“A pretty retreat in a lovely setting” 4 of 5 stars

Sea View Inn
El Camino Real btwn 11th & 12th, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #10 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
UK
“A pretty retreat in a lovely setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed at the Sea View Inn as part of a three week road trip around West Coast America.

The Inn is nicely located in a peaceful part Carmel - a very short walk to the beach (5-10 minutes) and a bit further to the centre of Carmel. We were greeted warmly on arrival and invited to the wine and cheese hour taking part a little later. The room clean and comfortable and was just as it appeared on their website - Room 9 - at the front of the house, so we could hear the sea. The only slight downside was the shower in the bathroom, which wasn't particularly big or powerful.

The beach at Carmel is certainly beautiful and only a very short walk away. Bear in mind there are no street lights in Carmel so if you are wandering into town at night - be very careful after it drops dark!

Breakfast was OK although not outstanding with a selection of croissants and cereals.

Overall we had a nice stay and would recommend the inn as a stopover in Carmel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

When we arrived at Sea View Inn, my husband was initially disappointed. We had just had an amazing experience at Glendeven Inn near Mendocino. Everything there was about as perfect as possible. Being called Sea View my husband was ready for that view...from our second floor room maybe maybe a glimpse. Yes, we could hear it somewhat. However we were warmly greeted by Brenda and started to settle in. During the wine time ...wine was just OK...we started to meet people staying there...same with breakfast. We were intrigued by how many have stayed here year after year. It was good value, interesting rooms although we were not in love withnours, but it was the one available....this place is popular. While the breakfast is a simple continental one, Margo who was overseeing things in the morning was very helpful. SOOOO we became believers and will return. It is charming, has a great location for walking the beach and the village.....and the people who stay there year after year are terrific.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Leiden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

This B&B is located only 3 minutes away from the beach and 7 minutes away from the centre of town.
My room was great. I spend 2 nights in the smallest room upstairs, which was bigger than I had expected. I stayed there on my own and I really didn't need more space than the room provided.
I felt very welcome and the staff were all more than friendly and helpful.
Coffee is available from 8 am and breakfast from 9 am. Tea and cookies and wine and cheese are served in the afternoon. It was great getting back there after a day exploring Carmel and relax. The living room invites you and gives you a chance to meet and talk to the other guests. Or just to sit at the fireplace and read a book.
I had a great time, and I will for sure book myself a room in the Sea View Inn if I ever go back to Carmel!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

My boyfriend and I are from New York and took our first trip to Carmel. We could not have been happier with the Sea View Inn. We stayed in the smaller, third floor room and shared a bathroom with one other room. In my opinion the room was perfect and sharing a bathroom was not an issue at all. Breakfast was wonderful and fresh and everyone could not have been more accommodating. The innkeeper was very informative about Carmel and gave us wonderful restaurant suggestions. We particularly enjoyed Wine and Cheese hour every night from 6 to 7 p.m. right before our very short walk to the beach each evening. It was such a pleasure to stay here and we hope to return soon!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Coral Gables
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I spent two days with my daughter and we were very sad when we had to leave. The house is perfect and should definitely be Tripadvisor’s number 1.
We arived tired, past 7 PM, and Mary was wating us with a glass of wine - the best that could have happened to us. Tracy, the owner, is a person that goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome and relaxed. The place is from a fairy tale. The location is ideal: close to the beach as well as the main street, filled with shopping and restaurants. In addition to breakfast, the Inn serves cookies and tea in the early afternoon and wine and cheese in the early evening. The house is clean and pleasant and you can hear the sound of the waves from your window. One important note is that the bathrooms are completely remodeled in certain rooms. We were in room 6 and the bathroom was not only new, but clean and beautiful. The rooms are much better than how they appear in the pictures.
On my next trip to Carmel by the Sea, this will definetely be my choice.

• Stayed August 2010
Fountain Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

.... but I have to agree with one of the reviewers below that the Inn is not good for early risers at all. We needed to leave by 8am to begin a trip down the coast and there was nothing to eat, I was slightly surprised considering that most places I've stayed at begin breakfast at 7 in the morning, it was also disappointing considering we paid to stay at a Bed and Breakfast and only got the bed part. However we really enjoyed our stay otherwise and the staff was very welcoming and made us feel at home. Our room was very cozy and had a beautiful view of the sunrise and the garden, out in front we enjoyed the lounge chairs on the wraparound porch and the beach was only a two block walk away. I would stay here again but not when I need to leave early in the morning.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed two nights during the Carmel Bach Festival. Our room (No. 8) was very nice with a newly refurbished private bath across the hallway. The public rooms were very inviting. The staff did a good job of making guests feel welcome. An above-average breakfast was served during limited hours (9 to 10) Tea with cookies was set out until about 5 p.m. A half-hour later, wine and cheese were served. Hotel is located about two blocks from Carmel Beach and it's a good walk to the town's main drag (Ocean Avenue). All three of our concert venues (Sunset Center, All Saints Church and the Carmel Mission) were within easy walking distance. So was Carmel River Beach. A very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sea View Inn? Share your experiences!