“Mr. Jones” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Monterey Bay
“Mr. Jones”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

It had been awhile since we journeyed out to the Store...too long. Just another incredible meal to savor and reflect upon. We shared an appetizer of Pumpkin Squash Ableskivers on a bed of sautéed spinach, trumpet mushrooms, and a few other harmonious ingredients...delicious!
Main courses were wagyu flap steak and lamb shank, both prepared perfectly with complimentary sides...dessert was bread pudding with caramel and vanilla ice cream...
I do not know how or why Michael Jones continues to labor with such focus and passion to produce his Monday nite weekly food extravaganzas, but it is a treasure for our area. Michael and his dedicated cooking and serving crew continue to bedazzle every week at a fraction of the cost similar quality food would cost on the Peninsula...plus, not an ounce of pretense in the air, and great music to listen to while dining....thank you to all of you who work out at The Store.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank hownowmonterey

Paso Robles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mountain Goodness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a wonderful hidden gem in the mountains of Carmel Valley. My husband and I go every chance we get during the Summer. Check any pretentiousness at the door. This place has paper curtain, guitars and a pup or two to greet the guests! I had baby back ribs last Monday paired with a Morgan Pinot Noir. Outstanding! This Monday I believe I will start with the beet salad and follow it with a steak. Once again, I will get the Morgan wine because it was delicious! A 5 star restaurant indeed!

• Visited July 2013
Hickory, North Carolina
“OMG”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Don't want to reveal this hidden gem! This place is like a dream! Really...a country store in the middle of nowhere...with a gourmet Chef and crew that show up on Mondays and put on.."a moveable feast" that is beyond your wildest dreams! With two settings only..terser actions required! David and Pat bang out some serious music on the Congo Drums..and Amazing Guitar! The music alone is worth the drive! The drive is not for the faint of heart...but if you decide to make the track...Michael will not disappoint! The first time I ate there...I didn't even read the menu...when I saw the plate of Bone Marrow go by..that was it..I was in! The most Amazing thing you ever want to put in your mouth! The oysters...the beet salad...the deserts....I can't even begging to describe this crazy place where the dogs are welcome..the food is outta this world..and the music moves you to another's place and time!

Visited June 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
“A Special Evening . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

It's been a while, but I felt compelled to throw in my 2 cents after reading some of the reviews here. My friend and I drove from Santa Cruz to a Monday night dinner last summer. It's certainly not a drive I would undertake every week, but it was most definitely worth it. We were seated promptly, received great service, good food, and wonderful music to accompany it all.

Yes, it's different, and I guess not for all, but some of the complaints remind me of people who would go the 150 year-old Cold Spring Tavern in the mountains above Santa Barbara and complain that the ceilings were too low!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Pexster
Los Gatos, CA
“Great Food in a Rustic Setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Michelin star quality in a rustic setting. What could be better? We had a reservation at 6:30 and were seated right away. Service was good. We live in the Santa Cruz Mountains and so thought the road was incredibly wide and well maintained.

• Visited January 2013