“Ohhh the cheese blinz!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Houston
“Ohhh the cheese blinz!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Like the pull-a-parts at Pastries and Petals, a must have breakfast item in Carmel. Gets crowded so be willing to get there early or wait. Don't miss the fun murals.

Visited July 2012

Paso Robles, California
“Memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Love this cafe. Hand painted murals
With lace curtains, and unforgettable
Pancakes and waffles. Locals patronize
This cafe with greetings from the Same
Servers for several years. Your coffee
Cup is never empty. We've only had
Breakfast. Bring cash...no credit cards.
Small but inviting.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Good Breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We came here for breakfast while staining in Pacific Grove. The place really feels like a local establishment as most people looked to be locals. The breakfast was pretty standard in my opinion. Eggs, toast, etc. However the coffee kept flowing, they did a really good job of making sure that my cup was never empty. Notice: They do NOT accept credit cards.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Carmel by the Sea
“Cute ambiance. Plastic canned food. Dodgy service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My concierge friend said "uh uh. Not that place." I thought "there's always a line, it's super cute & in my hood...I'll test it for myself." 1 of those things, I'd rather have not had to experience 1st-hand.

Service= WOW harsh. server brought us the wrong food & took off while our fingers were in the air saying "but..." She came back 2 minutes later & took it to another table. Not a big deal. Then I watched as our food was taken to 2 other tables b4 she figured out it was ours...huh. But still, I don't really care as long as the food is good...DAMN. (PS there's worse, but I really don't want to relive it.)

Food= the server even told me (loudly) that the hash browns are out of a can...so were many components on the plate I decided to go with (no choice apparently). I had such a bad stomach ache afterwards too. I guess I have a different palette than most folks who rave about the hash, etc. Call me crazy, but I live in California bc of our access to amazing fresh local produce. Central Valley is 1 of the most fertile areas in the world, not to mention that it provides 60% of CA produce. I think most reviewers are confusing SPAM w/prosciutto. Understandable if you're not a foodie or if you grew up during wartime where SPAM was all the rage (I'm not dissing Hawaii). I might as well have stayed home & eaten my breakfast straight out of a can. It was really bad...the orange juice was good though & the busser was a master of keeping the coffee filled.

Cute ambiance, convenient location, but the worse "food" & service I've had in a long time...I'm still stunned by how bad it was. lol Yeah, as for the french toast...I'll stick to Em Lee's around the corner. I'm not even gonna talk about Little Swiss's french toast. How did they make it taste & feel like plastic?

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Leawood, Kansas
“Perfect Name!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a charming little breakfast & lunch place which delivers exactly what it promises. You can tell it is reliable because so many locals frequent the place. The staff is fairly cordial (remember, the name does say Swiss) and the service is prompt. The menu is pretty straight forward - no fancy stuff here. We were in the mood for grilled sandwiches and they came out looking and tasting just like they should with sides of potato salad & crunchy coleslaw. Pretty good value in a non-glamorous atmosphere (kind of non-Carmel in a way). BTW - no credit cards accepted.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere