“Carmel Mission Inn - Clean, Comfortable, Cool....” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Breakfast/Cocktails!
Ranked #12 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Arlington, Virginia, United States
“Carmel Mission Inn - Clean, Comfortable, Cool....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

After checking out a number of Carmel accommodations on-line, I decided to stay at the Carmel Mission Inn on my drive up the Central Coast. At check-in there was a little confusion about my reservation (I had booked through travelocity) but was quickly cleared up when I provided my email confirmation information. We were asked if we wanted to purchase the full american breakfast buffet at check in and decided that we did. Our double queen room was on the 2nd floor with a view to the pool. I really like the retro-mod decor of the hotel and our room. The room was quiet and comfortable and we got a great nights sleep. The breakfast buffet was fabulous with lots of choices and excellent fresh fruits. I was surprised when I asked about orange juice and was told that it could be ordered for an additional $8 which seemed very strange. I declined and instead selected several fresh cut slices of orange from the fruit platter. Overall I was very happy with my brief stay at the Carmel Mission Inn and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

1,012 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This used to be a Holiday Inn and in 1969, we made our first trip there after our wedding. Today, it is renovated into an even more beautiful venue. We have stayed here 3 times and thoroughly enjoy the Inn and surrounding restaurants. A must stop on Highway 1.

• Stayed August 2013
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I spent two nights of Memorial Day weekend at the Carmel Mission Inn with my dog Charlie and my mom and sister in one of their pet friendly rooms by the pool. Overall, our stay met my expectations - staff was very friendly, our room was nicely decorated with comfortable beds and a modern bathroom, and the pool, lobby and restaurant areas were nicely maintained - think a (very) updated version of an old Motel 8 with staff trained in hospitality.

Only downside, as you can see from the map and in other reviews - is the location - you need to drive to access the beach or town. Since it was a holiday weekend, finding an affordable pet friendly room in the area was a challenge, so we booked Carmel Mission Inn knowing we would have to drive to access the area, and were happy with how things ended up, but were a bit jealous of the more conveniently located properties. For a budget minded traveller (if there is such a thing in the ritzy area of Carmel!) who wants a comfortable place to stay and is willing to sacrifice on location, this is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed one night at this hotel/motel. Easy to find beside the highway 101. It had the motel feel about it. Our room was located on the second floor of an annexe building overlooking the car park. Not a nice view at all. No lift in this building so beware when checking in to ask about this especially if you have large suit cases. We had to lump 4 cases up and down two flights of stairs to reach the room. No bell hop or assistance offered by hotel staff. The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel itself is outside the main town of Carmel and certainly not within walking distance even for the most fittest person so must use a car. Taxis were had to find especially at night. Parking in Carmel is a nightmare and pot luck to find one near the Main Street.
We had breakfast included in the room rate which was self service and very good. Had a couple of drinks in the bar at night, very expensive so beware.
More negatives than positives with this hotel/motel.
There are plenty of other b and b's in the centre of Carmel with certainly more charm and better located than Mission Hills. Carmel itself is a charming place with plenty of good restaurants, cafés and shopping. Lovely place to visit. Make sure to do the 17 mile drive around Cyprus point and Peeble Beach GC. Break taking views etc. 10 dollars to pay at gate but can claim this back if you have lunch at Peeble beach cafe. Well worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for room in building with lift. We weren't asked or given the option especially with large c...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thank you for the review of our Carmel hotel. I’m glad you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. Sounds like you took advantage of our bed and breakfast package which is truly a great value. You mentioned the fact that you were not offered bell service and I will certainly address this with my staff. This service is offered from 7 AM to 11 PM so I’m not sure why the misunderstanding occurred. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again soon. Please remember to contact the hotel direct or visit our website for those exclusive rates and packages.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We read the reviews, tossed out the High and Low ones and decided to stay here. Especially because they are Pet Friendly. The Hotel isn't exactly walking distance from downtown Carmel proper, so have a car handy. It is freeway close though, right behind a gas station as you get off it.

If I travelled across the globe and stayed here , I would be really upset. But since I live about 100 miles south I can chose to leave.

The shower looks awesome but was not very friendly to a full size man. The water pressure was weak and it was luke warm in the morning, it wasn't nice on this cold drizzling morning.

I do have to say this. The staff was very friendly

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words about our Carmel hotel. We are very proud of our friendly staff and consider them to be one of our greatest assets. We are approximately 1 ¼ miles from the center of Carmel by the Sea and consider our location to be very convenient for all that the area has to offer. We truly appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. Please contact the hotel direct for the best rates and service.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

To be fair the $40 it cost for the two of us for breakfast when I thought it was included might be my fault for not reading the small print. We got a voucher for buffet breakfast when we checked in. 2nd morning we decided to have it in room, didn't check, just assumed that we'd pay room service charge and tip. So after we'd had the breakfast restaurant phoned and said full cost payable as voucher only applied to restaurant. Having eaten it we were not exactly in a position to check!! I checked out and expressed surprise, at which the receptionist apologised, but said the voucher was for the buffet.
That said, apart from the fact that the place is all straight lines so a bit lacking in charm, the setting on the ranch is wonderful, trees and shrubs and flowers outside the building. The inn is set round a quadrangle with exotic plants and a small pool. Very pretty. However when we were there they were doing something to one side of the pool paving. There was a lot of noise from a power hammer so I hope no one was given the rooms closest to the pool!
Our room itself was light and airy, beautifully decorated and the soft furnishings were nice quality if a little tired. Some of the plastering in the room on repairs was evidently done by a DIY enthusiast.
Nice bathroom. Evidently people tend to steal the fluffy(NOT) bathrobes as there is a note that if you uplift you will be charged $65, but you can buy a new one at reception. Quite why you would want to is beyond me.
We had very good sleeps and woke refreshed, which was a change from the heat of the city.
To be honest the breakfast on both days was not impressive. The menu said toast, and there may have been a toaster in the restaurant somewhere, but the waitress didn't point us to it. We should have had eggs fried hard/soft, but what was on the buffet was scrambled. The potatoes were undercooked. The bacon whilst tasty was overcooked and therefore difficult to eat. Not worth the printed price either in the restaurant or in room
The staff were all friendly and courteous.
Would I go back? Only if I couldn't find something in a similar price in the area

Room Tip: Our room, 131 overlooked the carpark and towards the shopping area. Nice and quiet, very little exte...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It seems like your overall experience was good but somewhat tainted by your room service experience. First I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding. We take great pride in our operational integrity and honesty and for this I will respectfully disagree with your comments about these charges. You took advantage of our bed and breakfast package which is truly a great value. The explanation to our guests is quite clear as to what this offering covers. The voucher we provide to redeem this special does not include any small print but to the contrary the room service exclusion is printed in bold and underlined to avoid any confusion. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope this misunderstanding will not keep you from staying with us in the future. Please remember to contact the hotel direct for our exclusive rates and packages.
Sonoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

love the property..old carmel at its best...terrific staff.everyone was so helpful and at our service..best location in town..breakfast in the lobby bar area is superb! we would definitely recommend.We will also return!

Room Tip: you want the rooms facing the ocean!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our Carmel hotel. Your kind words and comments will be shared with our hard-working and dedicated staff. We genuinely appreciate your business and hope you will choose to stay with us again. Please contact us directly or visit our website for the very best rates and packages.

Been to Carmel Mission Inn? Share your experiences!