“Positively charming” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Montevideo
“Positively charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This restaurant has the option of eating inside or outside, in an environment full of flowers, really very beautiful, in the middle of Carmel.
The food we ordered arrived quickly and both the owner and the waiter was very friendly, the prices and the food portions are correct and it is clear that the food was very tasty.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

67% Recommend
california
“Charm and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Although we had been looking for a place with a view of the ocean to eat, it was cold and wiindy so we ducked into Nico's. I was quite pleasantly surprised at the absolute charm of this place. This is a very small place and we sat in a little back room, so..no view, but a nice, warm fire was going in the brick fireplace. My generous serving of spinach fettucine had a bit of a nutty taste which I had never encountered and it was very good. My companion enjoyed her ravioli as well.
The wine list was adequate. Our waiter was attentive but not overbearing. It reminded me of a little family restaurant in Tuscany. I did not think the prices were exorbitant for the area.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Folsom, California
“What are you complaining about?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My experience here was nothing like the naysayers writing reviews for this Tuscany-inspired restaurant. My two sons and I had a late lunch here on the recommendation of the restaurant reviewer for the Sacramento Bee newspaper. We had gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce (rich pillows of goodness), seafood pasta (full of seafood with depth of flavor), and ravioli with wild mushrooms and arugula (I used the excellent bread to get every drop). All dishes were excellently flavored and presented. Service was wonderful. Yes, it was on the pricey side, but so is everything in Carmel.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Don't waste your money.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The food is mediocer at best. The waiters can't seem to get anything straight, and the service took forever, then it was wrong.;' We were very disappointed in the food. I felt like they cut too many corners. Outrageosly expensive.

Visited September 2012
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Expensive Dining Choice in Carmel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Many places to eat in carmel, chose this one because it looked intimate. Food was avaerage at best, the total bill was super expensive, especially for the wine, service charge already added, not that anyone asked if we had enjoyed our meal. Quite intimidating and to be honest the most average meal we have had on our vacation including LA and Santa Barbara.

Asked if they served glasses of wine rather that bottles, a rather disinterested waiter pointed to the list if half bottles, no conversation, no suggestions, felt that now that we weren't purchasing a very expensive bottle there was nothing in it for him. Thats how it felt.

My husband ordered a starter and we ordered two mains. Starter arrived and was huge. When the disintersted waiter return to collect the plate ( not check if everything was OK ) I asked if that starter was for one person ( thought it was huge if so ). Informed it was for two and walked off (great sales technique now we we're paying for two starters having ordered one!).

Next came the water, bottled not tap like everywhere else ( great sales technique now were paying for water!)

By now I guess you get the drift.

Food was average, service none exisitant, extras thrown in whether you want them or not.

If your visiting I feel you need to be very insistant on what you want and what you want to pay for, not sure how that will go down and not sure that is the definaition of customer service any way.

My advice try A W Shucks, great food, great service, great bar srevice.

• Visited November 2012