“Great Friendly seaside hotel for the whole family.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Playa Carmel

Save Saved
You added La Playa Carmel to your Saves list
La Playa Carmel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Real at 8th Ave, Carmel, CA 93921 (Formerly La Playa Hotel)   |
Ranked #4 of 21 hotels in Carmel
London, United Kingdom
“Great Friendly seaside hotel for the whole family.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

What a fabulous hotel, set in magnificent gardens, two blocks from the beach and walking distance from all the restaurants and shops. The staff were amazingly helpful and friendly. We were travelling with two small children (aged 8 and 5), and they loved it too - especially the milk and cookies laid out out at reception each evening. The heated pool and giant garden chess board where also highlights for them. The breakfasts were fantastic, great selection, lovely sitting out on the covered patio overlooking the gardens. All in all the hotel made out first trip to Carmel a very memorable one, and we will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with two queen beds, which saw quite tight. Next time we will request a garden p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was an unexpected pleasure. Rooms are comfortable, not fancy but beds were very comfy although some rooms are way to small and they had to change us. There is no AC but Carmel is cool anyway. They serve a lovely breakfast including homemade waffles among the rest of the buffet. At 5 they serve wine and cheese and later wonderful cookies. Staff were very nice and accommodating and offered excellent dining suggestions. The location was great and the grounds are absolutely beautiful.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My sister and I checked into La Playa in the charming town of Carmel. We stayed for two nights and were delighted by the hotel. My daughter had gotten engaged there and recomended it to us.
The staff was friendly and helpful,parking on the street readily available, and breakfast was a delight with fresh Belgian waffles.Our corner room had a view of the ocean down the street,and we slept with open windows to feel the ocean breeze.Please note there is no ac,but it was not a problem with the ocean air.Loved the small town itself,lots of interesting shops and restaurants.The only odd note was the town folds up at 9:30 PM.Would absolutely return to Carmel and this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view so you get the breeze. Beds are heavenly!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
monaghan,ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Here we have a hotel with the owner no doubt having a passion for hotels- service was very good and staff had been recruited from Europe giving the hotel an international flavour- the family rooms were good and adequate- pool are was small- it's name of playa is a little extreme given the walking distances to the beach- the ambiance in the hotel was first class and many's a pleasant conversation with staff and guests- they highlight the quality of breakfast's - but if they truly want to compare to 4/5 star hotels internationally it falls short - also it's prices for a family room is too expensive given the choice out there- it was easy to get a room this month and negotiate a reduction in price with pleasant staff-

• Stayed July 2013
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed in this amazing hotel in an amazing location in the beginning of July. A quick quaint walk into town for some great restaurants and shopping. The town not only reminded me of England but so did the hotel. The lobby is so beautiful and boasts the most beautiful mantle piece. The staff were very nice and very helpful. Our room was amazing. We were on the third floor looking out to the ocean and down to the English style gardens and pool. We opened the (very old but very English) windows and slept with them open to hear the ocean. The bed was extremely comfortable. After a little lunch on our first day we sat outside under heater lamps and had a few glasses of wine. It was so relaxing. The breakfast was wonderful and if you don't want to eat out on the veranda then there is a large charming breakfast room. The front of the hotel is so cute with bikes displayed with basest of flowers! Made for some great pictures! There is also free parking... we parked right in front of the hotel! No need for passes or valet. We were so thrilled with this hotel and I hated to leave it. Don't book anywhere else in Carmel.... You have to experience La Playa Carmel!!!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront for sure!!!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a single night, but dissatisfied with the service, the rooms and the high price. Good news is the free breakfast was very impressive. We didn't even know we were getting free breakfast, but they had a decent selection of pastries, yogurt, fruit and a waffle and omelet station. The breakfast service was the highlight. We didn't get to the bar in the evening, but it looks like a very cool setting and worth a visit.

To the negative, the front door staff is young, inexperienced and weird. When we first Checked in, they offered a bellman to help with baggage (which I appreciated as I have an injured shoulder). The bellman never showed up. We asked for a quiet room and they put us right above the lobby entrance where cars park and people congregate and smoke. The room was average size, but you have to move furniture around to open and shut the windows given the large indoor wood shutters. The hotel was in decent shape, but the windows are single pane so sound comes right through. We asked if it were possible to move rooms and they showed us an alternate room that was much louder (I guess they were being sarcastic) and another that was super, super tiny.

The hotel doesn't have dinner service nor room service, so I went to the desk to ask if they could recommend a takeout place. The Front desk made a good suggestion and they told me they had a free shuttle service and asked if I would be interested. I said sure and he told me the car would be there right away. Like the bellman, the shuttle was elusive as he didn't show up after 10 minutes so I walked to town (not too far, but its a quant town without street lights, jagged sidewalks, etc).

Overall, I paid about $450 for a single night to be treated like I was in a $99/ night motel. Walking through town I was bummed I didn't stay at one of the smaller more casual hotels or a b&b where I have stayed prior, had better service and felt more
welcome.

• Stayed July 2013
Mary C, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear SF Hillbilly,
Thank you for feedback regarding your recent experience at La Playa. We endeavor to provide all of our guests with an exceptional experience, and I am sorry that we disappointed you during your recent stay with us. I am embarrassed by the poor impression that we left with you. I was pleased to know that you did enjoy our Champagne breakfast.
Given another opportunity, I am confident that we can provide the service and memorable experience that you should expect at La Playa. I would be most happy to make arrangements for a future stay. Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention.
Not available
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed two nights at this charming hotel. From the moment we walked in, I fell in love with the place! The staff was warm, friendly and helpful right from the start. Our room was absolutely perfect with a beautiful view of the gardens and beach-we could even hear the ocean from our room. I was a little concerned about the fact that there is no air conditioning-but it was not a problem at all. The windows open wide in the room and there are no bugs-so with the cooler weather, we enjoyed keeping the windows open for fresh air. The grounds are spectacular, it's in a perfect location, excellent breakfast and customer service-you couldn't ask for more. I whole-heatedly would recommend this hotel for anyone I know. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Playa Carmel? Share your experiences!