“Nice place to stay in Carmel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Carmel Bay View Inn

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Carmel Bay View Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Carmel Bay View Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Junipero Street between Fifth and Sixth Street, PO Box 3715, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #13 of 21 hotels in Carmel
San Francisco, California
“Nice place to stay in Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Carmel Bay View Inn. We travel to Carmel/Monterey area quite often, at least several time a year.
This motel is centrally located, and offers some great values. We had a ocean view room, (really a peak of ocean due to the trees) with a balcony.
Room was clean, front office very helpful. The pillows could/should be replaced, but we know to bring our own. It is a great motel for the price, not fancy, but clean and comfortable
I would defintely stay again

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We loved the place, great location, rooms are very nice. I highly recommending to everybody!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Nevada City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the Best Western Carmel Town House Lodge last time and were very satisfied. This stay we decided to splurge. I paid more for what I thought was a nicer hotel with a ocean view. I was very wrong. Right off the bat the staff at the front counter were very rude. We got our room keys and walked straight to our room and neither of the keys worked. We returned and were told that we should not put the keys next to credit cards. Not a big deal, but he lady at the front counter said it in a very rude blaming tone and the keys never left our hands. To put this very simple, the hotel looks dirty, the rooms look old and dirty, the staff was rude and the ocean view is not worth the extra money. I would never stay in this hotel again. I love Best Western, but they should not put their name on this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Evesham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

First of all, I should point out that we've never stayed in Carmel before. So I have no other hotels to compare this one to.

We managed to get a last minute booking at the Bay View Inn - it was Poodle Parade weekend and most of the hotels were full. Carmel does seem to have a pretty busy schedule of events through the year, so be sure to check 'what's on' before you book. A nice guy who we got talking to on plane on the way home said that he and a friend had tried to book in for the weekend too, but without success. So it appears we booked one of the last rooms in town.

OK, the details.

Don't get me wrong. This is a perfectly acceptable place to stay the night, but it doesn't set the world on fire for accommodation either. I agree with several other reviews who suggested the Bay View is more of a Motel than a Hotel.

First the positives.

The position of the Hotel is good. To be fair, most hotels in Carmel are conveniently positioned. It's just a short walk to take in the sights.

Parking is plentiful and free, either on the higher level at the back of the Hotel, or down on Street level. This is especially helpful in Carmel, where parking is apparently at a premium.

We had an ipad with us and the used the free WiFi with no probs - there was a transmitter in the room.

There was a Fridge and a coffee maker installed inside a cabinet in the room (seems a bit odd and a little dangerous). However, if you're a tea drinker you wouldn't be able to use it to heat water because the water would be tainted with the taste of coffee. But if you fancy a cup of coffee, it's there for you.

We found the reception staff we came across very efficient and helpful. In particular a very nice guy called Francisco who helped us out with one or two things.

There's a computer (Apple Mac, well done guys) in the reception area. This means you can confirm flights and print out your boarding passes if you need to. Or just use it to research the area of course.

Now the negatives.

We stayed in one of the top floor rooms with a view (just) of the sea and a balcony with a small table and a couple of chairs. The room was clean but looked as though it had seen better days. The carpeting was odd and not unlike velcro. We hoped it was the type of carpet and not something unpleasant that had been spilled on the carpet that was sticking to our feet!!

We noticed other people had their doors open onto the car park and realised why. There was a very strange rather musty smell in the room. So we did the same thing, opening the back door and the sliding door to the balcony to let some fresh air into the room.

There was no air con. Luckily it wasn't too hot, so this didn't matter to us. But worth considering if you need to book a room in Carmel during a very hot period of weather.

The bathroom was very good, it was clean and looked fairly new. But one huge drawback was the lack of blinds at the window. Bear in mind the bathroom faced onto the car park and there was also a walkway outside the window. This meant we spent our time ducking down every time anyone walked past. Keep the light off, or you'll provide a free show for everyone. It would cost very little to put curtains or blinds at the windows, so I don't know why they haven't done that.

We found that we were being woken at around six in the morning by loud noises. We couldn't work out whether it was the bins being collected or the fact that the Hotel laundry was under our room. It was a particular pain on the morning of the day we were due to fly back. We could have done with an extra hour or two of sleep before facing our long flight back to the UK.

Whilst we were there we had to use the Hotel phone. If it had been earlier we would have made the call from a payphone. But a short International call cost us $28. So only use the phone in your room if money is no object.

Finally. After the super duper breakfasts on offer at the Elm House Inn in Napa, breakfasts here were very basic. Arrive early or you'll find little left on the counter.

The coffee dispenser can run out and isn't always replaced. But they will fill your cup in the kitchen next to the breakfast room if you ask.

To sum up. This Hotel is OK. Not brilliant, but not as horrendously bad as some reviewers have painted it.

We wouldn't stay there again given the choice, but if you have no other choice, then it's a perfectly acceptable place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a top floor room where parking is directly outside the door.
arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

What a miserable room we had. Only good feature was the floor slants outward assisting your exit! Dirty, stained carpet, awful bedspread that feels and looks filthy, TV (an old Zenith 21 inch tube model hidden in an old cabinet) can't be seen from either the bed or the sofa!. Paper thin walls. Spartan furnishings (sofa, table, bed) The bathroom was clean but small and cramped. And we were charged almost $280 for a Friday night. We stayed the previous four nights at the Tradewinds (couldn't get Friday at Tradewinds) at $220 per night and that hotel is a 5 diamond hotel by comparison. We chose this facility because of the Best Western Plus designation. Won't go Best Western chain again unless someone I trust recommends it. Have you ever felt depressed going back to your hotel after an evening on the town? That's how we felt returning to this poor excuse for a hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

It has been a while since I stayed at the Carmel Bayview Inn. I really liked the rooms on the upper floors on my initial visit, but on subsequent visits to the Carmel/Monterey area found better deals at a Bed and Breakfast for the same price. I have stayed at the Seven Gables in Pacific Grove, but this year they raised their prices and that lead me to revisit my lodging options. I visited Carmel the weekend of Oct 15th and booked late. By the time I booked there were very few vacancies as both the Porsche race at Laguna Seca and the Carmel Art and Film Festival were taking place that weekend. I got a semi reasonable rate at the Bayview inn, (upper $100 range) and decided to return. For the rate I paid, I wasn't expecting an upper floor room and found the experience just average on the bottom floors. They don't advertise that they have queen beds and that not all rooms include refrigerators. Then again it has been a while since my last visit and they may no longer include refrigerators in the rooms. Our previous room 58 had a king bed, fireplace, refrigerator and a fantastic view of the ocean and Point Lobos. Room 35 had a queen bed and a fireplace and no view. The bed itself, although small, was comfy. The bathroom was clean and still looked new. For the rate, which seems higher than the average Best Western property, the room was functional but not exceptional. The Bayview inn still serves a continental breakfast, which is ok.
When we visited, they had also serviced their water pipes. We complained about black residue in the water and were told that the plumber had performed the service recently and that the water quality was perhaps not good for drinking. Not sure what I should have expected but we ended up buying bottled water to brush our teeth. All in all it was an average stay. The location is still great; within walking distance of great restaurants and shopping. We ate at Le Bicylette. Depending on the price offered, I would first check some Bed and Breakfasts and the Hyatt Monterey, which recently renovated their rooms.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the 50's. such as 58, 59. These may cost a bit more but have great views of the...
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I've stayed at several Best Western "Plus" properties but I don't find anything very "plus" about them.

We had a standard size room with balcony and view of the ocean way in the distance. The room had no a/c and, since it faces west, it was very hot when we entered it.

There was a folding bed in our room when we arrived. I called and asked for it to be removed. The woman who answered the phone said, "I'll send up associate right up." Nobody ever appeared. We put the bed outside our room and later moved it to the elevator room. It was still there when we departed the next day.

The fridge made so much noise we had to disconnect it.

The bath was tiny and a huge basket for linens took up too much of the floor space.

Breakfast was a dismal affair and the tip jar had a dollar bill so prominently displayed that it provoked rolling eyes from everybody who gazed upon it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Carmel Bay View Inn? Share your experiences!