“Perfect for family or romance” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th night free
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carmel Valley
Adelaide
“Perfect for family or romance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Our 2 night stay at the Lodge was wonderful. The rooms were well set up. We had 2 double beds (rather bizarrely called queen sized in the US), a lovely bathroom, open fire nd outside patio. We opted for the $50 per day included breakfast option, and two plates of food were enough to feed all 3 of us. We did think $8 for a coffee was a bit steep! They made thoughtful touches like stocking the fridge with soy milk when they knew one of us was lactose intolerant. The room rate included all the minibar contents, which we couldn't consume! They even managed to pack our car boot with all the,luggage - which until then had required some back seat space. You pay a $24 resort fee to cover tips except for restaurant staff, which for us Aussies made life easy!

Beautiful setting, really helpful and kind staff made this a memorable stay. We would happily return.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have spent the last two New Year's holidays in Italy. This year, she had been quietly disappointed that I chose otherwise until just minutes after our arrival at Bernardus Lodge. Starting with the Valets upon arrival the service has been exquisite. The staff at Registration make you feel like dignitaries and present you with your first glass of wine. We are here celebrating our 45th Anniversary and everyone knows our name, is aware of our special occasion and gives us sincere congratulations. The Management sent a premium gift bottle of champagne to our room (which has a private patio and jacuzzi). The furnishings, fireplace and complimentary minibar put the "cherry on the cake." My wife has already determined this is where she wants to be every year. We have been to many great places but Bernardus Lodge has jumped to the top of the list.

• Stayed December 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Bernardus Lodge is an amazing winery & resort just outside the beautiful Carmel area. Another review said "that is you cant relax here, there is something wrong with you", I would have to agree. We came for a wedding for some very dear and close friends of ours..more on that later. I rated a 4 of 5 as there were a couple minor things that I think did not warrant a 5.

The service was amazing...as amazing as you can get in America that is, but not with everyone. We aren't "money", we don't drive a Mercedes, we didn't use valet parking, and we carried our own bags. We didn't show up in evening gowns and suits, or flash a Rolex, and because of this we (I stayed with my wife and two of her girlfriends) felt that we were treated a little bit differently by some staff members, particularly the women who worked the front desk the entire time we were there. She was blatantly rude to us, as that is where I will leave that. But the rest of the staff was very helpful, and respectful.

We have stayed in expensive hotels before, and I would say that I expected a bit more from this room. Don't get me wrong...it was very nice. The fireplace, the view to the mountains in the morning, the bathroom was unforgettable, and the complimentary bottles of wine were a nice touch. But I will go along with other reviewers and say that the beds were not very impressive at all, in fact, really disappointing. We stayed in one of the two double bed rooms they have, and the full size beds (not queens) weren't spectacular at all. The sheets were very soft, and the pillows were decent, but the mattress at the La Quinta we stayed at in San Fran the night before was just as good. The room didn't have a microwave, but they said one could be brought in at no charge...why not just have one in the room?

I called the day before we arrived, and asked about breakfast. Looking at the Menu, it would have cost $50 for breakfast for my wife and I. So I asked if they have a continental breakfast at all, or if there are some local restaurants close by. She said we could order items a-la-carte and when I asked if we could get breakfast for 6-8 bucks a person, she laughed....literally...and told me "no hun, you are looking at about $50 per two people, even with the a-la-carte items". This was the same girl who gave us an attitude at the front desk. I asked her if there is a fridge in the room and she said just the wine fridge but there would be no room for food. I asked her this as we were going to bring some food to put in the fridge, but we just chose to bring non refrigerated items. When we arrived, the fridge was a good size...and nearly empty, basically a blatant lie. Also in the room, the Iron, looked at if it was 15 years old, it had calcium buildup on all the irons pores, and it leaked.

The property was amazing though. You should easily be able to relax here, though I thought that it was missing a much needed hot tub, but the outdoor fireplace partially made up for it. They had a green that was set up for croquet, which was really cool, though we didn't have time to play.

The wedding was amazing...personal wedding details aside, the outdoor wedding was moved indoor because of the rain. One of the restaurants was transformed into the wedding area which was really beautiful, as they got married in front of the fireplace. The reception was in a larger room behind the main lodge and was set up very nice. The service was pretty great, probably better than any wedding that I have been too. They served all eight-10 dishes on the table at once with 4-5 servers, which was first class. The food was really good. We didn't have anything bad. The tenderness of the steak.....wow!

Overall...it was a very nice and relaxing couple days at Bernardus. Would I stay there again...yes...but only if I am making about 100k a year more. I would rather stay in a luxurious all inclusive in the Caribbean for that amount of money. If you stay and don't plan on leaving....between Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, with Drinks, expect an additional $200-$250 a day on that, in addition to your Minimum $500 room. Would I recommend Bernardus to someone that can afford it, absolutely. It was a wonderful place, with great food and drink, amazing views, amazing wines, and the stay was good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Bernadus lodge is a lovely refuge, tucked away in peaceful surroundings. The rooms are very generously equipped (free wine and food when we were there) and very comfortable. The hotel is very tastefully decorated throughout and the staff thoughtful and friendly. The outdoor heated pool was the highlight of the stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed for a week at Bernardus Lodge in late November with my spouse. This is a facility that has mastered the art of delivering superior service. The dining room is among the best that we have experienced. Particular kudos to Rizqi for displaying extensive knowledge of the menu and Paul for his expertise in wine and viticulture. I highly recommend the Lodge for a long weekend or longer - it will exceed expectations.

hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My only complaints are the mattress could have been softer and the unruly kids should have been ejected with their parents on Thanksgiving day after they pulled up all the stakes on the croquet court.

This was not my first stay at this property, so I knew what to expect from the staff, spa, and restaurants and certainly received the highest quality of service. But I did not expect the children to be extremely misbehaved.

We stayed here because of the Thanksgiving buffet and we were not the least bit disappointed. They even had sushi. Don't forget the Kobe beef brisket which just melted in my mouth. We bypassed the many good looking salads because of the dessert table.

We stayed several nights because we wanted at least one full spa day without going anywhere. This was a "vegetation" trip so I did not miss having a TV (nor hearing the neighbors' TV). We visited the spa facilities every day for the warming pool, steam room, and sauna. It's included in your daily resort fee, so don't waste it.

Both restaurants have good food, but Marinus is closed early in the week. Wickets is just fine for all meals. By the way, there is no corkage fee for Bernardus wines, so you might want to save those Wine Grotto wines for an evening out. We only left the property once during our stay and that was to visit Chateau Julien for a special tour with the winemaker, Bill.

Room Tip: We liked our croquet room with a lanai and view of the greens. Join the Leaders Club. It is worth it...
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Was in town for a wedding in Carmel and had a great stay at Bernardus. Very much enjoyed the room, service, complimentary wine and snacks in the room, spa, workout and hot tub area and eating at Marinus. Very peaceful and also close to a few nice tasting rooms.

Room Tip: Expensive but worth the extra $$
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel Valley
Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Valley Ranch
#2 of 23 in Carmel
4.5 of 5 stars 854 reviews

Been to Bernardus Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!