“Incredible Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carmel Valley
Houston
“Incredible Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Nestled in the foothills, this luxury resort offers uncompromising service, excellent food and wine, and tranquil surroundings. While only 30 minutes away from the tourist hub bub of Monterey, one might as well be hundreds of miles away in a tranquil countryside.
The rooms are nicely furnished and the amenities appropriate for a luxury property.
Guest services skills are exceptional from front desk staff, various managers, down to room attendants.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This place is set on a gorgeous property with a great staff! I can not emphasize how sweet the staff was, the service at this hotel is just out of this world. The rooms are nice, but the bathrooms are a bit outdated. The spa is quite lovely. I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend this place without a hesitation. When we were leaving the staff put water bottles in our car (it is the little things that set a place a apart). This place is not ultra luxurious but you will be very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Garden Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Things have changed. First the staff is still friendly, but there was a lack of staff, seems they are cutting back. Our room was nice, but it is getting quite run down, carpets are worn, the curtains are unraveling. The rooms need a major upgrade. There was only one valet on the day we arrived and he was quite busy. The resort fee no longer includes tips to the staff. One of the major flaws is the overwhelming septic smell in different areas of the hotel, at over $400 per day they should included free gas masks. Took four different phone calls to get room service. First call to room service rang at least ten times until finally the concierge answered, she connected me again and still no answer, she answered again and said he must be delivering. So you have one person to answer the phone and deliver food. Seems to be another cut back. She connected me directly to Wickets, no answer again. Finally after about half an hour of going back and forth I finally got someone in room service. He was not very personable. Conversation sort of like "what do you want". They say they serve Illy coffee. They no longer do and the coffee was awful. The food was good, but the eggs were cold. Maybe room service cooks the food too.

I told the front desk about the coffee asked why it says they serve Illy coffee on the menu when that isn't what they serve. No answer. There was no valet when we went to get the car, we finally had to get the front desk to radio him. After waiting ten minutes, my husband went and got the keys, which were kept in an unlocked cabinet. They are not great on security and went and got the car himself. When he got back with the car, the valet showed up, he had to go pick up a guest with their luggage and bring them up to their car. Seems valet has more than one duty now. Needless to say, this was the third time we had been here and things a definitely going down hill and at these prices we will not be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tom G, Manager at Bernardus Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Our sincerest apologies for the circumstances you encountered during your visit with us. We can do better tha what you experienced - and we've made important communication on staffing in these departments to support the expectations that should be met.
We are in the final stages of detailing a very complete renovation here at Bernardus in the very near future. Guest rooms, restaurants, and all public areas will enjoy a complete refreshment. The wonderful ambience will remain - but with a wonderful updated feeling.
I thank you for your comments and would enjoy the opportunity to offer personal assistance if you would find yourself traveling this way in the future.
Kind regards,
Tom Glidden/GM
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Perfect. Awesome. Beautiful. Everyone is super friendly. My dog and I had a wonderful "girls weekend"! The food is amazing. The wine superb. I LOVE I was offered a glass of their Sauvignon Blanc upon check in. And then found a full bottle of it with yummy cheese and crackers and fruit in the fridge!
The staff is fabulous and helpful and HAPPY. The fireplace, the huge bath tub, the pillow-top bed, the quietude. I also appreciate the sustainable efforts: not just "don't have your towels washed daily" but also, large refillable toiletry bottles, recyclable bins and optional lights with operable windows. So perfect! The grounds are gorgeous-- I love seeing the mountains. And so many places to hike and enjoy nearby. The spa was amazing too. (I might have overindulged there…) I can't wait to come back!!!
The only thing I'd recommend is that the place is so dog-friendly: they should have a designated seating area outside where you can dine with your furry family member.
Oh, and I went in March. Just me (single female with my dog). Apparently, more singles and youngish people stay in the spring/summer/fall for weddings, so that might be more fun if you're looking to mingle. But I just wanted to escape and read a book. Though, I made a number of friends because everyone was so darn nice and easy to talk to! :)
Also, check for Groupon. I found a much better deal there and on Kayak than on what they offered on the webiste (or on phone)! (like $500 off!)

Room Tip: I loved Room 37: large (prob too large for just 1 person and a dog), but the huge soaking tub was so...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is one of those places that you might never discover unless someone tells you about it. Nestled amongst rolling vineyards, the property is beautiful, and it only gets better from there as you drive up. We stayed on a business trip, but all of us had our SOs as well, so it was both a couples trip and a business trips. [Hint to TA: allow us to pick more than one category for the "Sort of Trip" designation]. From the valet, to the offered glass of wine at check-in [sitting at a comfortable table/desk], to every single aspect of staff service, the staff makes you feel like you are their only guest. I know that one other reviewer seemed to feel that the property and service and value had declined a bit, but if so, I can only imagine what it once was like.

Our group was relatively large, approximately 25, and meal service at both Wickets and Marinus was top notch. Multi-course meals were served timely, and wine was refreshed promptly. I know it is always possible to have a let-down experience, but that was not our case. Our trip planner companion commented as well that in all the various resorts our group had been able to stay, Bernardus was among the best. Personally, I have stayed in 5-stars in a lot of places, and none were more pleasant than this.

If memory serves, the property only has about 55 rooms or so, and I think that small size pays off in the attentiveness of the staff. I normally travel with a set of "green proteins" that I try to get blended into a smoothie in the mornings. Lots of places don't like this, because they have to wash their blenders, and I understand that perfectly. In those situations, I just hand-mix it myself. But at Bernardus, not only did they take the process off my hands, but each morning after the first, a staff member would greet me and ask if I had my "green packets" for them to mix up, and asked what other ingredients I wanted in my smoothie. That is service.

The spa is excellent. Both my GF and I loved it. The men's locker room was nicely furnished, and I was given my choice of beverages both before and after spa to enjoy. The masseuse paid particular attention to listening to my massage needs [post-cancer surgery issues] and gave me easily the best deep tissue massage I have had in years.

There is simply nothing I could offer to improve this place. It's even reasonably priced. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. Upstairs or down doesn't matter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

This is a wonderful property. A fabulous setting, well-located, with great architectural bones and appointments. We loved the spa, the restaurant and the countryside for walks and hikes. But most of all, the staff was wonderful across the board. Specifically, Paul Wedero, the sommelier; Alex Oplpin, at the front desk; Scott McQuiston, who made early morning coffee for our golf outings; and Miguel Lopez, whole handles parking, luggage, and directions.
The property has just been sold to new owners, we can't wait to see how they enhance what is already a 'jewel.' We'll be back.

Room Tip: We chose the section which has rooms 1 - 6 and think it was perfect.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have to give my most rave reviews to this excellent establishment. From the moment you walk in, the staff is attentive to your every need and to the quality of the stay. Upon entering, we were greeted with a complimentary glass of their house Bernardus Winery) wine. It was a great start to a relaxing weekend.

The rooms themselves are well acquainted - upscale though not oppulent. It does have the feel of a "lodge"; though I will say the 2 person tub and separate shower were very nice amenities. The rooms come with a certain amount of stocked snacks and beverages (wine, cheese, sodas, chips and cracker) that are all included free of additional charge. My wife and I enjoyed the wine and cheese as a later night snack.

Both eateries are top notch - both food and service.

A special little extra point, the valet left 2 bottles of water in our cup holder for our trip home. A simple but wonderful gesture in my opinion.. The type of thing a place with quality customer service would do!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Tom G, Manager at Bernardus Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thanks you so much for sharing your enthusiasm for Bernardus - our staff enjoys feedback for their efforts, so we are constantly providing TA reviews. We learn from constructive commentary, and we smile when we receive comments such as yours.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Tom Glidden/GM
Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Valley Ranch
#2 of 23 in Carmel
4.5 of 5 stars 854 reviews

Been to Bernardus Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!