We spent two nights at Bernardus as part of a trip giveaway my wife won on www.authenticluxurytravel.com. Everything about Bernardus is relaxing, from the entrance and greeting area, to the grounds and the room itself.
We stayed in Suite 16, overlooking the bocce lawn. Our room had a king bed, cafe table, sitting area with a fireplace, and a very large bathroom. It also had a very nice outdoor sitting area which was raised slightly above the lawn. Our room was probably a standard room, maybe a little higher, but it was wonderful. It came came stocked with a variety of snacks and several half bottles of wine, plus soft drinks and a carafe of drinking water.
Our package included dinner at Marinus, the upscale of the two restaurants on the grounds. Dinner was terrific; in fact, we never saw a menu. We were simply fed a selection of the chef's choice which included a crabmeat and beet salad, roasted duck breast, and a dessert. There were also a couple of amuse bouche between courses. While our dinner was included, we opted for the wine pairings which were $45 per person, but well worth it. The sommelier poured a different wine with each course, and explained each one. We enjoy wine, but never would've selected the wines or the pairings, yet we enjoyed them all.
On the day we left to return home, my wife and I each had massages at the Berandus spa. The massage was excellent, as was the spa itself. Before our appointments we were able to lounge in the heated pool, and were able to enjoy a sauna as well.
Bernardus is not inexpensive, but it a wonderful place to relax for a couple of days. It is also a nice change of pace from the also terrific village of Carmel-by-the-Sea.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Majestic, pastoral and artistic, there's no place like Carmel Valley. And there's no better way to tap into the small-town charms than at Bernardus Lodge & Spa-an indulgent 28-acre escape. Tucked away among rolling vineyards and gardens, Bernardus invites you to savor the intimacy of a boutique resort with an epicurean spirit and a soothing soul. Retreat to the warmth of an old friend's rustic-chic ranch estate, where high-touch service welcomes you home. Here's your chance to unplug, unwind and savor time well spent, whether it's pursuing a new interest or perfecting the art of basking in the warm Carmel Valley sun. Stroll our organic chef's garden and watch a true garden-to-table experience. Grab a gourmet basket and find a picnic-perfect spot with your partner. Share a glass of Pinot. Dabble in Carmel Valley's endless pursuits, all curated by our local staff for the ultimate insider's experience. Then sink into the cozy furnishings of a redesigned guestroom open to the outdoors. Relax, reflect, rejuvenate and breathe deep. Bernardus captures the magic of Carmel-and the memories that matter most. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, T4B, LHW, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Bernardus Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bernardus Hotel Carmel Valley
- Bernardus Carmel Lodge Valley
- Bernardus Lodge