“Why haven't we gone before now?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 151 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: If you like being nestled among towering pines while enjoying Carmel ocean views and spectacular sunsets, or dining at romantic tables in cliffside Mediterranean cafes, da Giovanni is your place. Firok Shield and his restaurant family operate this Carmel restaurant with careful attention to detail and a love of hospitality, offering a fusion of recipes handed down from his grandmother, such as Insalata Greca or Osso Buco. It's no wonder da Giovanni is one of the most highly recommended.
Portland
“Why haven't we gone before now?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We've been coming to Carmel for 35 years and had never been here until this July. It is a real treasure. Great food, huge menu, good prices and wonderful service. We had 5 people and everyone LOVED what they ordered. I had prawns with mushroom risotto and I can't imagine it being prepared better anywhere. The house cabernet was wonderful, and the server was one of the best we'd ever had. She knew every detail about the menu and wines and was a real professional. It is casual and the extensive menu has something for everyone - which is why we went in the first place. It was fabulous and this will be one of our regular spots when we return in a few months.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
QuickSilver12, Owner at da Giovanni, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
We are very appreciative of your review! We work very hard to create a beautiful experience for our customers. Your note lets us know that we are doing it right! Thank you again.

Los Angeles, California
“Delicious Meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Da Giovanni is my favorite restaurant in Carmel. It never disappoints me and always leaves me wanting to go back again and again, even though there are so many restaurants in Carmel, I've found this one to be delicious food, superb quality and dog friendly on the patio, so whether it's a romantic dinner inside, with low lights and a quant surrounding, or outside in shorts or jeans on the patio, with my puppies, I know I'm sure to enjoy the excellent food, service and wine at this restaurant!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Redwood City, California
“an authentice mediterranean restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

YES, the service was excelent, and food was very good, I had the sand dabs.which was served mediterranean style, the light tomatoe sauce base, My husband realy enjoyed his baked halitbut in philo dough and spinach, The ambaiance is nice because you dine among the montery pines, the view from the window.

Visited June 2013
Carmel, California
“Delicious and elegant dining in Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

da Giovanni has been my favorite restaurant for the last 13 years. With it's exceptional food, superb service, and romantic setting, it's getting a gold star from me. Whether I'm all dressed up, or not, and want to eat inside, for the ambiance, or a casual dinner outside, on the patio with my dogs, the food is such excellent quality, as well as the wines, and specialty dishes. It's upstairs, tucked away from the rest of the hustle and bustle off of Ocean. The owner has two other restaurants in town, but this one is my favorite. You will enjoy your meal whatever you order!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
QuickSilver12, Owner at da Giovanni, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
We are loving your review, Julian! Thanks so much for writing it and for making our day!
Oakland, California
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We went there because it was close to the hotel and we found parking right in the front (our dog was in the car, he couldn't stay in the hotel solo) later i found out they have a dog friendly patio
The menu included plenty of seafood pasta choices and even though I wasn't really in the mood for italian I left very satisfied, I had linguini with clams and my husband had misto di mare, both dishes were very tasty. Wines by the glass were decent, not many chothey have a very large list of wines by bottle. For desert we had the bread pudding, a little dry for my taste.
This restaurant has a nice ambiance and service is good

• Visited April 2013