“My Love Hate Relationship with Bernardus Lodge” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Breakfast for two
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carmel Valley
San Francisco, California
“My Love Hate Relationship with Bernardus Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have been a steady "resident" of Bernardus Lodge since it opened many years ago. Each room is beautiful and the pool and spa area are relaxing and peaceful. Both restaurants are fabulous and food is delicious and consistent. The grounds surrounding the resort are immaculate and the staff are caring and friendly. My love has been explained- My hate is their rates and their cancellation policy. The rates flux from the sublime to the ridiculous. In the summer when they are inundated by Hollywood visitors- rooms soar to over 1200 per night-in the fall when the simple folk return the rates return to a still hefty 500-600 night rate plus resort taxes. I still return since I am in love with this place and like with all love affairs-they are ups and downs in the relationships. BTW Room service is divine!

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool if possible
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We pulled up in the driveway to be greeted warmly, after obtaining a tag for the car we were advised to proceed to reception up the stairs, upon entering the building we were greeted and welcomed again warmly and offered a glass of "champagne" to drink while sitting, once ready, the staff showed us to our room and finished the check in process.

A tour of the property was offered and was very helpful in settling in.

The room was excellent, great fit out, very clean, good sized bathroom with a large separate bath. the extras were a very nice touch as other people have listed.

The pool area was nice. great steam room and sauna.

Lunch and breakfast in the courtyard area was delightful.

The stand out if I can even say that was the restaurant, the service from the moment you walked in to the quality of the food was outstanding.

The previous night we had dinner at the "French Laundry" in the Napa Valley, I know which restaurant deserves the "3 Michelin stars".

I can honestly say that this resort met and exceeded every thing we had hoped for.

In all our travels rarely have I found a property that has delivered in all aspects.

This property achieved a rare thing; great staff, clean and beautiful rooms and an in house restaurant that was beautiful to be in and delivered on every part of a dinner experience.

Thanks for being there, when we are next in the States you will be on our must do list.

Room Tip: We had a room to the side upstairs at the front, great view of the mountains and trees, very handy t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife and I have enjoyed Bernardus several times. It never fails to relax us. from the moment you arrive you are well taken care of. The beauty of this location is the fact you are in the Carmel Valley away from the tourist in Carmel. There are great golfing opportunities just down the road. Who doesn't like room service - its quite good and prompt. Marinus Restaurant does live up to its reputation as being the best restaurant in Carmel. Well worth the cost - especially if you are staying at the lodge. Golf, swim, nap, get ready for dinner and walk 100 feet to a great dinning experience. We will go back - probably several more times - just doesn't get old.

Room Tip: the rooms bordering the croquet court are very nice and great people watching.
hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

this hotel is so peaceful and relaxing, with very comfortable rooms and was much nicer than we expected and set in lovely grounds. There is a complimentary 'wine grotto' in the room, which includes wine, goats cheese, crackers, popcorn brownies, chips, etc. Spa quality toiletries. Beautiful spa and excellent food. There is a lovely outdoor fireplace to relax by after dinner, or petanqe if you feel more energetic. The staff are very warm and welcoming. We wouldn't heisitate to stay here again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure to stay here during Labor Day Weekend. The service was top notch. They give you a glass of wine when you check in. Since it was our first time here, they give you a tour before escorting you to your room. I love when hotels do the check in procedures in the comforts of your room. We stayed in the luxury room which was overlooking the croquet lawn. We got lucky because it was a beautiful sunny weekend in Carmel Valley. The room was large with a gas fireplace. Also, we enjoyed the complimentary mini-bar which included 3 half-bottles of their wines. My husband and I plan to stay here again when we feel like just getting away. We booked a package for our room that came with breakfast. It was amazing how quick room service was. I also recommend dining at Marinus. It is an exceptional experience.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed here with family and had a great time. Lovely atmosphere and good food and wine. The place is perhaps a fraction dated but the welcome and ambience made it hardly matter. Would definitely return and against the odds it was the favourite hotel of my 6 year old son on our recent trip....

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My 13 year old son and I stayed at the Bernardus Lodge. It was a spontaneous trip. Other hotels not available. The setting is beautiful. The service was amazing and the room we had was great. I am a vegan. The chef at the lodge not only accommodated me but gave me my own special menu with various vegan options. It is a 5 star resort and it did live up to what you would expect from a luxurious resort. My only negative comment about the resort is the fitness center. It is small with very limited equipment. Not up to the standards of the rest of the hotel. There were a few other families at the hotel, while my son and I had a great time I would REALLY recommend Bernardus for adults. Highly recommend for a romantic getaway. Would not recommend for families.

Room Tip: If you want to splurge. Ask for the room with the hot tub.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bernardus Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!