“Class act” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carmel Valley
Santa Barbara, California
“Class act”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Having stayed at this lodge a few years ago, I`d almost forgot how special and classy it is until returning recently. The rooms are exquisitely appointed and supplied with quality amenities that are not usually found in high end resorts. The foyer has a copper covered bar with a spacious under the counter refrigerator stocked with cheese, white wine and fruit juices. Filtered water and 2 bottles of red wines with wine glasses are on the counter along with bags of potato chips, popcorn and sweets, al complimentary. The bathrooms are large with double sinks, a large jacuzzi tub, separate shower area and separate toilet. The bathroom amenities are of the highest quality. The large bedroom/ living room area has a fireplace, seating area with a sofa and swivel chair, flat screen TV and a table for 2 with fresh fruit. Their is an outside private patio with wooden chairs and tables. Quality robes and slippers are also provided.
It does not get much better than this and there is more. The lodge itself is classy, has wines, fruit and comfy seating areas. The staff is very friendly and service minded. The dinning areas both inside and out are perfect settings for the quality dinning offered from a top chef, Cal Stamenov who is as good as they come.
The lawn has croquet set up and their is a tennis court. Hiking is also an option.
Located in the quiet and peaceful Carmel Valley 11 miles from Carmel, this is a retreat for those desiring to have a class, country romantic experience.

Room Tip: There are different configurations of the many units, some one ground level and some on bi-levels...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay and had a great time! The weather was perfect and even allowed for lounging by the pool.

our room could have used a refresh...but was comfortable and spacious. The food is expensive but good especially the mushroom pizza - the best! The fire on the lobby is so welcoming and cozy.

Yes this place is expensive but look for special deals that make the nightly rate much more reasonable. Ask when you make your reservation.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Glen Rock, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in November of 2011, and this place just knocked our socks off. I didn't write a review back then, but I happened across this trip advisor page and I read the 5 reviews that give this place only one star - I balked, am convinced they must stayed some place else, and felt the need to counter.

My husband and I came to the Bernardus because my sister was getting married there. Originally, we thought we wouldn't be able to afford it, but we got an awesome deal on jetsetter that allowed us to get a room normally $500/night for only $200/night. The exceptional thing about this place was that from the moment we arrived, they were there to meet our every unanticipated need (unanticipated by us, that is). We show up, they start by valet parking our car for free. We go into the lobby, they hand us a glass of their vineyard's wine, and have us sit comfortably by a roaring fire while they check us in. Then they took us to our room - the cheapest one I believe - and it was amazing. The bathroom was the size of my bedroom at home, and had a HUGE jacoozi tub, and then a separate shower. The mini fridge, normally to be ignored in most hotels due to gauging, was filled with COMPLIMENTARY gourmet items, such as ridiculously good goat cheese, artisinal crackers, and by the way, here are TWO free bottles of nice wine, one red and one white. They didn't just clean your room once a day, but they actually came back a second time for turn down service - not so rare in a luxury hotel - but at the bernardus, they turn on your in-room fireplace (yes, there was one of those), dim your lights, put on romantic music, turn down your bed, and put a vial of soothing aromatherapy oil on your pillow - and no, they didn't forget the mint. Every time we went to our car, and they brought it around, they had two new bottles of water for us - nice little touch.

On the second day, we made our way to the spa. We didn't actually get any services that we paid for, but they welcomed us anyway. I asked where the jacoozi was, and they said they didn't have one - they have a "warming pool". What's that? I wondered. Well, it's a pool, not big, but a decent bit bigger than a jacoozi, that is set to the temperature of a perfect bath. So you have room to swim around in it, and it's warm, but not so hot that you can't put your head under water. When we were done with that, we showered and got into our robes in their lockerrooms, and sat by a roaring fire in the middle of the spa, and enjoyed little spa refreshments.

Our experience was so good, that we have since tried to achieve it at other hotels, but to no avail. We live on the east coast, so the night after our wedding, we drove to the Hershey Hotel & Spa in Hershey Penn., which was around $700/night, and is supposed to be one of the finest spas in the country - it didn't come close the Bernardus. Nothing else has since.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The staff was delightful and the grounds are gorgeous. We stayed for 4 days for my sister-in-laws wedding in December 2012. I was impressed at how helpful and friendly everyone was, dedicated to making your stay an enjoyable one. The rooms are done well and the food was excellent. Loved Wickets Pub and the outdoor fireplace for a nightcap. The Lodge is located close enough to Carmel with plenty to do if you like to explore. There are also hiking trails just a 3 minute drive down the road. We can't wait to return for a longer stay we the weather is a bit warmer so we can enjoy the pool also.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Carmel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have visited this property several times for lunch or dinner but never had the opportunity to stay overnight. We chose to stay on Christmas. The hotel was charmingly decked out for the holidays and we strolled the grounds virtually alone. We enjoyed a delicious late lunch in Wickets before checking into our room. We spent the rainy evening in front of our fireplace drinking champagne that we brought and the wonderful Bernardus wine provided in the room at no additional charge. A fantastic spa visit started off the day before we departed. I would recommend this hotel and hope to stay here again myself.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

A year ago, we came to Bernardus for the first time on my birthday. I gave the Lodge 5 stars and a glowing review. I sent complimentary emails to the General Manager because several of the staff had made us feel like the we were the most important guests at the hotel and I wanted them to be recognized.

We came back this year for another special birthday weekend and we brought some friends. I was really looking forward to the same magical experience that we had last year and for the most part, our stay was very enjoyable. However, I cannot give it the full 5 stars this time. Here is a breakdown of why:

We were warmly greeted by the porter/ valet parking attendant who took our bags and walked us up to the front door. Here is where the hotel fell FAR SHORT of what we had experienced last year.

The woman who greeted us and took charge of our welcome is named Sydney. She was cordial but not overly warm or welcoming. We were asked if we would like a glass of wine which we accepted and sat in the sitting area. In a few minutes, Sydney came back and said she was ready to show us our rooms. I asked if we could take our time and finish our wine and we lingered another seven or eight minutes. When we were ready, we told her and she asked if we needed 'a tour of the property.' I said yes as our friends had not been here before (a fact that we had just mentioned when we arrived).

The 'tour' of the property was conducted with Sydney walking briskly to our rooms, as if she was in a hurry. My husband and I looked at each other and raised our eyebrows. We were checked into the rooms without any explanation of the gourmet food items in the room (they are there to be enjoyed and not an additional charge) nor any other information (like an invitation to the wine tasting in the main area that night, or the spa hours, etc.) Not even an offer of 'please let us know if we can do anything else to make your stay enjoyable.' Needless to say, it was disappointing given the level of service we experienced last year.

That first night, Friday,we were heading to dinner and my husband noticed that there seemed to be something going on in the lobby as we passed (yes, it was the wine 'happy hour' that we were not invited to or told about). We went to this last year and had a great time meeting other guests and talking about the wines of the region. When I called and made our reservation, I was told they weren't 'doing the wine tasting' anymore so I assumed, since Sydney had not mentioned it, that that was the case. Not so. This stung and combined with the less than warm welcome we had, I couldn't help but be disappointed.

Saturday during our exploration of the town and the tasting rooms, we were told by a local that the Lodge has a piano player on Saturday night. Sure enough, when we were leaving for dinner on Saturday, the piano player had already begun for the evening. I walked over to the front desk and asked Syndey and Zach, the Front Office Manager, who were both at the desk, why we were not told or invited to the wine tasting. He apologized. Sydney said nothing. I then asked why no one told us about the piano player on Saturday nights. No answer. I asked if there were any other 'events' from now until we checked out that we should know about. There weren't any. I ended by saying that we were very disappointed that we had been told there were no tastings on Fridays and weren't invited when there was one. The response was interesting to watch - Zach was apologetic and uncomfortable. Syndey looked almost hostile and for the rest of the stay, was what I'll call 'resentfully cordial.'

You can read my review from last year to learn about the spa, suite, and general bucolic setting of the Lodge, all of which are lovely.

I also thought it was thoughtful that I received chocolate truffles from Zach with a nice birthday note. It's the little things that make you feel special.

There were a few staff members this time that deserve to be mentioned: the housekeeping staff were friendly, polite and did an excellent job. We were gone for an hour and a half for breakfast and when we came back to the room, it was already cleaned. The turndown service is a nice touch, too.

Erika, in reservations, was a huge help with restaurant information and noting the specific request we had for a foam pillowtop instead of the down that is normally on the bed. She was nice and always prompt in her email responses.

The porters and valet parking attendants were also very polite and helpful ~ our luggage was in our rooms when we arrived and garment bags were hung in the closet. Tim (Dawson?) who always had a smile and kind word for us whenever he saw us deserves a special mention. Tim is what we have come to expect from all the Bernardus staff.

Sadly, though most of the staff was up to the 5 star standard we associate with Bernardus, it only takes one to effectively tarnish what would have been another magical stay. Maybe next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in lower level room 47 which I liked a lot - nice private patio with a hill in front betw...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Our 2 night stay at the Lodge was wonderful. The rooms were well set up. We had 2 double beds (rather bizarrely called queen sized in the US), a lovely bathroom, open fire nd outside patio. We opted for the $50 per day included breakfast option, and two plates of food were enough to feed all 3 of us. We did think $8 for a coffee was a bit steep! They made thoughtful touches like stocking the fridge with soy milk when they knew one of us was lactose intolerant. The room rate included all the minibar contents, which we couldn't consume! They even managed to pack our car boot with all the,luggage - which until then had required some back seat space. You pay a $24 resort fee to cover tips except for restaurant staff, which for us Aussies made life easy!

Beautiful setting, really helpful and kind staff made this a memorable stay. We would happily return.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bernardus Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!