“Can't judge a book by it's cover which describes this hotel-the inside is beautiful-rooms, food, staff all wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Mission Inn

Free Breakfast/Cocktails!
Ranked #11 of 21 hotels in Carmel
anaheim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Our 2 night stay at the Carmel Mission Inn was wonderful. Recently remodled clean rooms, brightly decorated at a fair price. Bathroom was nicely decorated and clean! The food at the restaurant was amazing. We were pleasantly surpised by the complimentary breakfast. Not your standard muffins and fruits. You select from the menu. Enjoyed a delicous quiet breakfast in front of the fireplace...loved it so much we came back for dinner. The portions and presentation were beyond our expectations! The staff was friendly - check in and out a breeze. Location is wonderful. We walked out our door and across the parking lot to the Barnyard Shoppnig Center and traveled just minutes to the Mission and the heart of Carmel. Will defininetely stay here during our next trip to Carmel. Don't judge this hotel from the outside....it's a pleasant surprise!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Thanks for opening that book to discover what some call "a gem" while others "an outstanding value". We strive to make this a special place though knowing we are far from perfect. For us it is the effort that counts most and recognizing our freindly staff is a large part of that. We thank you for your business and if you come to visit our area again we hope you will stay with us. Please remember to always contact the hotel direct for the best rates, packages and service.

996 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

The hotel is hidden from the street. Right when you step into the lobby, the fun decor welcomes you. We came too early to check-in for our wine tour, so we checked out the lobby seating (very comfy) and right when we were to leave for our wine tour, the hotel gave us discount tickets for our winery! Yay! We got a deal on our wine we bought.
The room was a one bed room, but it was pretty big. There was extra seating and the decor was lovely. I LOVED the bathroom. The shower was wonderful, the robes were comfy, and everything looked clean and sleek. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone. Great location with eateries and shops across the street. Near wineries you can taxi to.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Life should be filled with fun moments and we are sincerely glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We tried to create a little excitement in the decor with our recent renovation and many really like what we did. I'm glad you appreciated the cleanliness which is the product of our hardworking and dedicated housekeeping staff. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again. Please contact the hotel directly for the best rates, packages and service.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

My hubby and I are passing by Carmel and we decided to stay here for its reasonable rate. Well, lesson learned - too reasonable can be a high risk hotel. Front desk service is friendly and professional, but when we were walking up to our room which was on the 4th floor, I smelled something rancid at the hallway by our door. It smelled like someone vomited at the hallway after a heavy night of drinking from the Irish pub a few steps away from the hotel. I was willing to forgive as the smell was not in our room. However, what I did discover gross me out.... i was about to lounge on the bed after hours of driving and, i found 3 of the 5 pillows with yellow stains. One pillow with bigger stain had a piece of hair in it. Gross. Anyway, my hubby immediately called front desk and asked for all pillows to be replaced with fresh ones. We should have asked for the entire bed spread to be replaced or perhaps checked out because, the day after we checked out, i realized I have been beaten by something. I found myself scratching my lower body and found a few red bumps on my leg. Not sure if it was bed bugs, but if anything, it is probably fleas. I did remember that they allowed pets in this hotel and if it was bed bugs, then I would have gotten in all over my body. That was not the case.

The only positive thing I can say about this place is the fact that they have L'Occitane nad Bath and Body Works toiletries, but this is not enough reason for me to stay here once again. The room reminded me of a 70's decor and the only area that was modern was the bathroom. NOthing worth raving about especially if there are some creatures leaving you with bites on your body.

My hubby called them about our experience and they offered us a discount and he responded, " no, thanks but we won't be coming back."

Room Tip: Stay away unless you are flea friendly
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Wow! Motel 6 type,confused decor,beaten by something, bedbugs/fleas,a few bumps causing itching all over the lower body, stained pillows. For the facts. There were no bedbugs or fleas in your room. The one pillow did have a stain that was barely detectable. You were never offered a discount. We are still waiting for the results of your doctors visit to determine what cause the itching that you promised to provide. It is apparent to us where the confusion lies. We stand by our great product and the many honest reviews that we receive.
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

This was a great place to stay and was an unexpected delight. My wife and I celebrated our 20th Anniversary by taking a 5 night trip to California. We stayed 3 nights in San Francisco and then planned for 2 nights down the coast toward Carmel to take the 17 mile drive (which was breathtaking). We stayed the first night in Carmel at another place that was nice... but quite pricey, however, we decided to look for another place for our second night. We saw The Carmel Mission Inn right off Hwy 1 and pulled in and asked to see a room. First off, ask for Phyllis when you call! She was awesome! I am sure that all of their front desk hosts are good but she was fabulous! She helped us with our every need and was one of the best I have ever encountered. I asked to see a room and we were immediately given a key for viewing. I was impressed when I saw the room but was really impressed when I saw the price! It was the best value of our entire trip. The king room was roomy and clean and more upscale than I thought. We upgraded for about $10 for the breakfast and believe me....we were not disappointed! It was wonderful. The breakfast was huge and beautiful. This is a very nice place to stay with a great location and in close proximity to the entire area. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Thank you for reviewing our Carmel CA. hotel. We pride ouselves in provinding an outstanding value and we are pleased you enjoyed our convenient location. Phyliss is truly a remarkable employee and she goes out of her way to make guests feel special. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the bed and breakfast special which is a great value. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return. Please remember to contact the hotel direct for the best rates and service.
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

We were very pleased with the hotel. It is close enough to Carmel and Monterey for ease of access. The room was attractive and comfortable and the staff was very friendly. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
We thank you for taking the time to review our Carmel hotel. One of the best compliments we can receive is to no that you will stay with us again. We streive to provide an outstanding value and our friendly, caring staff is a large part of what we do. Next time please take advantage of our bed and breakfast package which is an outstanding value. We appreciate your business and remember to contact the hotel directly for the best rates and service.
Oxnard, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Rooms are fine. Good value for the Carmel area, which is of course overpriced. The hotel's spa and pool area was closed. We so looked forward to relaxing in the spa after a day of sightseeing. Would have been nice if hotel would have notified us ahead of time that spa would be closed. Gave us a few drink coupons for our trouble.
The worst is that they were fixing the pool both days we were here. Worse than that, we had jackhammer going full bore right outside our door at from 3:00 to 4:00 pm when we were hoping to relax before dinner. My wife tried to talk to customer service and was met with a "we didn't know they were going to be working on it today" . She asked if we could be moved to a different room for a few hours, but she was told they could not do that because of cleaning issues. IT would have been nice to at least have someone issue an apology, but the management expressed no concern whatsoever.
I guess it goes with the saying "you get what you pay for". So if you want a cheap room (cheap being a very relative term for Carmel), stay here, but don't expect much from this place. Rio Grill across the street is decent for dinner/happy hour. Wineries in Carmel Valley are good!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I'm truly sorry that your stay was less than perfect. Our pool and hot tub area is closed until early April for renovation but when complete will be fabulous. We hope you will return to enjoy our convenient location and excellent value so please remember to contact the hotel directly for the best rates,packages and service.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

I travel a lot for my job all over the States and more often than not end up staying in one of the generic and bland hotel chains. My company made me reservations to stay at the Carmel Mission Inn while I was in Carmel and when I pulled up I admit I didn't expect this place would be any different as the building looks old and slightly run-down. How wrong could I have been? My room on the third floor was fantastic, completely renovated and modern with wonderfully comfortable beds. An iPod dock next to the bed was great for listening to music after a long drive up from LA (and re-charge my iPhone!). The shower had shampoo and conditioner by L'Occitane which is a godsend and something hotels at this price point normally always skimp on. I had breakfast included with my stay and the cooked breakfast was great, very tasty and set us up well for the week's work. Finally, I couldn't end this review without mentioning the absolutely superb service from Phyllis on the front desk. I've never pulled up at a hotel at 10 at night and met a more lively or helpful lady. She literally couldn't do enough, from recommending fantastic places to eat every night to dealing with faxes and phone calls about payment for our stay from my office in LA - the hotel has an absolute gem in this lady and I will certainly be back to visit Carmel with my wife and I hope Phyllis will be on hand to check us in!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
We appreciate your comments about our Carmel CA hotel and your recognition of Phyliss, who truly is an outstanding employee. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our fine amenities which include L' Occitane bath products. The bed and breakfast package is a great value and we are glad you took advantage of that. We look forward to your return and please remember to contact the hotel direct for the best rates and service.

Been to Carmel Mission Inn? Share your experiences!