“Excellent Basic Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Portland, OR
“Excellent Basic Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've lived in Switzerland, the only thing Swiss about this place is some decor touches in a few places, the menu is traditional american. I went on a weekday morning at 10:00am, and easily got a seat. I came prepared with plenty of cash, a paper to read, and my cell phone turned off (it was off but the waitress seemed to keep eyeing it anyway, ready to warn me they don't like cell phones used inside). The coffee was good, they brought real cream in a pitcher (a big plus), and I had the Spanish Omelette which was amazingly good, filled with a rich tomato flavered base of peppers (more Spain-ish than Mexican), with Hash Browns on the side. My bill was only $11.00, a great deal. I would go back again, especially during off-days when it's not crazy busy.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
Santa Cruz, CA
“Great for a reasonable lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were looking for a reasonably priced lunch in Carmel, and happened on the Little Swiss Cafe. We were attracted by the menu and the cost was in-budget.

When we were seated by the mural, we were delighted with the humorous additions. The staff was uniformly friendly and attentive.

The split pea soup was among the best we've had anywhere. All our lunch entrees were excellent. This was our first visit, but we'll be back.

• Visited April 2013
Carpinteria, California
“Recommended to us by a local!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Yes, there was a short wait to be seated at the Little Swiss Cafe, but it was worth the wait. The service, cleanliness, decor and food were all excellent. I'm so glad that we made the stop here for breakfast. The Little Swiss Cafe is a delicious place to eat!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, Virginia
“The Waffles are to Die For”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were either going to Friar Tuck's or Em Le's or Katy's Place for our last meal at Carmel but then I decided to take the scenic route and we stumbled on Little Swiss Cafe. The wife reminded me that we had tried this place about 10 years back and she remembered it as being quite good, so we carted the kid in. First the place is small but cosy and the wait staff very friendly and efficient. The kid and I had waffles, eggs and sausages, and hash brown, the wife had French Toast and a side of fried potatoes and I decided to splurge by ordering real maple syrup. We did not wait long and I can tell you that the waffles are glorious, and the French Toast is no pushover either. I can't quite figure out how they make the waffles so super crispy without burning it, and still maintain that "fullness of taste" but I can tell you this: were this not our last day I would have eaten every breakfast here. The real maple syrup was worth every penny, served warm -- smooth and rich without being too sweet -- to make the waffles heavenly. I wanted to order another almost immediately but the wife pointed out that my gut was not doing me any favors in my old age and we had a long drive to San Francisco. So my craving for Little Swiss Cafe waffles will have to wait for at least until Summer.

• Visited March 2013
Incline Village, Nevada
“Best eggs Benedict”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have been eating there for over 30 years and again I was marveled at their perfect eggs Benedict.
Since the original owners son took over the food stayed fantastic. The only thing that has changed is that it feels even more friendly and charming.
You won't be disappointed