“Exactly What We Needed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Riverside, CA
“Exactly What We Needed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We've stayed in the Monterey/Carmel area several times before. We've had vacation rentals and stayed at small hotels on Monterey's hotel row. This time we opted to stayed for three nights at the Carmel Mission Inn. The location is very central to everything. We wanted to explore Carmel Valley a little more this time and the hotel location is perfect for that.
The hotel is just off Highway 1 next to the "Barnyard" shopping center. This center has quite a few restaurants and high end shops. You can get to the center from the north side of the hotel. One note...quite a few of the restaurants in this center are on Restaurant.com which could save you a few bucks.
We booked through the hotel website which gave us the best deal. Check-in was easy and the front desk staff were awesome. We were traveling with our little dog and this property is very dog friendly. We had a first floor room which is reserved for people brining thier dogs. The room was spotless and really well furnished. While it wasn't fancy, we felt very comfortable. The beds were pretty good which is a big deal to us. The room had a safe, flat panel tv, and refrigerator. We requested more towels and they delivered within 10 minutes. The pool area is very nice and they have an outdoor seating area with a gas fire pit which we used one evening.
The property was fairly quiet and parking is good. Parking at some of the hotels closer to town can be a challenge.
Overall, we had a great stay and will be back. We felt very relaxed and appreciated the excellent staff, clean room and resonable rate. Try it out.

Room Tip: Check the hotel website.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Thanks for recognizing our key attributes. We have a great central location with many amenities. Our staff tries their hardest to make everyone's stay great. By using the hotel website or by calling direct one will find the best rates and service including our bed and breakfast package. We appreciate you thoughts and business and hope to see you agsain soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Ontario, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My wife and I had a great time at the hotle.Everyone treats you with a smile and very kind. looking forward returning with more friends.

Room Tip: call in advance
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and saying you will return. To us that is a great vote of confidence. Please try our 'bed & breakfast package" which is an outstanding value. This must be booked on our website or by calling the hotel direct. We thank you for your business and look forward to seeing you again.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

The service was great all the staff were helpful and very friendly. Looking forward to staying again. The only thing that was a problem was I am disabled, and the rooms for the disabled also allowed animals to stay in them which is a problem. I have allergy that is related to animals. They did assign me and my family to another floor and provided me with a mat for the shower. This did work out for me and my family.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and we look forward to your return. I am please that our staff took care of your needs in a professional and cheerful manner. I recommend that when you return you try our "bed & breakfast package" which is our best value. This is only available on our website or by calling the hotel direct. Thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you again.
Sacramento, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Looks like this used to some kind of chain hotel and they spruced it up with new decor.

Our stay started out OK with getting an upgraded room and a couple of free drinks at the bar because it was my birthday. King room was roomy and clean with a patio. Flat screen TV but didn't come in very well.

Two issues though. We used the hot tub/pool. The next morning I noticed my swimsuit was a totally different color and so was hubbys. WAY to much chorine in the water. Notified the manager in the morning and he said he was surprised because the system was all automated. Well, if no one is using the tub you can't keep dumping chemicals in without checking it. My suit cost $70 and no kind of offer was made for reimbursement or anything.

Also, when we tried to use the 2 free drink tix at 9:01 in the evening, the bartender said she didn't have a bank anymore and couldn't give us any drinks. The darn drinks were supposed to be free! How hard would it have been to open a couple bottles of beer?

We stayed at this location because it is within walking distance to Mission Ranch which has a cool piano bar and we didn't want to drink and drive.

If some kind of effort would have been made for our ruined suits/unused drink tickets (even a free breakfast would have been fine) I would have given more stars. Paid $109 per night which isn't exactly cheap considering you're not officially in Carmel but in Carmel Valley.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
N.L.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We arrevied at the hotel and paid extra for breackfast and they told us that we had until 11 am to get it. So the next morning at 10 we go down to the restaurant and they tell us it is closed so we start to complain because they had told us that it was until 11 am and then the manager comes and tells us that the problem is that they ran out of food and could not even give us some toast. Can you imagine a hotel that is not fully booked and still runs out of food? They said that the hotels restaurant was open all 3 meals but how could we have lunch there if the did not even have enough for breakfast. So we decided to change hotels because we wanted to stay 2 nights but after that we could not risk it..

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We only stayed here for one night and would love to go back. Rooms were very nice, very clean with a big comfy king size bed, including a beautifully decorated bathroom with a huge shower. The restaraunt offers a wonderful menu selection with attentive and friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I pre-booked this hotel for a trip down the coast with my friend while we were in San Francisco for work. I called the hotel, gave them my name and credit card details and duly took note of the reservation number. When we arrived, they could not find any details of my reservation but assured me “that they had not taken money already” and could “fit us in”. I handed over my credit card again, after getting further reassurances that I had not already been charged.

I won’t even go into the patronizing questioning by the woman on the front desk. When I told her I booked by phone she actually picked up a phone to show me and asked me to confirm I meant a telephone. Yes a telephone and yes we do have these in England.

So imagine my surprise when I came back to the UK to find I had been charged twice. I immediately called the hotel and spoke at length to Michelle in reservations. Explaining fully what had happened. She asked me to send a copy of my bank statement, which I did. And so began the waiting…three months…nothing. No response, no refund, nothing. I called them again and had another discussion, this time I was told my bank statement would be good enough because they had no evidence on their computer of charging me twice. Therefore it could not have happened…You do have evidence YOU HAVE MY BANK STATEMENT.

Eventually after fully explaining again the events of that fateful day, this new reservations clerk did some digging and found that I had been charged for a no show. I’m pretty sure I was there, but I guess if it says on their computer I wasn’t, I can’t have been. She organized a refund and was helpful, right up until the moment she insinuated it was my fault for spelling my name wrong when I booked originally. Pretty sure I know how to spell my name, but again your booking system computer “HAL 9000” is infallible, so I must be wrong. Two international phone calls and four months later I got my money back! All I can say is check your statement if you choose to stay here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Carmel Mission Inn? Share your experiences!