“A New Favorite” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Birmingham, Alabama
“A New Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

This was a great place to stay and was an unexpected delight. My wife and I celebrated our 20th Anniversary by taking a 5 night trip to California. We stayed 3 nights in San Francisco and then planned for 2 nights down the coast toward Carmel to take the 17 mile drive (which was breathtaking). We stayed the first night in Carmel at another place that was nice... but quite pricey, however, we decided to look for another place for our second night. We saw The Carmel Mission Inn right off Hwy 1 and pulled in and asked to see a room. First off, ask for Phyllis when you call! She was awesome! I am sure that all of their front desk hosts are good but she was fabulous! She helped us with our every need and was one of the best I have ever encountered. I asked to see a room and we were immediately given a key for viewing. I was impressed when I saw the room but was really impressed when I saw the price! It was the best value of our entire trip. The king room was roomy and clean and more upscale than I thought. We upgraded for about $10 for the breakfast and believe me....we were not disappointed! It was wonderful. The breakfast was huge and beautiful. This is a very nice place to stay with a great location and in close proximity to the entire area. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Thank you for reviewing our Carmel CA. hotel. We pride ouselves in provinding an outstanding value and we are pleased you enjoyed our convenient location. Phyliss is truly a remarkable employee and she goes out of her way to make guests feel special. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the bed and breakfast special which is a great value. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return. Please remember to contact the hotel direct for the best rates and service.

1,012 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

We were very pleased with the hotel. It is close enough to Carmel and Monterey for ease of access. The room was attractive and comfortable and the staff was very friendly. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
We thank you for taking the time to review our Carmel hotel. One of the best compliments we can receive is to no that you will stay with us again. We streive to provide an outstanding value and our friendly, caring staff is a large part of what we do. Next time please take advantage of our bed and breakfast package which is an outstanding value. We appreciate your business and remember to contact the hotel directly for the best rates and service.
Oxnard, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Rooms are fine. Good value for the Carmel area, which is of course overpriced. The hotel's spa and pool area was closed. We so looked forward to relaxing in the spa after a day of sightseeing. Would have been nice if hotel would have notified us ahead of time that spa would be closed. Gave us a few drink coupons for our trouble.
The worst is that they were fixing the pool both days we were here. Worse than that, we had jackhammer going full bore right outside our door at from 3:00 to 4:00 pm when we were hoping to relax before dinner. My wife tried to talk to customer service and was met with a "we didn't know they were going to be working on it today" . She asked if we could be moved to a different room for a few hours, but she was told they could not do that because of cleaning issues. IT would have been nice to at least have someone issue an apology, but the management expressed no concern whatsoever.
I guess it goes with the saying "you get what you pay for". So if you want a cheap room (cheap being a very relative term for Carmel), stay here, but don't expect much from this place. Rio Grill across the street is decent for dinner/happy hour. Wineries in Carmel Valley are good!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I'm truly sorry that your stay was less than perfect. Our pool and hot tub area is closed until early April for renovation but when complete will be fabulous. We hope you will return to enjoy our convenient location and excellent value so please remember to contact the hotel directly for the best rates,packages and service.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

I travel a lot for my job all over the States and more often than not end up staying in one of the generic and bland hotel chains. My company made me reservations to stay at the Carmel Mission Inn while I was in Carmel and when I pulled up I admit I didn't expect this place would be any different as the building looks old and slightly run-down. How wrong could I have been? My room on the third floor was fantastic, completely renovated and modern with wonderfully comfortable beds. An iPod dock next to the bed was great for listening to music after a long drive up from LA (and re-charge my iPhone!). The shower had shampoo and conditioner by L'Occitane which is a godsend and something hotels at this price point normally always skimp on. I had breakfast included with my stay and the cooked breakfast was great, very tasty and set us up well for the week's work. Finally, I couldn't end this review without mentioning the absolutely superb service from Phyllis on the front desk. I've never pulled up at a hotel at 10 at night and met a more lively or helpful lady. She literally couldn't do enough, from recommending fantastic places to eat every night to dealing with faxes and phone calls about payment for our stay from my office in LA - the hotel has an absolute gem in this lady and I will certainly be back to visit Carmel with my wife and I hope Phyllis will be on hand to check us in!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
We appreciate your comments about our Carmel CA hotel and your recognition of Phyliss, who truly is an outstanding employee. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our fine amenities which include L' Occitane bath products. The bed and breakfast package is a great value and we are glad you took advantage of that. We look forward to your return and please remember to contact the hotel direct for the best rates and service.
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend in early February... The weather was great... I stayed in lodges on ocean avenue in carmel before but I think this is one of the best in that area. you have to keep in minds that most of the lodges there are small and to some sort pricey...

This is close to highway 1 where you could go to Carmel, the mission, point lobos or drive to Monterrey... there is shopping center in front and dinning places in the back... rooms are clean but not that spacious overall... the pool is nice and heated.. their restaurant has good food but breakfast is not included unless you pay 15$ more upon reservation.... They have free internet and parking which is a plus!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to review our Carmel CA hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our great central location and many fine amenities. It is our goal to be the best value in our area and from myself and our friendly, caring staff we appreciate your comments. Thank you for your business and please remember to contact the hotel direct for the best rates and service. Try our bed and breakfast package for a great value.
Redondo Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed here with our dog for 4 nights. We got a great rate and you only pay a one time fee for you dog - i have heard of other places charging a fee every night or charging a lot in general. The fee here is just $35 and our room was very nice and clean - I have a really sensitive nose and never felt like the hotel or our room smelled like a dog.

For those of you interested in the Fitness Center - know that it is just ok, not too much going on there.

There is a nice fire pit in the front part of the hotel that we enjoyed in the evening. It was really chilly during our stay so we really liked being able to hang by the fire pit with some wine. Fire pits seem to be everywhere in the area so there are other places to just hang out by the fire as well.

Overall really enjoyed our stay. Slept really well...room was fine for what we needed...bathroom was pretty nice. We did not eat at the hotel at any point so cannot say anything about the food.

The Barnyard is right behind the hotel - like a 2 min. walk and we ate the at pizza place there one night...just ok, nothing special and we also had breakfast at "From Scratch" one morning. Breakfast was really good so definitely recommned checking that out...if you want to bring your dog along there is an outdoor area for eating so that was nice!

Across the street from the hotel there is a shopping center that looks really new. There are some restaurants/shopping there but we did not check out any. There is a CVS and Safeway (with Starbucks :)) if you need anything like that while you are staying at the hotel so that was very convienient.

Carmel is amazing and I never wanted to leave so I think I could have stayed anywhere and been happy just because of the location but if you want to bring your pet along and do not feel like spending too much money (I think I got a AAA rate of $99 or something like that) it's a great hotel. You are just a 2 mile drive to downtown Carmel and 5 miles from Monterey. The hotel is right off of Route 1 which other reviews acted like it was weird or awful but I did not think anything of it.

Downtown Carmel is really dog friendly like everyone says - there is a great beach at the bottom of the downtown area and dogs can go off leash. If you have your dog taken him/her to Diggidy Dog shop for some treats, really cute place and from what it seems like almost all the shops are dog friendly. PortaBella actually let us bring our dog into the restaurant and we sat in the back corner. They do have an indoor heated patio that we were supposed to sit at with our dog but there were people smoking out there so they offered us an inside seat which I was so appreciative of! Great food so it made the entire experience really enjoyable.
Definitely do 17 mile drive...entrance is not far from the beach...the drive does not get really good until about halfway through, just FYI!
Great place to stay and a great trip overall!

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dog lovers rejoice. Carmel loves you. Our Carmel CA hotel provides a limited number of pet friendly rooms and we are pleased you found us and enjoyed your stay. We believe we provide an outstanding value in this great destination and well mannered pets are always welcome. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again. Please remember to contact the hotel directly for the best rates and service. Book our bed and breafast for a great value.
Alturas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Going to Monterey, Carmel the best time to travel is off season. The weather is very often nice, less crowds and the best rates on hotels. We stayed here in February with our dog and was pleasantly surprised. I'm originally from Monterey so I know the area well and the location is great for a Carmel centric location. There are two shopping centers right near by, both within walking distance, with a large choice of restaurants, pubs and shops to choose from. It's right off Hwy 1 but far enough to be quite and safe for the dog. The room decor is sort of 50's ish but very clean and quite, though the bathroom was rather small, but still nice and clean. If you're a pet traveler Carmel is an ideal place to visit. Everything there is pet friendly. The main beach is "off leash" so dogs can run and play freely. Many restaurants and bars with patio areas even welcome your pooch. I am already looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
If you love animals and enjoy watching them have fun Carmel CA is a must visit. Whether unleashed on the beach, strolling through the Village or enjoying the new walking path next to the hotel the experience is wonderful. Our great value plus convenient central location will enhance your trip. Please remember to contact the hotel directly for the best rates and service and do try our bed and breakfast package.

Been to Carmel Mission Inn? Share your experiences!