“Wonderful Stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Carmel's Town House Lodge

You added BEST WESTERN Carmel's Town House Lodge to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Carmel's Town House Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5th And San Carlos, P.O. Box 3574, Carmel, CA 93921-3574   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Sacramento, California
“Wonderful Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay here very much! The hotel is very centrally located to everything and is an easy walk to Ocean Avenue and the beach. Once you pull in and park, you don't need to move your car. They have a walking map at the front desk to help you locate some good restaurants and shops. Many are right around the corner from the hotel. I like that they do not allow dogs on this property because while I like dogs, I don't believe they belong in hotel rooms and this provides added piece of mind that the room is clean. The area is very quiet. You do get a bit of street noise from cars passing by outside, but I didn't find it distracting. A previous reviewer mentioned that the heater makes a low humming noise that is constant and continues even when the heater is off. We did have that noise in our room. I wasn't bothered by it, but my wife found it enough to keep her from falling asleep easily. We both travel with ear plugs and with those, she was fine. I found the noise easy to tune out. The room in general was small, but nicely decorated, clean, and comfortable. We felt very much at home there. The TV channel offerings were nice; particularly with HBO available. I would suggest that they program the TVs to remove the channels that aren't available. You can keep hitting the channel button on the remote from 1 up to 999 and you might go through 30 in a row that are just a black screen that says not available. I would take those out. The staff was nice and breakfast was basic & good. The dining area is right next to the reception desk and there are only a few tables so they can fill up fast. We only took a look at the pool, which was small, but with the ocean and beach nearby, the hotel doesn't need to have a big luxurious pool. It would be fun for kids, I'm sure. I love that the parking was free and there were no issues with parking spaces. The free in-room wifi was great and worked just as good as our own at home. All in all, I'm glad we found this property and we look forward to coming back again soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Danville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I am quite familiar with most of the motel properties in Carmel, being a former resident of the Monterey Peninsula and frequent visitor. Nowadays, typically, we stay in my old hometown, Pacific Grove, as we find it more kid friendly. This visit, we opted for a change of scenery and decided on Carmel.

Prior to booking, checked my old haunts and fell ill to sticker shock. Queen/Queen standard rooms at $249-$299, midweek…..are you kidding me!! Thought it was back to Pacific Grove, when I stumbled upon Tripadvisor reviews of the Lodge, all with varying levels of positive experience. I booked the mini-suite for one night at more than $100 less than the others.

On the surface, the property is really not up to the artsy-fartsy standard of most Carmel motels; pretty plain, really. Check in was pleasant, with manager JD Desai very accommodating and helpful. The mini-suite was updated to a nice standard, with a king bed and ensuite in room one, and two twins and ensuite in room two. Both rooms had basic cable TV and mini-refrigerators. It was very comfortable, indeed, and a more than fair value for money. The property is better than centrally located, and all the galleries, shops, restaurants, beach, etc., are within walking distance.

The motel serves a light continental breakfast, that is best taken in your room after you make your selections, as the dining area is tiny. Parking is a bit dicey, as the lot is cramped, and hard to navigate when full. I parked on the street in front of the motel overnight, and felt I was in a much better spot to not suffer door dings.

If you have to have posh, tarted up surroundings and hand carved, gold leafed signage, then this is probably not your place. If however, you want a nice comfortable room in downtown Carmel, and don’t want to spend a fortune, then I highly recommend you take a look at the Town House Lodge.

Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just finished a great relaxing weekend staying here. This hotel could not have been anymore pleasing. Perfect location!!! Nice service, clean and nicely remodeled. We for sure will be returning here and for the $$ u can not beat it!

Room Tip: Room 330 was roomy and nice and quiet. Awesome parking so u can walk everywhere without driving.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Danville, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I didn't want a fabulous luxury accommodation when in Carmel with my kids -- it just gets too darn expensive. The Best Western Town House Lodge is one of those places I've walked past for years when visiting Carmel and always wondered "why haven't I tried that place?" It's in a great location, has PARKING -- huge in Carmel. It's on the north side of Ocean and walkable to everything; steps from the Hog's Breath Inn, if that helps you place it.

We had a two-queen second floor room. The room was clean, updated and had a full bathroom and closet. Pool if you're crazy (who swims in Carmel?), continental breakfast if you want it. Was it kind of noisy? Sure, it's an old building. Was it the greatest place I've ever stayed in Carmel? Not by a long shot, but it was exactly what we needed. If you're looking for a great location, no-hassle parking that's clean and inexpensive, this is your place. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Second floor eliminates some street noise. FYI, garbage collection is on Thursday morning.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Carmel for two nights to see the Big Sur and Monterey Peninsula. Absolutely loved Carmel town for its quaintness and unique beach town feel.

Picked the Best Western for its reasonable price and location. We were pleased with the cleanliness of the room and everything was well appointed. However, our main gripe was that the room was really quite noisy...

The heater appeared to make a constant (quite loud) humming noise even though it was turned off. We tried different settings to this, but with no avail. Additionally the ceiling was thin and we heard upstairs walking/moving around a lot, both which did disturb us sleeping.

We did enjoy our stay in Carmel and I have never had a bad experience in a Best Western, however I think if we were to stay again I would perhaps request an upstairs room for less noise than we had.

• Stayed March 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The room it self was nice and clean. We got 2 queensize beds. The hotel have a pool that we didnt use and free parking outside. The only minor thing was the breakfast that to swedish measures wasnt to big.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

After reading the other reviews, I'm not convinced I stayed in the same place. My experience was completely different. Our room (#209) had one thing going for it: the view. Drop Dead Gorgeous View and the windows opened. Unfortunately, we had to keep them opened all night long as the smell in the room was overwhelming. I had difficulty sleeping since I realized the smell was permeated throughout the blankets. I would have liked to have taken the blanket off, but the room was chilly since we had to keep the windows opened. All due to the smell. The breakfast, while included in the price, was fine if you like cereal and a tiny pastry. It is not a place to sit down; best bet is to take breakfast back to your room or the deck (which has limited seating). Parking it tight, so it's best to leave your car and walk wherever you want to go. I'll look elsewhere for a place to sleep next time I'm in Carmel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which faces west.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Carmel's Town House Lodge? Share your experiences!