“Amazing Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Carmel
Sacramento
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I booked a one night stay with unlimited golf for our husbands 60th birthdays. We all our not have been happier with the accomodations, the food, the service, and the golf course. We had originally booked junior suites, but upon arrival we were upgraded to a ranch suite. The ranch suite overlooks the 11th fairway. Its spacious and luxurious with no detail overlooked. There was a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in the spacious living area wet bar. I want to thank "Lisa" who made our reservations. She could not have been more helpful. The four of us golfed twice. The course is beautiful and meticulously maintained. The greens were very fast. We all wished we could have stayed another day. Everywhere we went, we were waited on by friendly staff. I just can't rave enough about this place. If I could give it six stars, I would.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Carmel, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Went to purchase in the shop for a friend staying here. The girls there were preoccupied with themselves, conversation wise computer wise. When I asked for help it was like I was bothering them. Rude. Could have bought, but didn't.
Went to eat later outside and it took me going in 2 x to get service. Food great, service very poor. That's why the 3 stars.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
CarmelValleyRanch, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your response. I must apologize for the delay in this posted response - I actually prepared same day and thought it had submitted, but apparently not. I did not wish you to think that I did not receive your comments and take them to heart as this was not the case. It appears that you were visiting friends staying with us at the resort. Being local, it is very important that you can feel The Ranch is a friendly place - where you can bring friends for lunch or spa, or to shop in our gift shop. And service is the very core of what we do, so I sincerely apologize for your experience. As you can see, great service is mentioned often in our reviews, but on occasion, it simply does not get extended in an intuitive and caring way, and this is not okay. I do apologize, once again, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back 'with a smile' as you so duly and correctly noted. Thank you for taking the time to let us know what was not right with your experience. Should you have the opportunity to come again, please let me know personally as I would welcome the chance to show you a better experience. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, 831-626-2548
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My trip started off poorly. I went to ceck in and was told that my room "would be ready in a few minutes" We went to wait by the pool. nearly an hour later I went back to ask about our room and was told that check-in was at 4PM (which is correct) and that was in 90 minutes time. I said I am fine with check-in being 4PM but then don't tell me a few minutes when it isn't. The trouble is the front desk staff are young and obviosuly not trained well or at all by management. No point having a 5 star resort of you don't train your people. In the hour we were at the pool, no one came by to serve us. When we went to get our bags from the car to go to our rooms I walked right by the bellhop and he never offered to help my pregnant wife or myself (I could have asked for help but I wasn't about to ask at this stage but their job is to use their golf carts to get people to their rooms). It is his job to ask. I went to get my car that same night and the valet staff had parked a car right behind mind so I couldn't get out for 10 minutes (seems they don't handle functions well). My first day getting lunch at the restaurant had horrible service. I shouldn't have to sit there with an empty water glass for 10 minutes and have to ask to get it refilled. I will admit service y last day there was much better. The fireplace in the room didn't work. Just little things like that mean you don't care care of the details so you can't be 5 stars. Room service sent the wrong stuff twice, one it was cold, once it had meat when we ordered vegetarian and once there wasn't the right cutlery. Again, poor training and systems.

On the positive, the bathrooms were great, room (suite) was large and really nice. The housekeeping did a great job and the location is beautiful. All the resort needs to do is fire the management, get people in who know how to train staff, install systems and procdures and then train the staff and this place could be 5 stars.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CarmelValleyRanch, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Sir - thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for the multiple opportunities we had to extend thoughtful service to both you and your wife, to which we clearly did not. As a manager here, I can assure you that I, and my fellow colleagues, do truly care that our teams are well trained, feel supported in their roles, and are empowered to do everything they can to deliver attentive service. More important than a policy book, or rules and regulations, we stress the power of intuitive service, and this is the main area that I feel we failed to provide when reading about your experience. As you can see from our many positive reviews, good service is a thread that is mentioned often by our guests. But equally important is consistency in that service, and it was clearly a bad day in that respect. I do sincerely apologize and hope that you would allow us the opportunity to show you a better, and truer experience at The Ranch. When your little one arrives, perhaps a family vacation may present itself, or some time away with just you and your wife. Should that opportunity arise, please contact me personally. Thank you again, and best wishes on your new arrival. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager, 831-238-7351
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We are on an 8 week tour of the west coast with our 6mth old baby and this has been the best hotel so far - that said we did 3 weeks in an RV so any hotel is good right now!

We did a mid week deal, checked in early and hung around the next day to make the most of the visit:)

The suite was large with a great view, indeed, we got an upgrade as we were disappointed with the view (or lack of) with the first suite. The suite comprised a lounge, big bathroom, bedroom and balcony. I loved the fire in the bedroom, we used it even though it was warm as it was so relaxing. We got cookies and milk for our son, along with johnson toiletries, a bib and a great bath.

My husband played tennis with members, I did the yoga class (there were only 6 in the class) and we chilled by the (children friendly) pool, hot tubs and splash zone. I would have liked to have done more complimentary classes/activities but most occur in the morning and clash.

The climate was great, not too hot and the food was good and reasonably priced.

We walked round some of the grounds, it's massive and in some ways the size is a downside as you have to drive to the pool and gym. There is a complimentary shuttle service but both my husband and I waited 20 mins for that, so not ideal.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The suites are beautiful and the golf course exceptional. My wife and I ended of our Anniversary trip to the west coast with 4 nights here. Beautiful updated suites with gas fireplace in the bedroom was a perfect way to relax and enjoy the quiet and peaceful surroundings. Golf course was very scenic with large elevation changes throughout. Proximity and ease of traveling to Carmel and Monterey for day trips and evenings out was much better than expected. Did not take advantage of the numerous activities offered, beyond golf, but amenities looked terrific.

Room Tip: Move up to at least the "Ranch Suites". but be prepared for a hike if you pick a Hill-top...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I saw Carmel Valley Ranch as I was reading a food blog and promptly fell in love with the place. A short time later I had booked a trip for me and my best friend. We spent 4 nights in early October, when the weather was perfect- apparently, early fall is one of the best times of the year for gorgeous weather in the valley.

Everything was just as I hoped it would be. The room was beautiful- clean, comfortable, simple, elegant design. The bathroom was dreamy with comfy robes, a soaking tub, shower stall and separate room for the toilet. There was PLENTY of closet space for two girls, fireplace, fridge, deck with comfy chairs, free snacks, wonderful artisan bathroom products, etc. I could not have asked for better. Our room was near the lodge, looking out over the pool. At first, I thought it would be too noisy, but it was very peaceful. One night we heard some folks out by the fire pit, but it was not for long, and not TOO noisy. I actually liked being closer to the lodge, it was just a short walk to the restaurant/bar/pool/hot tub, and that was really nice. I did read some reviews that stated the rooms were noisy from the folks next door, but we did not experience that at all. There was even a dog in the room next to us, and we heard him scamper down the hall once the entire time. We did not hear our neighbors talking, did not hear TV's, nothing. It was very quiet.

We took advantage of a Tuesday special spa day- where they serve you a cupcake after your massage, and I believe the individual shower rooms were bigger than my entire bathroom at home. The spa was immaculate, the services wonderful. The Tuesday special was an excellent deal and included lunch and gratuity.

We also enjoyed the bee experience, suiting up in bee keeper outfits and getting an up close look at the hives and learning a LOT about bees from their keeper. Excellent for kids and adults. We enjoyed hiking the trails around the property, seeing many deer and wild turkeys, and taking turns on the tree swings.

The food in the main restaurant was wonderful, as was all of the service we received.

The front desk staff and concierge staff gave us great ideas for things to do in Carmel by the Sea and Carmel Valley Village, and were very helpful.

In short, we had a perfect trip, I expect to return some day. Thanks to everyone at CVR for making our trip so special!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Salvador, BA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The cosy atmosphere of downtown Carmel and the simple sophistication of the Carmel Valley Ranch left us the feeling that the best of life doesn"t relay on luxury. The intimacy with nature is so good, we feel peace and happiness.
The bedrooms are special with everything you need and some more. Breakfast is really tasty with a lovely view from the pool, flowers and trees. Restaurant is great, the staff is friendly
This is a place we could come every year,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!