“Excellent if you are young and/or fit” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct - Best Rates
Ranked #4 of 29 Carmel B&B and Inns
San Luis Obispo, California
“Excellent if you are young and/or fit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed for two nights with my dog in room 11, a king suite. It was up several short flights of stairs, too many for me. The rooms were a mixed bag: the bathroom was elegant and had clearly been recently remodeled. It included a giant jetted bathtub, separate shower, cute little bench, a plethora of towels. My only complaint was that the shower floor was a bit slippery and there was no grab bar and no shower mat. I fully understand not wanting to put an ugly rubber mat in that beautiful bathroom, still I think the shower was dangerous.
The bedroom barely had room for the king bed, but the bed was extremely comfortable and afforded a wonderful nights sleep. There was occasional noise from the front of the building, but my bedroom was in the back and I simply shut the door for quiet. The bedding was upscale, very attractive.
The living room was furnished with an army green love seat, club chair and. carpet. there was a gas fireplace, tv. The furniture was comfortable, and I covered up the love seat with a sheet so the dog could sit with me, so dinginess wasn't much of a concern.
Wifi is complementary; a printed info sheet in my room said there was no password required. The first night I couldn't get my iPad to work and the office closes at 8 pm. The next morning I asked my neighbor, owner of two lively golden retrievers, about wifi and he gave me the password. When I told the office staff I learned that I had "an old brochure".
In general, the place was very nice: staff were polite, friendly and responsive to requests, the breakfast and other food was good, and plentiful, and the rooms were clean. Provisions for dogs were superb and seemed to be designed by someone who had traveled with dogs and knew the drill. Treats are nice, but better are a strip of grass designated for dogs, a poop bag dispenser and garbage can, a hose and towels for after beach clean up.
I think I did not emphasize that I wanted few stairs when I made the reservation, so I am to blame for my sore legs.
I would recommend room 11 at the Carmel Country Inn to anyone who does not have trouble climbing stairs and is not worried about slipping in the shower.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CarmelInnkeeper, Manager at Carmel Country Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about our inn.

Several of our accommodations are located on ground level, we just need know know in advance if guests would prefer a ground floor rooms. Each room has a description on our website as to their location, as well as on the confirmation letters we send each reservation.

The owner is an award winning master builder of custom homes in Carmel-by-the-Sea and Pebble Beach. He would never use a product that was unsafe. We do have shower mats available for those guest who would request them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were absolutely beautiful and comfortable. Very inviting. Breakfast is incredible and worth the stay!

The staff is very helpful and pleasant. This is one of the most enjoyable hotels I've ever had the pleasure to stay at.

• Stayed May 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Carmel is a beautiful, cozy, colorful town and Carmel Country Inn fits perfectly. Outside there were colorful flowers and patio tables for sitting and enjoying the grounds. The office offered games, books, movies, maps, and lots of helpful suggestions of where to eat and where to go to take in the beauty of Carmel. There was a lovely breakfast with quiche, fresh fruit, cereals and granola, yogurts, and pastries, and snacks and drinks were available throughout the day. Our room was spacious and clean, tastefully decorated, and had a fabulous tv, fireplace, balcony, jacuzzi tub, and separate extra large shower. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tree Top room which is one of the Luxury King Studios. The room had a large tv, ga...
Palo Alto, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The staff was friendly and helpful with recommendations since this was our first trip to Carmel. The location was perfectly situated and made walks to downtown simple. The set up with the snacks in the kitchen gave the feeling of being home. The deluxe king suite was wonderful and we will definitely ask for the same room. Our dog truly enjoyed the trip with us, since he received his treats in the kitchen and the staff treated him so well!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Taupo, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed for 6 days in Carmel and the Carmel Country Inn was one of the friendliest B&B that we have encountered. The location is nice and quiet, the staff excellent and the breakfasts suited us perfectly.

Visitors do have to be fully aware that the Inn is pet friendly and there was always well managed and behaved dogs resident during our visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Really enjoy this place.....interiors are very nicely done in calm neutrals, very clean, nice amenities like snacks and beverages in the afternoon. Awesome dog friendly place, they were so nice with our beloved dog. My only negatives are ...it was so hot and stuffy in the rooms even when it was cool outside, seemed you could not get cool in the rooms.....beds were not super comfy' a little hard ..... last but not least.... would be nice to have a TV in the bedroom

Awesome location.....

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Nicest staff I've ever met. The bathroom remodel was glorious in the two bedroom suite. Jacuzzi bath tub. Great recommendations from front desk. Great beds, though soundproofing between walls was a bit lacking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Carmel Country Inn? Share your experiences!