“Beautiful resort - less than stellar service” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   One Old Ranch Road, Carmel, CA 93923   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Carmel
Santa Margarita, California
“Beautiful resort - less than stellar service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

A friend and I shared a Valley Suite for an overnight stay - and found it very comfortable, with a spectacular view. We arrived earlier than the check-in time, but the young lady (Alexis) in the reception area assured us that our suite was being cleaned, and took a cell phone number. The call came within 30 minutes. The grounds are beautifully serene, the walkways are well-kept, and as the upper levels of the resort are on a hillside, offer a good work out for those inclined to do that! A couple of broken items we discovered (side mirror in bathroom, and Keurig coffee maker) were reported. When advised of the coffee pot "failure" early morning, a pot of coffee was delivered to the suite within a few minutes. However, the "cool" reception in the gift shop, and the non-existent service at the pool need to be addressed by Resort Management. I'm thinking the staff needs a course in client service - except for those in the Bar/Dining Room areas. The two young ladies in the gift shop remained seated - initially on the phone and computer - but neither stood up, greeted customers, offered assistance, and when one person asked a question, a finger was pointed in the direction of the item requested - very poor, and unacceptable in a resort advertised as "luxury". The fact there was no one at poolside to even ask for a cover for the deck chairs or a towel was surprising. My friend said there had been very attentive service in previous stays. Too bad, as other comments of disappointment were overheard at the pool the same morning. In summary then - beautiful location, comfortable accommodations, but in some areas the service needs improvement..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
CarmelValleyRanch, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Kaye - thank you for your post and for your honest feedback. I appreciate that you noticed the things that we did right, and am pleased that of those mentioned, service was extended with sincerity, genuine care and anticipation of your needs. Even more importantly, it shows that so many of our employees truly care, listen, and take previous guest feedback seriously as an opportunity to grow and continually provide heartfelt service to our guests. Having said that, you have mentioned a few areas that did not provide that, and I sincerely apologize for those experiences. Rest assured, your comments are not taken lightly, and we will ensure that our team takes the time to review the experience they provided you, and why / how that could have happened in a place where service is the core of what we do. I apologize again, and should your travels bring you to The Ranch in the future, please reach out to me personally. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager, 831-626-2548

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Stockton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We selected the resort because it had a tennis program and good location to visit other attractions in the Carmel area. We found the staff to be excellent, very friendly, and accommodating. This was true of the staff at check-in, in the restaurant, fitness facility, and on the grounds when were out walking. They were always friendly and asking if we needed help. The fitness facility is very nice and Rick the tennis pro, with whom we took several clinics is an excellent instructor. We played in a round robin doubles event and the regular members of the club were very friendly and welcoming to guests.
The rooms were very nice but if you are over 6' tall the regular beds in our room were a little short. The food is excellent in the restaurant as was the service but like all things in Carmel a little pricey.
We will definitely stay at this resort again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I booked a one night stay with unlimited golf for our husbands 60th birthdays. We all our not have been happier with the accomodations, the food, the service, and the golf course. We had originally booked junior suites, but upon arrival we were upgraded to a ranch suite. The ranch suite overlooks the 11th fairway. Its spacious and luxurious with no detail overlooked. There was a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in the spacious living area wet bar. I want to thank "Lisa" who made our reservations. She could not have been more helpful. The four of us golfed twice. The course is beautiful and meticulously maintained. The greens were very fast. We all wished we could have stayed another day. Everywhere we went, we were waited on by friendly staff. I just can't rave enough about this place. If I could give it six stars, I would.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Carmel, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Went to purchase in the shop for a friend staying here. The girls there were preoccupied with themselves, conversation wise computer wise. When I asked for help it was like I was bothering them. Rude. Could have bought, but didn't.
Went to eat later outside and it took me going in 2 x to get service. Food great, service very poor. That's why the 3 stars.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your response. I must apologize for the delay in this posted response - I actually prepared same day and thought it had submitted, but apparently not. I did not wish you to think that I did not receive your comments and take them to heart as this was not the case. It appears that you were visiting friends staying with us at the resort. Being local, it is very important that you can feel The Ranch is a friendly place - where you can bring friends for lunch or spa, or to shop in our gift shop. And service is the very core of what we do, so I sincerely apologize for your experience. As you can see, great service is mentioned often in our reviews, but on occasion, it simply does not get extended in an intuitive and caring way, and this is not okay. I do apologize, once again, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back 'with a smile' as you so duly and correctly noted. Thank you for taking the time to let us know what was not right with your experience. Should you have the opportunity to come again, please let me know personally as I would welcome the chance to show you a better experience. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, 831-626-2548
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My trip started off poorly. I went to ceck in and was told that my room "would be ready in a few minutes" We went to wait by the pool. nearly an hour later I went back to ask about our room and was told that check-in was at 4PM (which is correct) and that was in 90 minutes time. I said I am fine with check-in being 4PM but then don't tell me a few minutes when it isn't. The trouble is the front desk staff are young and obviosuly not trained well or at all by management. No point having a 5 star resort of you don't train your people. In the hour we were at the pool, no one came by to serve us. When we went to get our bags from the car to go to our rooms I walked right by the bellhop and he never offered to help my pregnant wife or myself (I could have asked for help but I wasn't about to ask at this stage but their job is to use their golf carts to get people to their rooms). It is his job to ask. I went to get my car that same night and the valet staff had parked a car right behind mind so I couldn't get out for 10 minutes (seems they don't handle functions well). My first day getting lunch at the restaurant had horrible service. I shouldn't have to sit there with an empty water glass for 10 minutes and have to ask to get it refilled. I will admit service y last day there was much better. The fireplace in the room didn't work. Just little things like that mean you don't care care of the details so you can't be 5 stars. Room service sent the wrong stuff twice, one it was cold, once it had meat when we ordered vegetarian and once there wasn't the right cutlery. Again, poor training and systems.

On the positive, the bathrooms were great, room (suite) was large and really nice. The housekeeping did a great job and the location is beautiful. All the resort needs to do is fire the management, get people in who know how to train staff, install systems and procdures and then train the staff and this place could be 5 stars.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CarmelValleyRanch, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Sir - thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for the multiple opportunities we had to extend thoughtful service to both you and your wife, to which we clearly did not. As a manager here, I can assure you that I, and my fellow colleagues, do truly care that our teams are well trained, feel supported in their roles, and are empowered to do everything they can to deliver attentive service. More important than a policy book, or rules and regulations, we stress the power of intuitive service, and this is the main area that I feel we failed to provide when reading about your experience. As you can see from our many positive reviews, good service is a thread that is mentioned often by our guests. But equally important is consistency in that service, and it was clearly a bad day in that respect. I do sincerely apologize and hope that you would allow us the opportunity to show you a better, and truer experience at The Ranch. When your little one arrives, perhaps a family vacation may present itself, or some time away with just you and your wife. Should that opportunity arise, please contact me personally. Thank you again, and best wishes on your new arrival. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager, 831-238-7351
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We are on an 8 week tour of the west coast with our 6mth old baby and this has been the best hotel so far - that said we did 3 weeks in an RV so any hotel is good right now!

We did a mid week deal, checked in early and hung around the next day to make the most of the visit:)

The suite was large with a great view, indeed, we got an upgrade as we were disappointed with the view (or lack of) with the first suite. The suite comprised a lounge, big bathroom, bedroom and balcony. I loved the fire in the bedroom, we used it even though it was warm as it was so relaxing. We got cookies and milk for our son, along with johnson toiletries, a bib and a great bath.

My husband played tennis with members, I did the yoga class (there were only 6 in the class) and we chilled by the (children friendly) pool, hot tubs and splash zone. I would have liked to have done more complimentary classes/activities but most occur in the morning and clash.

The climate was great, not too hot and the food was good and reasonably priced.

We walked round some of the grounds, it's massive and in some ways the size is a downside as you have to drive to the pool and gym. There is a complimentary shuttle service but both my husband and I waited 20 mins for that, so not ideal.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The suites are beautiful and the golf course exceptional. My wife and I ended of our Anniversary trip to the west coast with 4 nights here. Beautiful updated suites with gas fireplace in the bedroom was a perfect way to relax and enjoy the quiet and peaceful surroundings. Golf course was very scenic with large elevation changes throughout. Proximity and ease of traveling to Carmel and Monterey for day trips and evenings out was much better than expected. Did not take advantage of the numerous activities offered, beyond golf, but amenities looked terrific.

Room Tip: Move up to at least the "Ranch Suites". but be prepared for a hike if you pick a Hill-top...