We spent two nights at Bernardus as part of a trip giveaway my wife won on www.authenticluxurytravel.com. Everything about Bernardus is relaxing, from the entrance and greeting area, to the grounds and the room itself.
We stayed in Suite 16, overlooking the bocce lawn. Our room had a king bed, cafe table, sitting area with a fireplace, and a very large bathroom. It also had a very nice outdoor sitting area which was raised slightly above the lawn. Our room was probably a standard room, maybe a little higher, but it was wonderful. It came came stocked with a variety of snacks and several half bottles of wine, plus soft drinks and a carafe of drinking water.
Our package included dinner at Marinus, the upscale of the two restaurants on the grounds. Dinner was terrific; in fact, we never saw a menu. We were simply fed a selection of the chef's choice which included a crabmeat and beet salad, roasted duck breast, and a dessert. There were also a couple of amuse bouche between courses. While our dinner was included, we opted for the wine pairings which were $45 per person, but well worth it. The sommelier poured a different wine with each course, and explained each one. We enjoy wine, but never would've selected the wines or the pairings, yet we enjoyed them all.
On the day we left to return home, my wife and I each had massages at the Berandus spa. The massage was excellent, as was the spa itself. Before our appointments we were able to lounge in the heated pool, and were able to enjoy a sauna as well.
Bernardus is not inexpensive, but it a wonderful place to relax for a couple of days. It is also a nice change of pace from the also terrific village of Carmel-by-the-Sea.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lodge is widely recognized as one of the top winemaking estates in California. Founded by celebrated winemaker Bernardus Pon, the Lodge resembles a classic European country inn, with 57 suites, a luxurious spa, award-winning restaurant and the Bernardus Winery and Vineyard. For a relaxing getaway, an off-site retreat, or romantic wedding, discover why Bernardus has become the luxurious heart of Carmel Valley. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LHW, Jetsetter, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Bernardus Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bernardus Hotel Carmel Valley
- Bernardus Carmel Lodge Valley