The La Playa is a beautiful small hotel with a vintage charm. It is located 2 blocks away from Carmel Beach and within walking distance to Ocean Ave with many galleries, boutiques, and restaurants.
The historic hotel with its marquees and lovely grounds gives you the feeling of being at Lake Como or at Cote d’Azur. Coming here I recommend staying in a room facing the inner courtyard. First floor rooms offer small patios facing the garden. From the upper floor rooms you can expect nice views over the grounds, the heated pool, and the ocean. The rooms come with free Internet, colorful wall paints, hand-carved furniture, and tropical flower fabrics. Along the hallways and in the lobby historic maps, photos and paintings tell stories about Carmel’s history and the former tenants of the property.
The hotel is perfect for a romantic and relaxing getaway but also has some flaws that could have some impact of your booking, in particular if you are weighing its price-performance ratio against other accommodations in Carmel.
As already mentioned in other reviews the walls are very thin and you are definitely hearing other hotel guests. If someone is walking above your room it is really loud, same applies to people talking outside. So I highly recommended earplugs. Although the hotel positions itself as a luxurious get-away the bathrooms are outdated. I didn’t have a problem with the size but the interior. Unfortunately it has a charm like a Motel 6 I wouldn’t expect for a $170 - 300 (depending on the season) per night. One last thing I would deliberate whether staying here or not is the missing breakfast in the basic rate. Nowadays this is a standard and included at other higher priced accommodations in Carmel.
Nevertheless if you get a super value deal you should go for it.
+ Vintage charm,
+ beautiful grounds, furniture
+ perfect for a romantic getaway,
- thin walls,
- small bathrooms with cheap interior,
- no breakfast
- without a special deal the hotel is pricey
- Also Known As:
- La Playa Hotel
- Hotel La Playa
- La Playa Carmel Ca
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Playa Carmel is a 75-room historic luxury boutique hotel, newly restored to preserve its turn-of-the-century charm while updating it to modern-day standards. Located two blocks from the beach and village shops, art galleries and restaurants, the hotel is situated in the heart of Carmel and anchors its most prestigious residential neighborhood. The grounds encompass meticulously tended gardens, intimate patios, secluded courtyards and a tranquil terrace swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, TravelClick, Orbitz, Tingo, Venere, Priceline, Hotels.com, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your La Playa Carmel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.