“A gem in Carmel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Carmel's Town House Lodge

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Carmel's Town House Lodge to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Carmel's Town House Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5th And San Carlos, P.O. Box 3574, Carmel, CA 93921-3574   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #13 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Westmount, Canada
“A gem in Carmel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This Best Western is where I always stay for my annual one week visit to Carmel. It is great value and the rooms are clean and comfortable. You couldn't ask for a better location. It is two blocks from Ocean, the main drag, and about a block from Hog's Breath Inn.This recent visit I had the chance to get to know the Manager, JD Desai, a little better and he is the perfect host. I travel alone and wanted to attend a Beatles tribute (evening performance) at the Sunset Center which is only 4 blocks away from this Best Western but I was hesitant to walk the poorly lit street alone after the show. JD offered to pick me up at 10pm after the show and I was able to attend after all. Now that is great service!!! There are two reasons I did not give a five star rating: 1. the breakfast and breakfast room. But the breakfast room is being expanded and should be provide a more comfortable breakfast experience. The breakfast fare could use improvement. 2. The heater in my room was very noisy so I opted for extra blankets instead. Other that, I recommend this little gem without hesitation and I plan to return on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is an old style motel that has been remodeled. We stayed here for four nights on a vacation and to attend a wedding at the nearby Pebble Beach Club. The beds are very comfortable, the room was clean. Free breakfast in a crowed lobby was a nice amenity. (It consisted of the usual make-your-own hot waffles, cereal, pastries, fruit, coffee etc.) We enjoyed walking the streets of Carmel, not just in the tourist areas but some of the residential areas as well (with their million dollar bungalows). We spent one day hiking in the very nearby Point Lobos State Park (definitely worth a visit if you are fit or not). We would definitely stay here again if we return to Carmel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

In fairness, I would probably give this hotel another 1/2 point but the system allows only 3 or 4, so 3 it is. This was Day 4 on our road trip from Portland OR to Los Angeles CA, and our reason for being there was just a one night stop after another day of driving. The room was small but suited our needs, as we needed separate sleeping space for a teen traveling with us...room had separate area with a door for privacy with a pullout sofa bed and we had a king. Older property, very small, breakfast n clouded in the (tiny!) lobby space which meet basic needs. Property had an outdoor pool but it was not heated...we were told it would be heated after April 1st, which made no sense, as you need it heated when it isn't warm enough naturally. No hot tub or fitness center. Location was very convenient, and we could walk just a couple of blocks to everywhere. Town of Carmel is lovely (and a bit touristy) and beach was also very nice and peaceful. Parking lot on site for hotel is very small and tight, so don't plan on going in and out with the car...just park once and walk. Our room was noisy only due to the age of this property I believe...I could hear outdoor noise from surrounding area and water running from another room. Staff was very courteous and pleasant and check in and out was efficient.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on an end or top floor to avoid adjacent noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

When searching for hotels in Carmel I was shocked by the prices. We settled for the Best Western at 130$ (double queen) and were happy with our choice. I guess you can spend way more money without receiving more value for money. The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was ok sized, very clean and had all amenities you would expect. The bathroom had a very nice setup and felt cozy. The night was very quiet. The hotel is only the blocks from the main street with all the shops, galleries and restaurants. To the beach it was about 6 blocks. Breakfast was the only downer because of the very small room right at the reception desk. Only 6 regular chairs at tables. A sofa and another chair without tables. That's it. We had to sit on the sofa and juggle with our cups, plates and cutlery. No fun. However, we would stay again and either go early or late for breakfast to grab a table.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Salinas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is by far the best value in downtown Carmel. The location is ideal to explore the sights and shops of Carmel Village. The rooms are modern with very nice appointments, they are clean, and many rooms even have a view of Monterey Bay. My only negative comment would be their very small eating area for breakfast so do as most of the guests do and take the food back to your room. However, when I add it all up, this place is a four plus stars for value, location, friendly staff, and nice rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I struggled with a rating on this place but decided to give it a very good purely based on location and value for money. This is not the Taj Mahal but for 1 or 2 nights this is a decent place to stay right in the heart of Carmel. The beds are large and for our family of 4 we all had a good nights sleep. The only real downside is the breakfast, there are only three tables to sit at and as a result everyone gets in each others way standing around eating. The food is also fairly average so again don't expect Hilton quality accommodation or food here but for the money this is a good option.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bath UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed one night, parking was easy and as mentioned you don't need the car to explore Carmel as it is all right outside the door (although we did drive to the beach as its down quite a hill and I was travelling with my sister-in-law who walks with a stick). The rooms were well furnished and very clean, we left early to do the 17 mile drive so can't comment on breakfast.
That did lead to my one concern, we left at 7am and the front desk is only manned from 8am-10pm so we had to leave our keys in our rooms without checking out. I hate doing that, I always worry someone's going to somehow sneak in, wreck the room and then I get the blame! Also if your driving a lot, we did 1,300 miles in a week, what happens if you arrive late? I'm sure there is a way round it but I kind of expect a hotel reception to be manned 24 hours a day.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Carmel's Town House Lodge? Share your experiences!