no payment would go through. Payment went through. We spoke to a manager and and he said he would look into it. We never heard back. We called our bank and had the charges reversed. The two separate charges were at best deceitful and possibly even fraudulent, after reading other reviews we realized Bernardus was under new management. Our experience is that front staff and management were hopeless. The staff you encounter around the property were friendly and very helpfull as always as in our previous experiences. This experience will definitely make us think again of staying here again. And indeed influenced our decision not to eat at the excellent Marinus restaurant as much our loss as theirs. We probably will try staying here once more because we've enjoyed it so much in the past but are certainly not impressed with this experience. In the meantime check your charges.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We were looking for a weekend get away with our top priority being something quiet, close to Carmel and hiking, and great quality. This was it! We had stayed here before and enjoyed the location, proximity to Carmel by the Sea, Carmel Valley and Big Sur. It is a beautiful property with great amenities. Recommended!

Room Tip: As for quiet room as they have them! We stayed in #2 and never heard anything!
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Nestled in the foothills, this luxury resort offers uncompromising service, excellent food and wine, and tranquil surroundings. While only 30 minutes away from the tourist hub bub of Monterey, one might as well be hundreds of miles away in a tranquil countryside.
The rooms are nicely furnished and the amenities appropriate for a luxury property.
Guest services skills are exceptional from front desk staff, various managers, down to room attendants.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This place is set on a gorgeous property with a great staff! I can not emphasize how sweet the staff was, the service at this hotel is just out of this world. The rooms are nice, but the bathrooms are a bit outdated. The spa is quite lovely. I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend this place without a hesitation. When we were leaving the staff put water bottles in our car (it is the little things that set a place a apart). This place is not ultra luxurious but you will be very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Garden Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Things have changed. First the staff is still friendly, but there was a lack of staff, seems they are cutting back. Our room was nice, but it is getting quite run down, carpets are worn, the curtains are unraveling. The rooms need a major upgrade. There was only one valet on the day we arrived and he was quite busy. The resort fee no longer includes tips to the staff. One of the major flaws is the overwhelming septic smell in different areas of the hotel, at over $400 per day they should included free gas masks. Took four different phone calls to get room service. First call to room service rang at least ten times until finally the concierge answered, she connected me again and still no answer, she answered again and said he must be delivering. So you have one person to answer the phone and deliver food. Seems to be another cut back. She connected me directly to Wickets, no answer again. Finally after about half an hour of going back and forth I finally got someone in room service. He was not very personable. Conversation sort of like "what do you want". They say they serve Illy coffee. They no longer do and the coffee was awful. The food was good, but the eggs were cold. Maybe room service cooks the food too.

I told the front desk about the coffee asked why it says they serve Illy coffee on the menu when that isn't what they serve. No answer. There was no valet when we went to get the car, we finally had to get the front desk to radio him. After waiting ten minutes, my husband went and got the keys, which were kept in an unlocked cabinet. They are not great on security and went and got the car himself. When he got back with the car, the valet showed up, he had to go pick up a guest with their luggage and bring them up to their car. Seems valet has more than one duty now. Needless to say, this was the third time we had been here and things a definitely going down hill and at these prices we will not be back.

Tom G, Manager at Bernardus Lodge, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Our sincerest apologies for the circumstances you encountered during your visit with us. We can do better tha what you experienced - and we've made important communication on staffing in these departments to support the expectations that should be met.
We are in the final stages of detailing a very complete renovation here at Bernardus in the very near future. Guest rooms, restaurants, and all public areas will enjoy a complete refreshment. The wonderful ambience will remain - but with a wonderful updated feeling.
I thank you for your comments and would enjoy the opportunity to offer personal assistance if you would find yourself traveling this way in the future.
Kind regards,
Tom Glidden/GM
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Perfect. Awesome. Beautiful. Everyone is super friendly. My dog and I had a wonderful "girls weekend"! The food is amazing. The wine superb. I LOVE I was offered a glass of their Sauvignon Blanc upon check in. And then found a full bottle of it with yummy cheese and crackers and fruit in the fridge!
The staff is fabulous and helpful and HAPPY. The fireplace, the huge bath tub, the pillow-top bed, the quietude. I also appreciate the sustainable efforts: not just "don't have your towels washed daily" but also, large refillable toiletry bottles, recyclable bins and optional lights with operable windows. So perfect! The grounds are gorgeous-- I love seeing the mountains. And so many places to hike and enjoy nearby. The spa was amazing too. (I might have overindulged there…) I can't wait to come back!!!
The only thing I'd recommend is that the place is so dog-friendly: they should have a designated seating area outside where you can dine with your furry family member.
Oh, and I went in March. Just me (single female with my dog). Apparently, more singles and youngish people stay in the spring/summer/fall for weddings, so that might be more fun if you're looking to mingle. But I just wanted to escape and read a book. Though, I made a number of friends because everyone was so darn nice and easy to talk to! :)
Also, check for Groupon. I found a much better deal there and on Kayak than on what they offered on the webiste (or on phone)! (like $500 off!)

Room Tip: I loved Room 37: large (prob too large for just 1 person and a dog), but the huge soaking tub was so...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Bernardus Lodge? Share your experiences!