“Don't judge a book by its cover.” 4 of 5 stars

Free Breakfast/Cocktails!
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
North East England
“Don't judge a book by its cover.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is our second visit to The Carmel Mission Inn. I must say, the outside does look unprepossessing as you drive down the road towards it. This is probably thrown into relief if you have already been to Carmel, which is very pretty.
Fear not! Inside, this motel is much nicer. The rooms were clean, comfortable and well-appointed. Our bathroom was much less nice than the one our companions had, however, and less nice than the one we had on our last stay. We missed the walk-in shower and the elderly bath tub wasn't particularly nice. Could do with updating. The rest of the room was fine. We had a flat tv, safe, fridge.
The hotel serves a complimentary breakfast each morning, which was good. There were hot choices: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, French toast, oatmeal. Cold foods were: fresh fruits, yoghurts, granola, muffins, cakes. Coffee and tea were available. The dining room was nice and the service was good. We arrived at 9 ish and had a short wait for a table.
The pool area was cleaned daily,but by the late afternoon there was some litter, including a couple of bloodstained blister plasters left by the hot tub (some people are animals!)
There is also a fitness room.
The hotel has some nice seating outside with fire pits. Unfortunately, it was too cool in the evenings to use this.
Overall, a good experience.

Room Tip: Ask if you can have one with a walk-in shower rather than the bath tub.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Frederick, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My friend and I stopped here on our way up the coast, with no reservations, and the staff were so accommodating friendly. We were put in an amazing room that was updated and the bed was the most comfortable I have felt in a hotel to date. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Carmel, Vs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

As we were approaching this hotel I have to admit I was concerned, however after going through the check in and arriving in the room I was very pleasantly suprised. The desk staff was very nice and helpful, the room was very spacious and clean and tidy.
The place felt to me like an old motor inn from a time passed which had kept with the times in terms of service and amenities as well as being very well looked after.
There were lots of shops, including a supermarket right across the road.
About a 5min drive to Carmel town centre.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stopped in Carmel for 2 nights as part of our trip down the west coast, there aren't that many hotels in the area so we settled for this one. It is in a good location to get back onto Route 101 or 17 mile drive. There are shops over the road for convenience, it is about an 8 minute drive to Carmel itself. The hotel isn't really much to look at and the windows are old and so is the decor but the bathroom was really nice! The air con isn't great but its better than nothing! There is a pool and a nice garden at the front. On our first evening we ordered a taxi in to Carmel, it took 40 mins to arrive! We seriously think there are only about 5 taxis for the whole place! Breakfast was fine, a buffet style as in most hotels. Fine for a stop off place to stay. don't expect sheer luxury though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Stourbridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Don't judge a book by its cover!
We keep coming back to the CMI - it's in such a great spot if you are driving the route1 along the coast from Carmel down to San Luis. Although tucked behind a Chevron garage, it's a great place once you are inside. We had a friendly check in and our two rooms were perfectly reasonably. Good night sleep and decent breakfast ( think your four dollar charge for fruit juice is a bit steep mind!)
There are plenty of places to have dinner without needing to drive into Carmel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

If I could leave no feedback I would. The rooms smell like damp carpet and mold when I first walked in. There air conditioner is loud and there customer services are terrible. The General Manager thinks he knows how to run a hotel but lacks the exact thing customer services.

Clearly (from pervious trip advisor reviewers) mold does seem to be an issue. When I brought it up to the front desk they claimed mold was not an issue. My biggest issue with this hotel is there cleanness and the lake of customer services. Why when I reported the issue about mold on the walls in the room would the engineer says it’s nothing to worry about, but when I check out, I went back to the room, I noticed two engineers cleaning the same exact area I originally reported. When I asked one of them, they said “it’s a little mold”… what the heck….

I’ll never ever go back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Alameda, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Dear Carmel Mission Inn,
I understand you're hindered by the fact that you're in such an expensive location. I don't mean to fault you. It's just that... well, you're fine. You're just fine. Even when the extremely eager night clerk said that we'd already checked in (probably around the time I called to let them know that we'd be arriving late), and came with us to ensure no one was in the room(?), and they weren't, and then we had a view of the parking lot, and the windows were crappy and the wind whistling through them sounded like the wailing of a thousand lost souls... I get that it's not your fault. It's just that you're SO PRICEY; in any other area, I'd expect much, much better.

Comfortable, delightful bed and good brunch.

And noon checkout! Thanks!

Room Tip: Away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Mission Inn? Share your experiences!