“Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Carmel
Santa Monica, California
“Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

It really is an incredibly beautiful place. The structure, the decor, the flowers, plants, everything. No photo can do it justice. Just lovely. Price is reasonable for the area. Motel is 4 stories. My view from my 4th floor was fantastic. Room decor was bright and upbeat. Different from the average motel. Big bathroom. Clean. Very comfortable. (Be aware that although 4th floor has non-smoking rooms, guests are allowed to smoke on the balcony. Doesn't make sense to me, but every motel seems to allow smoking right outside non-smoking rooms.) No breakfast with the room, but they have a restaurant on site and you can get room service. (Didn't bother me because I don't eat big breakfasts.) Huge, gorgeous swimming pool. Shopping center directly behind the motel and another across the street. Big Sur is a 45 minute drive up Hwy 1. I found this location to be perfect for me. Went to Monterey, Pacific Grove, Big Sur - all easy drives from the Inn. Very friendly staff - eager to help with anything you need. There was a mix-up in driving directions as I was leaving, but when I spoke with the manager, she was very kind. No bad vibes here. I would certainly stay again. I miss it already!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I had a delightful 4 night stay at the Inn with other members of our Chrysler 300 car club. The rooms were very nice and clean. Bathroom was roomy with nice, push button soap, shampoo and gel in the shower. We even had a balcony to sit out in the sun, overlooking the pool. Tons of flowering plants and a fire pit in the courtyard.

There grounds are beautifully maintained and we had a nice view of the green hills. The hotel was accommodating and provided the club members with their cars a separate parking area so members could view the cars to their best advantage.

There was boutique shopping and restaurants directly behind us at the Barn Yard and across the street as well.
Free Wi-Fi made for updates on our e-mails.

This was our first time visit to the Carmel Inn and we can recommend it. It is an older Inn as most lodgings in Carmel.

Room Tip: They have corner rooms with larger balconies
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

What was to be merely a pitstop on route to San-Francisco from L.A. became one of the best days of our two weeks in California. We had done a fair amount of research about lodging in the area,and this popular Trip Advisor pick jumped out at us from the get-go. A quick look at the hotel website and we knew this would be a great place for the value as well as for the amenities.Just how great we had no idea until we checked into our room overlooking the pool and hot tub. This old school motel has been given the most extensive facelift I have ever seen. It now has retro 60's chic style design (a la Austin Powers) married with tasteful well constructed modern appointments and the most fabulous bathroom I have seen in a "motel". Great effort was put into reconfiguring each room to make the best use of space.An impractical closet has been removed to add more space in the luxe bathroom and replaced by a beautiful dark wood armoire on the other end of the room for hanging your clothes. The balconies are spacious and private and the beds are instant sleep comfortable.The grounds around the inn have been transformed into a meticulously cared for garden of eden,the pool and outdoor sauna are pristine,and the common areas very well kept. There are plenty of shopping and dining options right behind the inn at "The Barnyard" shopping plaza, which is also wonderfully landscaped. After dinner we took,a short drive into Carmel to watch the sunset on the beach.Magnificent ! To top it off,we got an outstanding complimentary breakfast made to order in the lounge the next morning.Why didn't we plan to stay longer ? There is so much to offer in the area that we didn't have a chance to see.We will make this pitstop into a destination next time and explore all that Carmel has to offer. I give the Carmel Mission Inn my very highest recommendation.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms on the upper floors around the pool.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011 via mobile

I was a little scared when we pulled up...this hotel is right behind a gas station. But once we got out of the car we felt like we were in an oasis! Great for the price...we will be back!

• Stayed May 2011
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

We stayed at the Carmel Mission Inn because I wanted to be away from the hustle and bustle of Monterrey. This place was wonderful. The building has the look of a Best Western or Holiday Inn but inside they have made it upscale. The rooms were very roomy and the bathroom was throughly spa like. The entire place was very clean as well. Our rate included breakfast for two each morning and though they called it a continental breakfast I thought it was a bit more. Fruit, oatmeal, eggs, bacon and sausage, potatoes and baked goods. We had a room with a balcony and could partially see the water. There is a pool as well and the grounds are decorated very nicely. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We found this hotel through the Sunset Magazine, they did a review of hotels under $149 in CA. We $119 one night and $179 the second night. We visited Carmel at the end of our trip. Had we known how great Carmel and this hotel was, we would have skipped San Francisco. The rooms were comfortable, QUIET, clean, funky decor (the whole hotel), convenient to beaches, shopping, FOOD! We will be going back next year and the follow year will be taking kids and grandkids.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our Carmel Ca Hotel. Our staff works hard to provide a clean and comfortable place to stay and we are glad you appreciate the effort. When you return please try our bed & breakfast package which is an outstanding value. Just remember this can only be booked on our website or by calling the hotel direct. Thank you for your business.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

If I could give this place negative stars I would. The protesting against the Inn at 6am on a Saturday was an unfortunate experience to endure on vacation. The manner in which the manager and staff dealt with the situation was down right unacceptable. Apparently these protests occur once a month. Once a month- meaning enough months have gone by to track such a trend. I am a reasonable person...I understand there are some things in this world you cannot control. However, when such unexpected (or perhaps expected in this case) things happen, I do feel it is the hotel's responsibility to attempt to take some action. If not to remedy the situation, then to at least make their guests feel at ease as shouting from bullhorns blair through their hotel at 6am. If the manager and staff were the least bit concerned about our concerns, I think I would've been alright. However, the eye-rolling and condescending tone was very much not appreciated. New signage and a fresh coat of paint over an old motel is not enough grounds to treat customers as though they are lucky to be your guests. The unbelievable lack of professionalism left me with nothing but negative feelings and a desire to warn other of this epic failure of an Inn. Save your money or spend it elsewhere and hopefully your vacation will not be ruined as mine has.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Wow. We remember you quite well. First let me say that when someone touts themselves as reasonable I usually take cover. I will come back to that. Now for the facts. The Carmel Mission Inn had been a union hotel for over 25 years. The contract expired in August 2010. In January 2011 the majority of our hardworking, dedicated employees exercised their rights and voted the union out. During this process there have been several peaceful demonstrations and on 3 occasions these early morning noise makers. We are not sure who these people represent but the police were promptly notified when they arrived. These occurrences are very seldom and without any prior warning. It is just the union’s way of trying to harm our business and strike back at the employees who voted them out. Now when someone opines without the facts we question the integrity of the individual. These occurrences are random, there is no trend and the hotel staff responded with a high degree of professionalism. When someone creates a scene in the lobby, verbally abuses the front desk agents ,waves their arms in a threatening manner and then quiets down and apologizes as the police are being called I guess you can call that reasonable. Thanks for the review. We stand by the many honest ladies and gentlemen who review our hotel and appreciate the efforts of our hardworking, caring and dedicated staff.

Been to Carmel Mission Inn? Share your experiences!