“Beautiful resort... can't wait to come back” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Castro Valley, California
“Beautiful resort... can't wait to come back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights during our mini-moon after our wedding and couldn't imagine a better place to unwind and relax.

The place feels sorta like a super fancy summer camp. The main lodge houses the restaurant, a beautiful adult only pool, outdoor fire pits, the spa, gift shop, library, and a mini gym. There's also a separate area down the road called the River Ranch where there's a family pool, bocce courts, and a slew of other activities. Lots of nice walkways and small hikes. We really wanted to do the bee experiences while we were there but then found out they don't offer it daily. That was the only boo part about our stay.

Our suite was amazing and HUGE. Modern yet very cozy. The fireplace in the bedroom was a nice touch. Comfy robes. All the amenities you can think of including free water and snacks! Apples, trail mix, chips! It doesn't cost very much, but its a really nice touch. Our first evening there, we were also delivered a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries on the house! Loved it.

The Lodge Restaurant was amazing! We had 2 breakfasts and a dinner there all which were phenomenal. During dinner, my New York was just a tad overcooked and of course they offered to change it but I didn't want them to. For that they brought me some dessert wine on the house. Another nice touch. Instead of dessert, we enjoyed their complimentary smores at the outdoor firepits with our night caps. Met a few great couples as well.

The most impressive thing about Carmel Valley Ranch- the people. Every single staff we met was so nice and pleasant. There was always a hello or a smile. Everyone checked in on us but it wasn't overbearing. The perfect amount of interaction you're looking for on vacation.

I can't wait to come back. This time I'll make sure the Bee experience will be available!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We've been going to the Carmel Valley Ranch every year, courtesy of my wife's employer. We aren't golfers but the course looks challenging as well as being gorgeous...very well kept, million dollar views and the weather is always lovely. We go as part of a managers weekend event. My wife is a manager...I get to be the 'trophy husband'. As a couple, the magic of Carmel Valley Ranch for us is in the quiet walks under the trees, along the myriad trails...the pristine pool sporting impeccable service and 'the room'. The ROOM! Oh my. There are twin fireplaces (I love having a fireplace in the bedroom), a posh sitting room for relaxing or having friends over, the MOST comfortable bed ever and a hillside deck with really excellent furniture and again, views out across the valley...Hey, isn't that Clint Eastwood's house up there? Well, maybe. Be that as it may, this is a place where folks that know about relaxing go to relax. Hey hon, some guy parked his Bentley in my space! Good thing he didn't scratch my Taurus wagon! Hmmm. Wonder if he wants to trade? Well, no matter. If I don't get to drive a car like that at least I can stay in a room as great as his. Works for me. Anyway, go and spend a few days at the Ranch...tell 'em Clint sent you. lol

Room Tip: The higher up on the hillside your room is, the better the view...and since the 'rooms' are...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We arrived in the middle of Memorial Weekend and thought that the large amount of children would be a problem. How wrong we were! The children were able to enjoy the amenities in a separate sports area. We were able to sunbathe around a lovely pool next to the main building. There were lovely woodburning fires in the hotel as well as a fire in the bedroom of the cabin. This is just the place to go to get away from it all and recharge batteries. The restaurant was very good and was patronised by lots of locals. The grounds are vast and there are lots of activities to enjoyl

Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have stayed here twice on business, I say 'business' because I find myself having to create reasons to go back to Carmel Valley in order to persuade my employer to justify a return. I tell them its a bunch of cabins in the forest, and they believe me.
This place is just great, simple as that. From the fire pits and tree swings (health and safety dictates that there are no swings over fire pits thankfully), to the superb restaurant, incredible locally sourced wine cellar and first rate sporting facilities.
If I wasn't already married I would honeymoon here. In fact it's good enough to inspire me to commit bigamy.

Room Tip: The cabins higher up the hill get better views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Fabulous hiking from room, and we appreciated the delightful, accommodating staff. Our dinner was a rating of 4 out of 5. We really loved the outdoor fire pits with complimentary some mores. We will return!

• Stayed June 2013
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We vacationed in San Francisco from Louisiana. After a few days, we had done everything on our checklist but weren't ready to go to Yosemite. We found this place on trip advisor and decided that we would go for two nights. It was amazing! Relaxing, beautiful, remote, great service! Our 3 children, ages 12,10 and 6 thought that it was great also. We swam, ate in the wonderful restaurant, did the hike and enjoyed our balcony view of the gorgeous property. I could go on forever about how beautiful everything was. I hope to go back one day with just my husband.

• Stayed June 2013
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed at Carmel Valley Ranch during our coastal California drive for two nights. The property itself is gorgeous with plenty of ammenities such as golf, hiking, bee experience, tennis courts, swimming pool and spa. It is quite remote but as the towns in the Carmel area (Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove) are in relatively close proximity it is quite easy to enjoy the sites. The suites have been recently updated and we were generously upgraded to a Ranch Suite which was gorgeous; with a large living room, huge bathroom and nicely appointed bedroom. Snacks are included (chips, nuts, bottled water) which are definitely a nice touch. The s'mores by the fire pit is yet another example of the little things that really add up to the experience. Spa service was very relaxing and quality products are used. Restaurant was very good for both dinner and breakfast. Beds were extremely comfortable as well. Definitely a great place for families with the amenities, but also as a quiet oasis near the hustle and bustle of San Francisco. Note that the rooms can be quite far from the lodge but we enjoyed the peace and quiet. If we return to the area with our kids, we will definitely stay again at this property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!