“Wow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Playa Carmel

Save Saved
You added La Playa Carmel to your Saves list
La Playa Carmel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Real at 8th Ave, Carmel, CA 93921 (Formerly La Playa Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Phoenix
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful time in Carmel and loved this hotel. The room was beautiful and the view of the ocean and Pebble Beach are like a postcard. Everything about the place contributed to a wonderful vacation. The concierge, Alexis, did a great job recommending hikes and restaurants. The hotel offers a shuttle to all the restaurants, but everything is so close that we never used it or our car. Brett was also super helpful and very knowledgeable. The covered and heated patio is the perfect place to have your coffee and watch the ocean and the complimentary breakfast is unique and delicious. Love the hotel and the town and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Altadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

As I entered the lobby, no one was in line. That was a relief as I had driven over a hundred miles and thought check-in would be quick with no one else around. However, the reception staff member told me to wait and that someone will be with me shortly. The same staff member tended to some paperwork behind the counter for about 30 seconds then a hotel guest approached asking for help and that same staff member tended to the guest for over 5 minutes. Right afterwards, the staff member asked me for my name. That was odd that the staff member didn't just check me in when I arrived. I didn't care for the robotic way of this receptionist mentioning the hotel amenities and sounded like I was being rushed off because now there were people standing behind me. It took only took about 10 seconds for the receptionist to find my reservation and now I was being rushed. A bell hop walked me to my car and helped me with my luggage. As we were climbing the stairs, I realized there are no elevators in this four level hotel. Arrived to the village room with a queen bed to find it is small. The bathroom room door is in the way of the sink and hides the little window without a screen. Shower in the bath and toilet are small. Closet has a small step that I tripped over a few times. The dresser has only four small drawers, too low to the floor and in the same cabinet as the mini refrigerator that makes a loud buzzing noise so turned that off later that night. The sidewalk right under my window was being power washed and the motor on that machine was way too loud. That continued for over an hour. Later that night around 9pm, hotel guests were slamming their doors so after about an hour and half of that, I got dressed and went down to the front desk to complain. The walls are pretty thin, I could hear people outside my room. Now, it's morning and sounds like there are contractors right outside my window sawing something. I'm not staying for breakfast. Very disappointed and won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Mary C, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Criticzee,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your recent stay at La Playa. I was very sorry to learn of your experience. We endeavor to provide all of our guests with an exceptional experience, and we clearly disappointed you during your stay with us. We have taken extensive noise reduction measures during our recent renovation and will continue to monitor any future areas of concern. Thank you again for bringing these matters to my attention.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

We spent thee lovely nights at La Playa. Our room was comfortable if not huge, with a large airy bathroom. The pool area and gardens are what sold us on the property and we were not disappointed. We took lovely walks around Carmel and had some lovely food. The hotel staff are nice and helpful and the evening driver service is great. We notice some other reviews mention thin walls and noise. we did experience this a little, but it did not detract from the enjoyment of our stay We would definitely return.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Unique, updated and spacious room overlooking amazing gardens and pool. Excellent and friendly staff. Free shuttle to shops, etc. Terrific, full breakfast buffet each morning overlooking the Pacific. Difficult to imagine a better spot in Carmel. 2 block walk to the beach. Great for reunion with several comfortable gathering places within the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique so be sure to discuss details with them. Ours had a great, private patio overl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sho715
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I got married at La Playa in March 2013 and everything was fabulous, from the helpful and warm staff, to the amazing coordinator (Samantha), to the delicious breakfast for us and our guests the next day, the the gorgeous views from the room, to the beautiful plaza where we had our ceremony. Samantha was a huge help in recommending florists ( definitely go with Melody King), photographers ( definitely go with McCallaugh) to officiant (Patt O-Brien). We just returned this weekend for our 3 month anniversary and were yet again delighted with La Playa. We look forward to returning every year to celebrate our anniversary.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a small quiet hotel with a great view and close to "town". We found it! The room and bathroom are not large but totally adequate. The view from our from is beautiful and we can hear the waves crashing on shore which was one of our requirements. The staff are extremely attentive and pleasant and have made "spot-on" restaurant recommendations. If we had a suggestion to the hotel it would be that they reopen their restaurant for those evenings when you just don't want to go out for dinner (not that it's far and they will drive you to any of the restaurants) but rather enjoy the quiet and the sound of the ocean. We can't say enough good things but we have already made a reservation for a few months from now, if that's any indication :-) Note: the hotel has four floors but no elevator.

• Stayed May 2013
Kapolei, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed there as her son was getting married there. The gardens were very nice and the grounds were well manicured. Staff was friendly and helpful.

What I enjoyed about it was, it was a good base for touring the surrounding areas. About an hour from Santa Cruz, and a little more to the south is Big Sur. The aquarium at Monterey is a short distance, as is the famous Cannery Row, made that way by John Steinbeck.

Not cheap, but then what is in Carmel. I felt the 3 days we spent there were worth the money spent, I would not hesitate to stay there again.

PS. The Bloody Mary's are awesome.

Room Tip: No need to pay extra for an ocean view room, step outside and WALK there.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Playa Carmel? Share your experiences!