“Funky Retro Modern” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Carmel
San Francisco, California
“Funky Retro Modern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wife and I stayed here for just one night on a recent road trip. We loved it. Very cool 50s or 60s building that has been totally redone in retro mod decor that fits the building well. Not my taste for decorating at home but it was cool in the hotel. Rooms are nice and big.

We had a room with a balcony overlooking the pool. It was chilly and raining when we there so not many people in the pool (there were some). If sitting outside is important to you, I'd probably make sure to ask for a room not by the pool. I could see it getting pretty noisy in warmer weather.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the pool if you want to sit outside on your balcony and enjoy quiet t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We traveled here and stayed a couple nights while touring all of California last summer. The Carmel Mission Inn was a pleasant surprise. We got a very good deal on price and the rooms and grounds were quite nice. My only complaint was the breakfast buffet, which was slow and a bit unorganized. But otherwise I would recommend others to stay here while in the Carmel area.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a whim on 12/23 and 12/24. I am in love with Carmel and wish I could live there. I'm sure I'm not alone in that opinion. It is like being in a fairytale. This hotel is not in what you would call the "thick of things". I believe it is less than 2 miles from where you would want to be in downtown Carmel. Not neccessarily what I would deem as walking distance because of the path itself but you could walk it if you were so inclined. However, its not bad and I fell in love with a place called the Bagel Bakery which is just a hop skip and jump across the street and just about died and went to heaven with their veggie sandwich. Its in a odd location, and the sign isn't easy to find but they have every imagineable topping and the bagels are delicious. Then, I am a huge bagel fan so its no surprise I was PSYCHED. Also, the Starbucks that is across the street is, by far, the nicest and most luxurious Starbucks I have ever seen. Ok, so the hotel looks a bit like a motel from the outside, but there are Angel Trumpet trees all along the front and the corridors going from one building to the next are lined in gorgeous plantings and container gardens. The room looks just like it did in the picture, very retro modern. I love green and blue so I was in heaven. I loved the turquoise fabric covered chairs that had silver brads all over them, but I digress.... The bathroom is super clean and modern and really nice.They have a holder in the modern shower that holds really nice smelling shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. So, you don't get a bunch of little bottles which is wasteful. The hallways are a bit of a mess, I don't quite get it. There was an odd smell and they were freezing cold. But, I wasn't sleeping in the hall so I am not going to judge them. That is the only reason I gave a very good and not an excellent rating really. People at front desk are super friendly and accomodating and I saw a lady lose her temper like a nut job and the woman that worked there kept her cool with the utmost grace. They are dog friendly which I love and I saw dogs everywhere. The town of Carmel is super dog friendly and they are all over the streets and beaches and it just warmed my heart, as I missed my Pablo terribly! The view from our window was awesome. Nice big flat screen tv and the bed linens were crisp and white and the bed was really comfortable. We got a great price for this and I really can't complain. So, don't listen to the naysayers on here....I think they have their [--] together at this place! I was terrified by some of the reviews, but I liked it!!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights here after initially booking for 3, over the Christmas period. It had been recommended by a friend and as soon as we arrived I knew we'd made a good decision. The common areas and rooms are just great: very clean, well decorated, attractive place and the staff were helpful and efficient. It is just outside Carmel, about a 20 min walk into the centre, or a 5 minute drive which as we had a rental car was no problem at all. A really good base to explore the Carmel, Monterrey, Big Sur area.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I have stayed several times during the past 9 or 10 yrs as our daughter lives in the area. What is very important for us is the quality of the room for someone disabled. My wife needs either a walker or wheelchair, as she can't walk. She contracted poliio in 96. Anyway we drive quite a bit between our home in San Jose to south of Portland so it is a challenge to find decent rooms for disabled. In particular they often have such a room on the second floor and of course have the customary sign advising one not to use the elevator in case of fire. Often the bathrooms are so narrow one with a walker can barely navigate. If they have a shower chair it is usually in a tub which for someone like my wife dangerous to climb or step over. Shower chairs are typically pretty flimsy. The best like they have at Carmel Mission Inn have a folddown solid bench in a shower with nothing to step over to gain entry. The bathroom itself is very spacious probably as spacious as it gets. The beds, room itself, linens, furniture all quality and very clean. And I think for what you receive and the area you are in a fair price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Meadow Vista, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at the property on a crowded and busy Christmas holiday. Our check-in was handled with expediency, although there was a bit of a waiting line (it was 4 p.m. check-in time).
Our third floor room (there are four floors, I believe) was just as we hoped, but larger. Nicely appointed room, and clean. It faced the parking lot and the Barnyard shoping area. But, we weren't there for the view. Large double window lets in plenty of light, but when the shades are drawn, the room stays nice and dark to facilitate sleeping in.
Room is quiet.
Terrycloth robes!
3 minute walk to Starbuck's.
Didn't try the hotel restaurant, but "From Scratch" restaurant in the Barnyard serves up a tasty breakfast.

Santa Maria, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

My fiance and I took our infant on his first road trip - a winter getaway to Carmel. What a memorable and special time we had in the gorgeous Carmel Mission Inn! The room was spotless, beautifully appointed, comfortable and just totally wonderful - especially the patio which overlooked the pool area. A small refrigerator was provided, which was so helpful, in keeping bottles and baby food chilled until the baby was ready for them.

Surprisingly (or not, this is the Central Coast after all), the weather in late November was gorgeous and our baby enjoyed his first pool experience (using a swim diaper, of course), which we captured with our camcorder. The pool was beautiful and the staff thoughtfully provides a wicker trunk filled with clean, fluffy towels for easy access for guests. This hotel was super easy to find off Highway 101, and it is literally just off of Highway 1, easy access to explore Carmel - and Monterey. We (and a family we met at the hotel's pool) visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium, making our winter getaway a completely awesome experience.

I highly recommend this hotel for awesome staff - courteous and helpful with perfect follow-through, great food (room service rocks!), easy access from two roadways and a beautiful, modern hotel. We hope to stay again in the near future! See you soon, Carmel Mission Inn!

Room Tip: I think ours was room 341 - easy access from the elevator and the patio overlooks the pool - complet...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for the review of our Carmel CA hotel. I am pleased that you would stay with us again and you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. We are very proud of our “awesome” staff and I am glad they took good care of you. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again. Please remember to contact the hotel directly for the best rates and service.

Been to Carmel Mission Inn? Share your experiences!