“A cozy, beachy escape” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Playa Carmel

You added La Playa Carmel to your Saves list
La Playa Carmel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Real at 8th Ave, Carmel, CA 93921 (Formerly La Playa Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Greenwich, Connecticut
“A cozy, beachy escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

“A lovely beachy-charming hotel for a romantic or gal pals getaway. I recently stayed two nights with a dear girlfriend while we attended the Nike Tennis Camp at Pebble Beach. We loved being right at the edge of Carmel-by-the-Sea (one of the most charming villages I’ve seen anywhere – in the world!) and just blocks away from a gorgeous stretch of doggy-friendly beach. The staff couldn’t have been friendlier – always ready to help but never intrusive. And the grounds were just adorable – especially looking out, admiring them over breakfast. A great perk of this hotel – they have a complimentary shuttle service available to take you anywhere in/around town. It was wonderful not having to drive in and out of the hotel, made our stay just that much easier!”

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We love this place and have stayed here many times. However, this time we were looking for 2 rooms for a quick overnight visit. I booked the cheapest rate and completely regret it (my fault, won't do that again). No view, no ocean breeze, the room was really stuffy.
If you are looking to stay here, get a garden room, or ask for a room with a view. It is a beautiful spot.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you are staying in Carmel, I dont think you can find a better place to stay. This recently renovated gem is walking distance to the beach and to downtown. Service is impecable, breakfast is topnotch (and included!).

There is a cozy bar with a couple of TVs to meet at before heading into town. When you are ready, there is a courtesy van to drive you wherever you want.

Rooms were well equipped and comfy.

The grounds were gorgeous. Beautiful flowered gardens, a heated pool, a giant chess board....very charming.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so bringing your bags up the stairs could be a hassle. We had a ground floor r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Visited July 2013. Extraordinarily beautiful property. The foliage was some of the most beautiful l've seen anywhere. Stayed in a mid priced room and was very satisfied with the value. The complementry champagne breakfast was wonderful each day and the setting enhanced the experience. We did encounter a problem with a wedding that was being held there, but the night mananger handled it the best he could and we were satisfied. Everyone was nice and I would return. Carmel is a very low keyed and expensive area. Pets abound ,the terrain is hilly, and the people very California. A different experience for me but very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Check the weather. It was very cool in July. Also bring a camera. Beautiful grounds. Not a party pla...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was delighted when I pulled up to the hotel and saw how pretty the entrance was. Check-in was efficient. However, with no bellman around to help me with my luggage, I lugged my luggage down two flights of steps to my garden room, designated for people like me who travel with their pets. I was a little miffed and thought this was going to be indicative of my stay but far from it. That was the only hiccup. With the pretty landscaping and gorgeous flowers, you can't help but be happy at La Playa.

I was more than pleased with my pet-friendly room, which was spacious, gave us easy access to the street so I could walk my dog and had a nice patio with a view of the lovely garden. And my pooch was well taken care of. The little princess doesn't always like the beds hotels provide but she loved this one that was stylish and comfy. Even the feeder was elegant. Another plus is the hotel's location puts you very close to the beach, where dogs can romp off-leash all of the time. I couldn't enjoy sunset from my room but I went to the main building and watched from the top floor. Gorgeous! While taking sunset photos, the charger to my Smartphone fell out of my purse. I didn't miss it until hours later after I returned from dinner and was ready to go to bed. I went to the front desk to ask if anyone had turned in a charger, not expecting that the front desk would have it. But to my delight, it was there.

I'm not normally crazy about buffet breakfasts but La Playa's was so tasty I went back for seconds. And the dining room has very nice views. Another plus was that the hotel provided complimentary transportation to and from restaurants in the evenings, which came in handy because it is dangerously dark at night in Carmel-by-the-Sea once you're off the main streets.

The best part was the front desk manager, Gennero, who went beyond the call of duty when he personally helped me regain my wobbly bike riding skills! Thank you for your patience! Hopefully the next time we stay there, I won't need you to hold the bike for me.

Room Tip: The garden patio rooms don't have an ocean view but they are much larger than the rooms in the m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Salinas, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We celebrated our 45th Wedding Anniversary at the La Playa Hotel in Carmel this past weekend. Alexis, reservation manager, called to verify our arrival and had a wonderful bottle of Sofia Coppolla Sparkling wine waiting in our room. Staff was most helpful on this sold out weekend. Our room looked at the 17th tee at Pebble Beach Golf Links to the north and to Point Lobos to the south. Unfortunately, we had a problem with our shower, but Alexis managed to find us another room with just about the same views. Complimentary champagne brunch started our day of shopping, and with suggestions from the staff, we had a wonderful dinner at Nico. There are bicycles to use - if you feel adventurous, wine tasting at 4 PM, and cookies and milk at 8 PM. Very romantic spot, grounds are lovely to stroll and the hotel is located 2blocks from the beach.YES, we will go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Watchb4go.com

Adare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We came here for three nights and stayed five! We are a family of two adults and four children, three of whom are teenagers. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and is an oasis of calm (even with four kids). The pool is lovely and peaceful and the rooms are bright, airy and comfortable, most have a view of the pacific. The welcome from the staff sets this hotel apart. After a long flight and three days in the city, it is so nice to receive a warm welcome. The staff are calm and pleasant and nothing seems a problem. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to La Playa Carmel? Share your experiences!