“Fantastic family vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Carmel
San Clemente
“Fantastic family vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My family and I spent three days here as the culmination of our great Californian road trip up the coast from Orange County. Although we used the Ranch as our home base to explore Monterey and Pebble Beach, in retrospect, I wish we had just stayed put and done more things on the hotel property. The resort itself is huge, with rolling golf courses, lavender fields, and vineyards. My daughter (OK...me too!) was thrilled to see families of deer and wild turkeys along the road every day. S'mores around the campfire in the evening were also a welcome treat. We stayed in a beautiful valley view suite that had a lovely bacony that seemed to overlook the whole property. We were eligible for an upgrade to a "view" suite but none were available. However, I can't imagine that the view from an upgraded room could have been any better than the one we had. The staff was very courteous and helpful and constantly shuttled us around the property in either a van or golf cart. The highlight of our stay, however, was doing the Bee Keeping Experience. This was super-informative, so I got to feel like a good parent by having my daughter learn about biology while we were on vacation. Also, it was pure fun! There's nothing better than tasting lavender honey right from the comb. This unique experience will definitely be one for the memory books. As mentioned before, there was a lot of other stuff that we just didn't have time to do...guess we'll have to come back!

, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
From our courteous staff to the deer in the lavender fields to the bee experience your review embodies everything that we have been working so hard to achieve at Carmel Valley Ranch. Thanks to you and your family for choosing The Ranch and we hope to see you again soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We recently spent two nights at the Carmel Valley Ranch. We booked based on a recommendation from a friend and from viewing the website. This was one of the few times that a hotel in my experience that the actual property was better than pictured on the website. The suite we were given was at the top of the mountain overlooking the entire property. The views were incredible! The suite was beautifully furnished and was exceptionally clean. The in room fireplace was a great addition n the cooler evenings. We took advantage of the free classes at the gym as well as the shuttle rides. The pool area was quiet and relaxing. We loved the firepits and s'mores. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My only regret was that we didn't have more time to spend here. I hope that we will return again soon!

, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you for your fantastic review! I am glad you mentioned that you booked because of the website. We worked really hard on the site and we are currently working on making it even better. We hope you return again soon.
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is a beautiful property. Really nice kids pool and adults pool. Nice restaurant where we ate several dinners and breakfasts. Super friendly drivers who took us to and from the pools. Great waitresses who accomodated our children. Excellent housekeeping who did the nightly turn down.

Downsides:
1. We paid for an upgraded "wrap around" balcony suite - but our suite had no view, except for suites next to us, so the wrap around balcony was really was never used.

2. We booked a package that included breakfast and resort credit. Upon check out, it didn't show up correctly on the bill. The front desk said they'd correct it and send me a corrected statement - it's been 3 weeks and haven't gotten anything.

3. Also, my mom definitely left her designer glasses in the room. We called back in the same day but they said they didn't find it.

Room Tip: wrap around balcony suites not worth it
, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you for your candid review. We truly regret the negative parts of your experience but we also appreciate the positive feedback in light of these incidents. I hope we can connect and resolve this issue to your satisfaction. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We spent a great weekend here - surrounded by towering oaks, fluttering oak moths, the gorgeous native California landscape. The restaurants are good. Free activities including yoga and a nice gym. We'd like to make this a regular weekend escape which is saying something - as there are quite a few to choose from in the bay area.

We came here on an anniversary trip but would definitely consider bringing the kids. Very kid friendly with a separate kids pool, nightly s'mores, and more. BUT the kids are separate enough that this can still be an escape for adults only.

Room Tip: The units are laid out on a spacious "campus." That means can be a trek to the lobby/rest...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and thank you for the room tips. The tips really help our future guests understand the property. Do come back and bring your children. We like to think that Carmel Valley Ranch is a playground for all ages! Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management
Redwood City, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I spent two nights in March at CVR for work. The property is expansive with a golf course, two pools, a small gym near the guest suites and a much larger gym facility in another part of the resort (you can get a complimentary drive there if you choose not to make the 10-15 min walk). There is also a spa (though I did not get a chance to do any treatments). Restaurant had great food and relaxing atmosphere with indoor and outdoor seating. The views of the valley are gorgeous and you can truly relax. Took part in the smores by the firepit - what a great way to end the day! Lots of complimentary exercise classes though, unfortunately, I did not have time to take since I was there for work. We did, however, do a tour of the organic garden - learned a lot and had the best time with the gardener!

This is an all-suite property. Very spacious rooms. Bed was very comfortable. Enjoyed the complimentary snacks and water bottles. My balcony had a view of the valley and I had a chance to relax and enjoy the view with a nice glass of wine.

There are also kids programs, but mostly during the warmer months. I would definitely consider bringing my family back. I hear it's almost always sunny in the Carmel Valley and quite a few degrees warmer than Carmel which is by the ocean.

It was a short drive (about 10 min) to downtown Carmel.

Loved CVR and would love to come back when I have more time to actually enjoy the property and not be in meetings!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thanks for your review. We appreciate you mentioning the fact that our property is an all-suite property. We feel the extra space really sets us apart (no pun intended). We hope you return with your family soon! Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management
No. Cali
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I must say that while driving through Carmel down the winding roads, my first thought was, "what is everyone talking about?" I didn't think the surrounding area was very attractive, compared to our gorgeous Sierra Nevada Mountains. But then, we arrived at the Ranch, and my opinion changed. It is beautiful, well-manicured and maintained. But then, at the top of the hill, all of a sudden amongst of all the oaks, there were tens of thousands of moths, swirling about in broad daylight. An employee said it was some 5-yr occurrence, okay, mother nature at work. We checked-in to our room. Very nice, spacious room. We were in a room on the end, but in overlooked the parking lot---uggh. I guess it ended being fine, because we didn't enjoy the decks anyway because the moths were so obstructive. Back to the room, love the bottled water, snacks, and especially the Keurig coffee maker. 2 fireplaces, 2 flatscreen TV's, and the most comfortable hotel bed my husband and I have ever slept on (we have a Temperpedic at home). Unfortunately, the tile floor in the bathroom is very cold (we are used to heated floors at home). We did not have a robe or slippers in our room (our friends told us about this on the last day---too late). I think more detail needs to be paid to cleaning, ie: the remote, telephone and windowsill---I took a bath and it had 2 dead moths and quite a bit of dust on it when a pulled back the shutters. I loved the shampoo and other toiletries. My husband golfed and said he had a great time with his friends. The clubhouse has wonderful locker rooms that are nicely appointed. Nice pool area and hiking trails. The fire-pit area gets really crowded at night, couldn't find a seat, never got to do the S'mores thing, ended up inside at the bar. The food we had was delicious at all times. Who doesn't love Roxy the resident Bulldog? I would love to come back again with my kids, I would just make sure to have a different room and hopefully the moths would be gone!

Room Tip: Do not stay in Suites 120, 121, 122, or 123 unless you want to look at the parking lot and be close...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your review and most of all thank you for highlighting what you love about our property as well as what we need to improve on. We apologize about the moths. They come every few years for a couple months. It seems to be the tradeoff for having beautiful oak trees, every once in a while we get oak moths! Also, your comments regarding the room have been passed on to housekeeping. Thanks for the compliments on the food. It’s one of our specialties! Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Coming from Scotland we are used to beautiful lush green scenery but I can only add that when we arrived at Carmel valley Ranch we realised that we were in a special place, it was truly beautiful we were surrounded by such wonderful wild life right outside our window wonderful it was so peaceful that we just stayed there and truly relaxed we had dinner on three occasions in the ranch itself the food was exquisite service fast we had steak on two of the evenings which was cooked to perfection really an elegant place our waiter was called Antonio and he was extremely friendly we actually were the last to leave.I would go back in a heartbeat as it was peace personified loved it !!!Marion Davren

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you for your review! To have our hills compared to Scotland is truly a great compliment. We are also thrilled you enjoyed your dining experience. I will share your feedback with Antonio personally. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!