“Didn't Want to Leave!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Didn't Want to Leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I have never felt as welcome at any hotel as I felt when we pulled into Carmel Valley Ranch. The staff seemed genuinely happy to see us and made us feel special during our three day stay. We stayed in a hilltop ranch suite which was huge and had a great view. Shortly after arrival, a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and bath salts were delivered to our room to celebrate our anniversary. Dinner at the Lodge was delicious and the service was excellent. Everything tasted very fresh and it was my favorite meal during my 6 day vacation (which included dinner at Gary Danko's in San Francisco).
My husband and I did the Bee Experience and loved it. We learned so much and it was one of the highlights of our vacation. Also, the grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. The only complaint I have is that, one afternoon, we returned to our suite at 4pm and it was still being cleaned. Other than that, everything was perfect. We felt so relaxed and happy at Carmel Valley Ranch and would definitely return again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MelanieCooke, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you so much for your review. It is truly wonderful to hear how welcomed you felt as this is a key part of our service here. We ARE truly glad you came to stay and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
kihei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Ok, I used to live in the area. So, it's hard to impress a local as we think we KNOW everything.

Impressed.

Good things: Food! I enjoyed room service, I enjoyed breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I'm not one to shy away from a critical opinion. I have nothing bad to say about the food. My friends would turns their head to the side like a puppy right now. I live in Hawaii, and I liked the fish, in Carmel Valley, CA. Nice!

More good things: Location is in the Sun in the summertime. The area is known to have a foggy and chilly summer. But in Carmel Valley, the sun shines more often than not. It's near great hiking at Garland for a quick walk in the AM.

An extra good thing: Walk the grounds. OMG the flowers are amazing and the bees are friendly.

The biggest surprise of them all: being treated like royalty. From the moment we made the reservation until checkout every person was attentive and found ways to accommodate our requests. The most amazing situation was being Greeted Upon Arrival by the Guest Services Manager. She was waiting for us at the Valet. Just standing there, waiting for us?! So nice.

Okay, the bad stuff... there is always something. Totally first world problems. Nothing big.

The room was a bit dark. So if you like cozy ask for the forest suites. They have a fireplace on a timer so it was fabulous for early morning paper reading in bed. Since I knew I wouldn't be in the room much I didn't ask to switch.

Parking is tight and crowded.
Not enough outlets for chargers close by.
The Eco mode wall switches made for some madness with figuring out what lights come on when and how. You'll get used to it. Listen carefully upon checkin.

That's it! Everyone is nice and it's a great place to stay. btw- room service didn't take as long as quoted.

Room Tip: Ask if it's in the Oaks or has Bright Light
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and welcome back to the area! Your review is very special to us as it is obvious you live in a wonderful island environment yourself with glorious fresh fish and food to choose from. We are thrilled that you enjoyed all we had to offer and feel proud to have passed your standards - it says much! Thank you very much for taking the time to share and we hope to welcome you back sometime when you return to the mainland. Aloha. Melanie Cooke, Manager
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We can not say enough great things about the Carmel Valley Ranch. It was truly amazing, the scenery was beautiful and the staff was so kind and attentive. Our suite was perfect and very spacious, kids loved the fluffy white robes and slippers. Highlight of the trip was the beekeeping adventure, do it, John was great with everyone in our group, including a 4 year old. (No one was stung and he puts all your fears to rest, buy the honey you won't regret it) This is an experience my whole family will never forget. The adult pool and hot tub are stunning, smores the best (go with their gourmet marshmallows yummy), the apples in the lobby, wild deer and turkey a plenty, and the beautiful lavender. Golf cart rides everywhere, my kids loved when the driver took "the Shortcut". Close to Carmel and Monterey, best thing is that there is often a marine layer of clouds over Carmel and Monterey, but in the valley the sun was shining the whole time! Treat yourself!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review Holly - you touched on several special moments over the course of your visit and I appreciate you taking the time to share that. Our staff at The Ranch truly want to offer service that is caring and meaningful and it looks like we did just that during your visit! We hope to welcome you back soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
Morgan Hill, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

A short drive but a million miles away. This is our most favorite place on earth. My husband and I come here to relax and rediscover the simple pleasures of God's glorious natural landscapes. The property is surrounded with beautiful trees, golf greens, and lush green rolling hills. We always take advantage of the salt water pools and hot tub. The spa services are luxurious and catered to meet the needs of anyone seeking refuge. This is a yearly destination for us and we countdown the days and minutes the moment we drive away.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review Veronica and for being one of our repeat guests year over year! Being so close, please think of us as your own 'backyard." It is wonderful to hear how much you appreciate and love our gorgeous setting and we agree and thank you for sharing that. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Great family holiday destination. Rooms were fantastic and the kids camp was such a hit with the kids that they really didn't want to leave. Golf course was good. Local attractions such as Pebble beach (dinner / drinks next to the 18th green...wow) and Point Lobos, are a must see. All in all a wonderful, all be it expensive, holiday, which I would highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. It is wonderful to hear your kids loved our camps so much they did not want to leave - a true testimony! Thank you again and we hope to welcome you and your family back to the resort soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stumbled across Carmel Valley Ranch on a last minute deal and it turned out to be a real find. Although it's not on the coast this place was perfect for Big Sur and Pebble Beach - and not only that it's a wonderful hotel. It wasn't really a room that we stayed in, rather a small house which was obviously fabulous. Even by American standards the room was enormous. If you're the active type then there's tonnes to do - tennis, golf, yoga, etc... If you're not then get eating because this place has a wicked restaurant which also does a mean cocktail! Totally recommended, a proper 5 star country club retreat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow - what a special and meaningful review - and thank you! We also believe this is God's country and are always pleased when our guests notice this. It is truly our pleasure to share this with you and we hope to welcome you back. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

First of all, I really enjoyed my stay here - my family can't wait to go back. That in and of itself speaks volumes. The resort is really peaceful and makes you feel like you are a million miles away from everything. There are a lot of activities for families with children, but it's also a nice relaxing getaway for couples as well. I felt the food was all very good for a resort, although you are paying resort prices. The pool area for families was a little strange in that it was separate from the rest of the resort. While it easy to get to because the shuttles were always quick to do pick ups and drop offs, it still felt a little cast-off. Also the entire pool area had more of a country club feeling than a high-end resort. For example, nobody was around to serve beverages, etc by the pool. Everything about it was self-service. While the pool wasn't too crowded even on a weekend in the summer, most of the other patrons seemed to be locals who have bought a membership to use the pool and tennis facilities. Nothing in particular was wrong with that, my only point is that the pool area felt a little less like a high-end resort.

One thing to note about the rooms is that many (most?) of the suites have a living room area and a bedroom area. The layout is actually great - bathroom between the two and more spacious than I expected. However, most of those living rooms have skylights in the living room. Kind of a strange choice considering that they must know that many people may choose to have somebody sleep in that living room (the couch is a pull-out bed).

About those missteps. When I realized that the skylights were a problem, I called the front desk and asked about rooms without skylights. My issue is that the person I was speaking to seemed completely uninformed about the most basic questions about the room types (i.e. - referred to a room without a separate living room as a "one bedroom suite"). Then the front desk told me that a two bedroom suite was available and then minutes later somebody else told me that it had never been an option. Then, the front desk also failed to tell housekeeping about an issue that I had wanted fixed. I had to follow up on it myself a couple of times. I will say, that the manager Kevin really went above and beyond to make amends for the errors of the staff, which is why I still had a very enjoyable stay. I just wish that there weren't so many fumbles. I expect a more polished, informed staff from a high-end resort. But as I started out by saying, even these little issues did not stop me from having a great time and we will be back!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is near the main lodge but still feels remote (doesn't look upon any othe...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. In addition to the many wonderful things you spoke of, it is your mention of the 'missteps' that I also greatly appreciate. This is how we can continually improve and please know that your comments have been shared with our team members to ensure we are all responsible for being knowledgeable about the resort, and for providing accurate and helpful information. Thank you again and we look forward to your return visit. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!