“Our Favorite place on earth” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   One Old Ranch Road, Carmel, CA 93923   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Morgan Hill, California
“Our Favorite place on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

A short drive but a million miles away. This is our most favorite place on earth. My husband and I come here to relax and rediscover the simple pleasures of God's glorious natural landscapes. The property is surrounded with beautiful trees, golf greens, and lush green rolling hills. We always take advantage of the salt water pools and hot tub. The spa services are luxurious and catered to meet the needs of anyone seeking refuge. This is a yearly destination for us and we countdown the days and minutes the moment we drive away.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MelanieCooke, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for your review Veronica and for being one of our repeat guests year over year! Being so close, please think of us as your own 'backyard." It is wonderful to hear how much you appreciate and love our gorgeous setting and we agree and thank you for sharing that. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Great family holiday destination. Rooms were fantastic and the kids camp was such a hit with the kids that they really didn't want to leave. Golf course was good. Local attractions such as Pebble beach (dinner / drinks next to the 18th green...wow) and Point Lobos, are a must see. All in all a wonderful, all be it expensive, holiday, which I would highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. It is wonderful to hear your kids loved our camps so much they did not want to leave - a true testimony! Thank you again and we hope to welcome you and your family back to the resort soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stumbled across Carmel Valley Ranch on a last minute deal and it turned out to be a real find. Although it's not on the coast this place was perfect for Big Sur and Pebble Beach - and not only that it's a wonderful hotel. It wasn't really a room that we stayed in, rather a small house which was obviously fabulous. Even by American standards the room was enormous. If you're the active type then there's tonnes to do - tennis, golf, yoga, etc... If you're not then get eating because this place has a wicked restaurant which also does a mean cocktail! Totally recommended, a proper 5 star country club retreat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow - what a special and meaningful review - and thank you! We also believe this is God's country and are always pleased when our guests notice this. It is truly our pleasure to share this with you and we hope to welcome you back. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

First of all, I really enjoyed my stay here - my family can't wait to go back. That in and of itself speaks volumes. The resort is really peaceful and makes you feel like you are a million miles away from everything. There are a lot of activities for families with children, but it's also a nice relaxing getaway for couples as well. I felt the food was all very good for a resort, although you are paying resort prices. The pool area for families was a little strange in that it was separate from the rest of the resort. While it easy to get to because the shuttles were always quick to do pick ups and drop offs, it still felt a little cast-off. Also the entire pool area had more of a country club feeling than a high-end resort. For example, nobody was around to serve beverages, etc by the pool. Everything about it was self-service. While the pool wasn't too crowded even on a weekend in the summer, most of the other patrons seemed to be locals who have bought a membership to use the pool and tennis facilities. Nothing in particular was wrong with that, my only point is that the pool area felt a little less like a high-end resort.

One thing to note about the rooms is that many (most?) of the suites have a living room area and a bedroom area. The layout is actually great - bathroom between the two and more spacious than I expected. However, most of those living rooms have skylights in the living room. Kind of a strange choice considering that they must know that many people may choose to have somebody sleep in that living room (the couch is a pull-out bed).

About those missteps. When I realized that the skylights were a problem, I called the front desk and asked about rooms without skylights. My issue is that the person I was speaking to seemed completely uninformed about the most basic questions about the room types (i.e. - referred to a room without a separate living room as a "one bedroom suite"). Then the front desk told me that a two bedroom suite was available and then minutes later somebody else told me that it had never been an option. Then, the front desk also failed to tell housekeeping about an issue that I had wanted fixed. I had to follow up on it myself a couple of times. I will say, that the manager Kevin really went above and beyond to make amends for the errors of the staff, which is why I still had a very enjoyable stay. I just wish that there weren't so many fumbles. I expect a more polished, informed staff from a high-end resort. But as I started out by saying, even these little issues did not stop me from having a great time and we will be back!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is near the main lodge but still feels remote (doesn't look upon any othe...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. In addition to the many wonderful things you spoke of, it is your mention of the 'missteps' that I also greatly appreciate. This is how we can continually improve and please know that your comments have been shared with our team members to ensure we are all responsible for being knowledgeable about the resort, and for providing accurate and helpful information. Thank you again and we look forward to your return visit. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
Cutchogue, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband I stayed at this resort for our 25th anniversary. The staff was very friendly and greeted us with congratulations when we checked in. They even left us chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine in our room. The bed was by far the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. The room has a view of the hills and we could sit outside on the balcony. Overall, I highly rate this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a great breakfast in the area, try Jeffrey's in a small strip mall not far from the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for choosing The Ranch for this special occasion in your lives. We hope to welcome you back for many anniversaries to come. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I love this resort. It is one of the most peaceful places I have been to. I would actually have never chosen to visit this location, had it not been for a wedding, but I am glad that I did. I hope to return sometime soon. The resort is absolutely beautiful. Perhaps the only thing better than the views are the smells. The resort is covered with fragrant flowers and herbs and you instantly relax just by driving onto the property. Lavender is one of their staples. All of the bath products are grown and made at the resort. Definitely take a visit to the hotel shop to bring home some fragrant oils and candles.

The resort is very laid back. It is quiet. Not the place to go if you are looking for a ton of party activity, but that being said, they do have activities if you wish to participate.

There are scheduled hikes, cooking tours, nature walks, yoga classes, etc. They also have events around the fire pit in the evenings and twilight rubber ducky races for the kids at the entrance.

This is a resort that has something for everyone. Golf, spa and kids activities.

The room was a rustic but luxurious "cabin" style. The finishes were very much high end, but you feel comfy and cozy as if you were staying in a friends country home. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with a huge wrap around balcony. We had coffee each morning out overlooking the valley and watched as the sun burned off the haze. Each room has a fireplace which is on a timer, so we feel asleep each night to the nature glow of the flames.

The room also included a living room and kitchenette. The bathrooms were huge and luxurious.

My only compliant about this resort is that it is so spread out. If you want to go from your room to the main building it is a bit of a hike (not so good for those having trouble walking). The resort does have golf carts that will pick you up, however you may need to wait for them, depending on the time of day.

If you wish to go to the pool or the kids area, it is a LONG walk. We drove or took the golf cart. I would guess that it is about .5miles away. Going down the hill is not so bad, but coming back up is tough especially with kids.

From a food perspective we only had room service and breakfast (besides the wedding food). Everything was great. My son's mac and cheese was perhaps the best we have had anywhere. It is the chef's special homemade recipe and it shows. Fresh ingredients kept us coming back for more.

The resort is self contained. There is not much around other than the resort. There are some farms, but the majorities of activities in this area (e.g.: Monterrey) are about 20 minutes away.

I highly recommend this resort for a 3-4 night stay for anyone looking to relax and get back to nature in luxury style.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the valley. You will have a balcony in the trees and it is a magical view...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your detailed review and for touching on so many of the things we offer and hope to achieve for our guests when they visit The Ranch. Magical, peaceful and relaxing - you said it best and we thank you and hope to welcome you back. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The Ranch was the most perfect place to stay! From the moment we arrived, everyone was so friendly and helpful. The surroundings are beautiful and our room was perfect! The view of the hills was spectacular! The front desk was so helpful in guiding us to Big Sur, Carmel and other surrounding areas and offered many hints of places to go, things to do, and where to eat. We had on small issue with noise in that construction was being done right next to us...but when we called the desk to ask for the hours of the construction, we were quickly moved across the ranch to a quiet spot. My only regret was that we did not build in enough time into our stay to take advantage of all that the Ranch has to offer. We had planned to sight-see in the surrounding areas. Next time I want to come and just hang out and the Ranch and relax. I did get to walk through the lavender fields and look at the gardens. It was heavenly! This place is my absolute all time most favorite place I have ever stayed! I hope to come back some day!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Karen for taking the time to post your review. I am happy we were able to make your stay so memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back again. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!