We booked over Thanksgiving to get away from it all and explore the area. Bernardus fit the bill in terms of location and we got a nice deal on the room.
Pros: The room! We had a standard room with a fireplace (it's gas so more for show than heat) and a super comfy bed. It was so glorious to sleep for ages... some of the best sleep I've ever had. The housekeeping was so prompt and efficient - we had turn down service and our room made up quickly every day. The bathtub could also fit about 4 people. Fabulous for unwinding! Also, the service from the concierge was helpful and friendly.
Cons: the food. I had wished for so much more and better... but it disappointed at every turn. Service was slow (I mean, slllloooowwwww), not attentive to details (we sat for 45 mins during the $75pp buffet with no water) and disappointing. And, the food did not make up for it. It was average at best. We ate some dinners in the valley and in Carmel by the Sea and were very pleased.
Basically - I loved everything about the place except the meals. Just go out to eat and it likely would've gotten 5 stars by me!
Tip: avoid the $150 Leaders Club pitch. Internet is provided for free and breakfast credit is not worth it.
Tip #2: free parking was a plus!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Majestic, pastoral and artistic, there's no place like Carmel Valley. And there's no better way to tap into the small-town charms than at Bernardus Lodge & Spa-an indulgent 28-acre escape. Tucked away among rolling vineyards and gardens, Bernardus invites you to savor the intimacy of a boutique resort with an epicurean spirit and a soothing soul. Retreat to the warmth of an old friend's rustic-chic ranch estate, where high-touch service welcomes you home. Here's your chance to unplug, unwind and savor time well spent, whether it's pursuing a new interest or perfecting the art of basking in the warm Carmel Valley sun. Stroll our organic chef's garden and watch a true garden-to-table experience. Grab a gourmet basket and find a picnic-perfect spot with your partner. Share a glass of Pinot. Dabble in Carmel Valley's endless pursuits, all curated by our local staff for the ultimate insider's experience. Then sink into the cozy furnishings of a redesigned guestroom open to the outdoors. Relax, reflect, rejuvenate and breathe deep. Bernardus captures the magic of Carmel-and the memories that matter most. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, T4B, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Bernardus Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bernardus Hotel Carmel Valley
- Bernardus Carmel Lodge Valley
- Bernardus Lodge