“Excellent Staff and Charming Rooms!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carmel
Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites
Save Saved
You added Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites to your Saves list
S.E. Corner of Ocean Avenue & Camino Real, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Offers & Announcements
call for best rate
Ranked #1 of 29 Carmel B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Excellent Staff and Charming Rooms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

My husband and I stay at the Lamp Lighter Inn every year when visiting our favorite town, Carmel. There are many reasons why we keep coming back. Not only is the location perfect for walking around town and to the beach, but the rooms are adorable and comfortable. I love the decor and the plush bedding! It is a perfect place to come back at the end of the day to relax. The fire pits are also fun! They create an inviting environment to socialize with the other guests or staff. We love the wine and cheese provided in the evenings too!
The staff has always been wonderful to us. The ladies who work at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. In particular Heather and her mother have always gone out of their way to make sure we have a great stay every time!
I recomend the Lamp Lighter Inn to anyone who is planning on staying in the Carmel area. It's beautifully charming! We can't wait to come back next year.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
backincarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for coming back every year and for sharing your experience. Our goal here at the Lamp Lighter Inn is to make all of our guests feel right at home! The Wine and Cheese hour has secretly been designed to encourage all of our guests to share their travel experiences with one another!!
I will pass along your kind words to Peggy and Heather and thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you next year!!

Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I was in town to see family and friends for a wedding last month and stayed here. Absolutely beautiful place to stay, the room was very accomodating and the grounds and ammenities were very generous. The best part of my stay though was the staff, Heather -was super friendly and professional and caring, Melissa-was very courteous and helpful especially when we needed directions she knew where everything was, Peggy was such a charmer, she really did brighten up my coninental breakfast every morning. The cleaning staff were wonderful, my room was spotless! Bottom line the staff go out of there way to help you, as well as make your stay as memorable as possible, the campfire on the beach was a great deal and lots of fun too, especially because they provided you with everything! The Lamplighter Inn is managed suburbly, and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: All of the suites here are wonderful, however talk with the staff to figure out the perfect fit for...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Kristina, Thanks you for sharing your experience and we are glad you had a wonderful time! Our goal here at the Lamp Lighter Inn is to make everyone feel like they are welcome! Yes, the bonfire on the beach is one of the coolest things you can do especially due to the fact that most beaches are not bonfire friendly! Thanks again for staying with us and we hope for a return visit. And I will pass along the kind words to the staff!

Queretaro, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

You don't need anything else from a place to stay in Carmel.
Nice rooms, excellent and friendly staff. Nice food and wines during the evening.
The location is great, just between the beach and the main attractions on Ocean av.

We planned to stay for a couple of nights, then, we decided to have a 3rd one. No regrets!

Room Tip: Purpoise. Great room for a perfect rest & sleep quality
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for staying with us! Glad you were able to stay a third night! We always recommend at least two nights in Carmel because there is so much beauty to see! Thanks for staying with us and we hope for a return visit!!

Williamstown, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Lamp Lighter is well run, has a friendly staff and has a nice location halfway down the hill between the center of town and the beach. The cottages are in generally good condition (but they are cottages-- more charming than luxury).

We stayed for five nights-- one night in Hansel & Gretel, three nights in Sea Star and one night in Sea Lion. Each room has its pluses and minuses but overall we preferred Sea Star-- it's been recently updated, it's bright and cheery, and the bathroom is in good shape (and it's larger than Sea Lion's bathroom which is cramped).

The breakfast is fine-- could be better with a few simple improvements (e.g., fresh fruit salad, freshly baked muffins). The nice thing about breakfast (and this goes for the evening wine and cheese hour-- which is a nice touch) is that you can sit outside by some gas fireplaces so you get to meet the other guests which is fun.

This is the kind of place that "is what it is"-- simple cottages. So don't expect fancy. But you can expect professional management with a real eye for detail, and a friendly staff that is eager to please.

Plus, you're in Carmel! So no complaints!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
backincarmel, Guest Relations at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Thank you for the detailed and honest review. Some bathrooms are more spacious than others and we appreciate you taking the time to share with future guests which room worked best for you and why. Being that we don't have a full kitchen, we're limited on breakfast options but we're always searching for ways to improve. We appreciate the suggestions. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and sharing your thoughts.

Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

The Lamplighters experience is perfect the minute you walk in. The staff is more like a family, they checked us right into our rooms early, they have awesome fire pits around which makes it a perfect place to come back and relax after a wonderful day. The beach is right down the street and so is downtown Carmel. All around awesome stay and we will be back as soon as we can.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
backincarmel, Guest Relations at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thanks so much for the kind words. We're glad you had a great experience here at the Lamplighter. Hopefully we'll see you back again soon.

Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The location is perfect, closest Inn to the beach and on the edge of the downtown area. Everything is walking distance. The patio area is extremely inviting and breakfast is a perfect time to enjoy as well as in the evening. The people who work there are extremely friendly and helpful. My husband fell and slid down a rock of green slime. The folks at Lamp Lighter offered to wash his clothes out of the goodness of their hearts! They have a wonderful Inn cat, Shadow, who loves everyone and doesn't even mind the guest dogs. We love this place and look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: I've stayed in the Bird's Nest on a trip with my neice and it's perfect if you need two...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking a minute to write about your stay. I'll be sure to pass on the kinds words to the other staff. We're always glad to hear from happy guests. Shadow is definitely the most well known member of our team and many of our return guests ask about her as soon as they get here. We're glad you had an enjoyable stay and we hope to see you back again soon.

Antioch, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

This review is long over due!! I have stayed here twice more since my first review in 2012 and I can't say enough good things about the Lamp Lighter Inn! I absolutely adore this establishment and feel extremely "at home & welcome" each time I stay.

On my last two visits I stayed in the "Porpoise" room. I can't recommend this room enough. It has it's own private entrance, patio and calming fountain. It's a very comfortable room and extremely private from the rest of the Inn. If you want privacy this is the room for you. As always, my room was immaculate which is my #1 request. In this room you have a separate sitting area with the most comfortable couch I have ever sat on. In fact, so comfortable I accidently fell asleep on it after a nice long bubble bath in the jacuzzi tub. It's a wonderful home away from home and I have always felt safe and secure at this Inn.

Every time I stay here the staff makes me feel like family! Melyssa, Peggy, Heather & Bobbie remember me each and every time I come. Even "Shadow" the cat remembered me and how much she likes to follow me to my room every night after dinner and snuggle at the end of the bed. The staff always has wonderful suggestions on what to do and which restaurants to go to.

I highly enjoyed the wine & cheese hour the last time I visited. Bobbie created a beautiful structure (for lack of a better term) that shelters you near the fire pit. It was extremely comfortable and, as always, the local wine is very good. I enjoyed the new fire pit so much I stayed for several hours each night with all the other guests. No one wanted to leave and we all kept extending our dinner reservations because the wine and conversation was so good. I met so many lovely guests from all over the world.

I'll be back again in 2014! I can't wait!!

Room Tip: The Porpoise room is nice and private.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
backincarmel, Guest Relations at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
What an awesome and thoughtful review! I'll pass on the kind words to the rest of the staff, we're always delighted to hear from happy guests who end up leaving as friends.The Porpoise room is one of my favorites for the same reasons. I love how private it is and the patio area is a perfect spot to relax. It's great that you were able to enjoy some privacy and also make some new friends during wine and cheese hour. We can't wait to have you back. I'm sure Shadow will be looking forward to it :)

-Maddy and Staff

Been to Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites? Share your experiences!