“All you could ask for” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Chicago, Illinois
“All you could ask for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I recently stayed here for a business trip and the hotel is a great combination of five star luxury resort qualities in a more relaxed setting with a sense of the amenities you would find at home. Complementary snacks greeted me in a very well-appointed room. Views were outstanding. The coffee was replaced twice a day which was a great touch. People were extremely friendly. The golf course provides magnificent views and is relatively forgiving for the experienced golfers (unlike myself). When you combine the setting, amenities, quality, and people it's hard to beat. While I didn't have my family with me on this trip, there are a lot of family-friendly activities at the ranch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed a couple of nights and could easily have done longer.
The resort has a very relaxed vibe, lots to do but not with the air of 'competitive relaxation and must do all the things on offer' that some of these types of places have.
Travelling with 3 children aged 16, 14, and 12 and they all enjoyed it.
Tastefully done rooms, fires lit around the property at night.
We had a hilltop Garland suite, which was a mistake I made in booking as I thought it had 2 bathrooms which it didn't. I think what you get when you pay extra for the premium view is actually more space on the deck rather than in the room which is where we needed it. Our room was forest so also very shaded on the deck in the trees. I think if I went again I would go for a larger room rather than better view as the extra cost.
We had dinner in the main restaurant which was probably the nicest dinner we had in the tour of California.
There were a couple of niggles at this sort of price point. Despite knowing we were 5 in the room I had to call after every housekeeping to explain that we would need more than one small bottle of shower gel for 5 of us to have a shower, had a great treatment in the spa but the spa changing room had lumps of hair in one shower and towels all over the floor in the other and wasn't being tidied so not great getting changed after.
Overall tho the staff were really nice and we found the stay very relaxing.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a premium view, but the deck was mostly shared by trees, so you could ask what typ...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have reviewed Carmel Valley Ranch before and extolled its virtues-the great rooms and staff,free wifi etc etc- you can look this up.

I returned again this year and once again experienced sheer delight. The fabulous villa accomodation,the beautiful grounds, the excellent activities and facilities plus the delightful staff with the ever present Thomas ensuring everything goes well. The activities seem to have increased this year and are the better for it. Went to a great water exercise class every few days- the instructress was brilliant.I also like the way there is a separate adult pool so that one has a choice as to how you wish to live there. My wife and daughter loved the Spa.

Lunch by the Pool was great, super service and a great choice.

It is an awfully long journey from the UK to Carmel Valley but the Ranch makes the whole thing worthwhile.My only criticism is that it is so far away from the UK so I cannot stay more often.

If you want an idea of what heaven might be like- Carmel Valley Ranch is a good place to find out!

Cotswolds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I plus our teenage boys stayed recently at the CVR, we had a ranch suite with great views over the valley, really luxurious bathroom and bedrooms. Loved the ambiance, nothing was too much trouble...I took an aqua aerobic class that was great fun and attended a Pickle Party - learning all about making American Pickles! Food was good, service excellent. We loved it and would like to have stayed longer.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Absolutely loved Carmel Valley Ranch...very close to the town of Carmel - but we didn't leave the property once! There was so much to entertain our multi-generational family group. This is a special place that is luxurious enough for adults to really feel like they are on vacation while maintaining a truly child-friendly atmosphere. The property is absolutely spectacular, rolling hills with a vineyard, lavender fields, a flower & vegetable garden, hiking trails and a golf course. The suites are centered around the main Lodge, where the adult pool and main restaurant are located. Our large suites, which featured kitchenettes, balconies and beautiful views of the valley, were a good walk from The Lodge, which is something to note about this property: there's a fair distance between things, and the terrain is not always flat - though there are shuttles available to ferry your group from place to place. Nonetheless we generally walked to and from the Lodge (occasionally taking advantage of the golf carts and shuttle vans) where the restaurant is really good and though more formal/upscale is happy to welcome children. The family pool is almost a mile away (we always took the shuttle van - it's a long and hilly walk) but it's worth the trip, with a fantastic pool, hot tub, lawn area, playground and fabulous area for the younger guests: a one-foot-deep toddler pool and water feature to run through. There is a more casual restaurant here and the food is great! The spa area is lovely too and adjacent to the adults pool is a gorgeous jacuzzi. There are definitely children afoot so if I were looking for a child-free, couples-only vacation, I'm not sure I'd choose Carmel Valley Ranch, but for another family vacation, I'd look no further and I can't wait to return to this property again. The weather was gorgeous and so was the scenery! Our group had 6 young children who each had a wonderful time, floating the rubber ducks that are available in the lobby down a water feature at the Lodge, making s'mores at night and having fun at the family pool area.

san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

It is difficult to describe the Carmel valley ranch. It is a large rolling hills ranch with small groups of buildings and the lodge. It is one of the nicest resort properties around. You can escape city life and experience camping without the mess. Rooms are large we stayed in the 1100' sq forest view rooms. It was relaxing and beautiful. It would be easy to stay for a long time. The property is self contained with one main restaurant, the lodge. The food is great, the corn bisque was thick and creamy with simple but elegant flavors. The vegetable risotto was very nice. Overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for one night in July as part of our Pacific Coast Highway drive. We stayed in a number of top hotels on our 3 week holiday and this was the best of them all.

Upon arrival we dropped our car off with valet who were very friendly and advised that they'll bring our luggage up to our room. We checked-in, and again the staff were very friendly. We had room number 6 which was a short walk to the pool and reception area of the hotel. I believe there's a group of rooms slightly further away which have views of the golf course. We didn't have a view of anything but we preferred the convenience of being close to the restaurant and pool as we were only their for one night.

The 'room' was brilliant, it was a deluxe-king. You walk into a huge living room, with a seating area, fireplace, tv and a desk area. A walk down the hallway and the bathroom is on the right, complete with a huge sink-in bathtub, a seperate walk-in shower and a seperate closed toilet.

The final room down the hallway is the bedroom and it was amazing! A huge, comy bed (best bed I've ever slept on), along with another fireplace and tv. The patio doors open all around the room to reveal a deck. We had no view, just the other surrounding rooms.

A large empty fridge is provided, stocked with free water. There was also a little tray of complimentry snacks. The rooms are best described as mini villas, each one is seperate and clustered around the 500-acre property.

As we were only there for one night we wanted to make the most of the resort so we walked down to the pool area and sat around the firepit and made s'mores, there are 3 pits and each one is set-up with everything you need to make the perfect s'more. We then unwound by sitting in the hot-tub. The hot-tub has an infinity pool type affect with the water seeping over the edge. You get a great view of the property while you sit in the tub. There are two big hot tubs and one average sized pool. Towels are provided pool side.

The next morning we made our way down to the gym - little tip, don't walk as it's a long trek back up the hill to the rooms! I believe you can request to be driven to the gym area in a golf buggy, we didn't realise this until afterwards. This part of the property is the 'activities area'. The gym was huge! It was actually bigger (and better) than my gym back home. There are loads of machines and everything else you would need for a great work-out. After the gym we went to the basketball court and had a little play around. The tennis courts are also located here and looked busy. There are number of exercise classes that take place each morning, everything from Yoga to Spinning and TRX. There are actually 2 gyms, the smaller one is located pool side.

Breakfast was good and was served in the main area of the hotel, either near the pool area or inside. The food was nice enough, nothing amazing. Service could have been better, I think there was only one waitress covering all the tables so service was a little slow.

Unfortunatley we had to check-out of the hotel after just one night to continue our drive. We would have loved to stay here longer and make use of everything else the hotel had to offer. The hotel is perfect for couples and families, it has the resort vibe and everything you need is around the hotel. I don' think there's any entertainment in the evening, so after a couple of days of eating in the hotel restaurant you would probably need to travel to Carmel Valley or Carmel-by-the-Sea for something different. I'll definitley come back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!