“Fantastic Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
London
“Fantastic Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and wish we could have stayed for longer. Really lovely and spacious rooms, big balconies with great views, friendly and helpful staff who provided an excellent service, great pool options (a separate pool for kids and an adults only pool) and good sport facilities ( yoga, tennis, golf...). Really nice personal touches as well (snacks in the room etc). It was the absolute highlight of our 2 week holiday in California - we would rate it higher than the (much more expensive) hotels we stayed in in southern california.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I have stayed a number of times at this hotel, I would highly recommend it. The staff is polite, the location is remote but close enough to the town and shops. We have always enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Memphis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The hotel had some great points, and some not so great points. The resort has recently been refurbished, and the rooms are awesome. All are suites, with a separate living room and bedroom. We had 2 fireplaces, a marble bathroom, and nice deck.

So what could be wrong.....room location. The resort is spread out all over the place. we ended up with a room at the top of a mountain. I should have asked to move, but didn't. Anyway, there were a ton of stairs down the mountain to even get to the parking lot. and there was no railing at all. I think the front desk should have asked if we would have any trouble with that many stairs. I recently had knee surgery and the stairs were very hard for me, especially with no railing. In fact, when my husband was at his meetings, I just stayed in the room. Even if I got down to the car, I wasn't sure how I would get back up to the room.

Service was for the most part very good, but then they would just slip up. Like no hand towels one day. Some wrong information.

Spa hot stone massage was not worth it. Probably the worst massage I've had in a while.

Food was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lobby.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CarmelValleyRanch, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. I regret that the location of your suite caused you to not be able to enjoy the resort to its fullest. Your suite was located in the bluff section of our property, often favored for its quiet hillside location, and where many of the suites provide stunning and sweeping views overlooking Carmel Valley. As you mentioned, we also have lovely treetop suites located near the Lodge, as well as valley and forest locations a short walk away. Our shuttle service was created to make moving about the property seamless and with ease. Each of the areas provides something special for the guest that prefers them, and to be placed in one not suited to you can understandably be disappointing. We missed an opportunity to provide you our normally intuitive service and as a result, you were not able to truly enjoy the resort and all it has to offer. I apologize for that, and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future. Please feel free to reach out to me directly as I would welcome the chance to chat with you further about your stay and be a part of creating a happier one in the future. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Have been here on both a girls weekend and another with my family, and both times were amazing! Great food, wonderful spa and adult pool area. The kids pool area was also a hit, as were the swings and s'mores. Mid century/modern transitional decor, quiet, great staff and cart rides anywhere, any time, good toiletries, comfortable beds and furnishings (even the sofa bed was comfortable!) made for a very relaxing stay. The walks around the property are beautiful as well. And the excersize classes offered are top notch.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a return trip for us. Our first was a romantic couples retreat and the Ranch blew us away. This time we came for spring break with our two kids - 8 and 10.

The Ranch is a dream getaway for families: a separate kids pool and recreation area, a casual store with smoothies, shaved ice and plenty of fruit, basketball courts, grassy lawn for sports, swings on oak trees throughout the resort and nightly s'mores. What more could you ask for!? Well, there are also beautiful hikes and native wildlife (deer, buzzards, hawks, wild turkeys). We missed the bees and the apiary this time but I've heard it's wonderful for kids. Don't forget to say hi to Roxy, the resident pooch.

The staff was warm and accommodating. Meals were delicious. Housekeeping could have been a bit more organized but honestly how upset can you get in a place this laid back?

Come and enjoy the native beauty of California showcased in a luxurious yet casual resort. Feel your blood pressure drop and understand why I love my state!

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

This is our third stay at CVR and it gets better with each stay. We've gone with and without our kids and either way we are made to feel so welcome.such a perfect place to chill out! I always buy extra bath products at the spa shop because they have the most amazing signature scent. Our Corgi loves her special bed and treats she gets when she visits too. The Staff is super accommodating without making you feel like you are bugging them. We love this place!

• Stayed April 2013
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My co-workers and I stayed here for one night, and all enjoyed ourselves very much! The accommodations are very spacious with the sleeping and lounging/TV area separated by a very large bathroom. Some of us had beautiful views of the valley and golf course, while others of us (myself included) only had a view of some trees. My recommendation, as another reviewer suggested, is to request a room with a valley view. We had a team dinner at the main restaurant -- the service was excellent and the food was great. Half of us had spa treatments and although the treatments all had good reviews, the spa itself was rather small and I would've expected a larger lounge area for the prices paid. The other half of our group golfed, and no complaints there! The rooms are far from the main building, so some walking is required - nothing too far, but if you go when the weather is cooler (it was about 40's for us) it does make you want to stay put. The grounds are beautiful, but you will need a car to get to the main Carmel town as it is not within walking distance. You are somewhat "trapped" on the resort property, but if you are there to do nothing but relax, then this is a perfect place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!