“Charming and romantic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Forest Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carmel
Forest Lodge
You added Forest Lodge to your Saves list
Corner of Ocean Ave & Junipero, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Special Offer
Complimentary bottle of wine
Brooklyn, New York
“Charming and romantic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place is adorable. We stayed in the Garrett Loft as the first stop on our honeymoon and we could not have picked a sweeter, more romantic inn in Carmel. Great location that's just far enough away from the crowds but literally a stone's throw from Ocean Avenue. The decor and finishing touches in the bathroom were wonderful. Only reason i can't give it 5 stars, is that the bed was really not very comfortable. It's on the hard but bouncy side. I guess I would say it felt a bit "cheap" compared to the rest of the room. The Garrett Loft is also a good private spot. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Garrett Loft is romantic and private
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Forest Lodge last week to celebrate our eleven year wedding anniversary. We loved every minute of our stay! Our cottage room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The attention to detail and service were above and beyond. The breakfast basket delivery to our door every morning was great. I'm a pretty big homebody so I'm generally ready to go home at the end of a vacation. I did not want to leave!! We're planning on making this our annual anniversary trip but I'm already planning another trip to take our kids. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Forest Lodge is a little farther away from the beach and a little more secluded and set back off the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Galveston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Hospitable, clean, light, roomy - good value. Just up the hill from all the shops - everything within walking distance. Relahtively quiet and out of the downtown bustle. Easily accessible to main road to Carmel Valley for wine tasting and to Monterey for whale watching. Will definitely return to stay with these properties.

• Stayed May 2013
Murrieta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was our 1st trip to the Forest Lodge inn, and we were amazed by the scenery and ambience of the quaint cottages that they had to offer. We stayed in the Garden room, with our 2 daughters, plenty of room for all. I am in a wheelchair, and they even went out of their way to make sure my chair fit in their cottage, unlike some hotels that don’t want to bother making any extra effort to make our stay comfortable. We were also surprised that they offered a complimentary decanter of Sherry, and provided an assortment of Cheeses and wines for an afternoon manager greetings at their sister location called the lamplighters Inn. Also, they delivered to our door each morning a basket of fruits, bagels and Muffins to start our day right! Such a short drive to point lobos from this lovely hotel, and a short walk to the beach and shops from your cottage door make this location the perfect place to stay and explore Carmel. I would highly recommend this location to anyone wanting to see all that Carmel has to offer, as you start on the edge of town at this hotel, and can easily see all the sites of Carmel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Roseville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I have been here twice by ourselves, and then today we checked in with our 2 daughters and extended family. We have always received the "Winter Special" rates which is significantly lower than their listed price ($113 a night, down from $275). The first two times we stayed, we were treated wonderfully and respectfully, and breakfast baskets were delivered to our porch every morning. Every detail was always perfect. Robes in rooms, comfortable beds, wine and cheese reception. I have been telling every one about this place and was really excited for my extended family to come with us this trip (we booked 4 rooms out of their 5)....so we've pretty much taken over the place.

Well this time was a huge disappointment. We check in (mind you, this is only a few hours ago-I'm miffed enough to spend my vacation right now writing a review), and nearly the first thing the lady greets me with was "umm, you're in the Garret Loft right? how many are with you in there?" I said oh it's just my husband and my two girls and I". She says rudely "Yeah, well we have people staying below you and we just need you to be mindful of that while you're there". No "Welcome. Nice to have you back Mrs. Souza". Hilton remembers by name for goodness sake. All it takes is a quick glance at the screen/paper in front of you. I was a little put off, but oh well. Ready to move on.

My dad checks in. I give her my card and he gives her his. I ask about arranging a time for our breakfast to be delivered. Now this is our girls' first time in a bed and breakfast mind you. They have been DYING for this breakfast basket that I have told them about and think it's the coolest thing ever. So I ask her what time we can arrange. This is the conversation:

Receptionist: Oh we don't do that.
Me: You don't do breakfast baskets anymore?
Receptionist: Well, we do but just not for you guys (word.for.word)
Me: I don't understand.
Receptionist: Well, it's just that you guys have such a large party, it would be easier if you guys came down here (sister property down the road) and had breakfast here.
Me: Oh bummer, my girls have been looking forward to this, is there any way you could do it this time?
Receptionist: Well, it's just that we gave you guys a great rate, so we're not going to do the breakfast baskets for you. (real reason)
Me: (a little miffed). Oh ok. You know we've been given them before while we've had the same rate"
Receptionist: "yeah, well we're just not going to do that this time"
Dad: (stepping in) Let's go get some wine.

We head over to their wine and cheese reception hour (we made it in time). Wine was all gone. My husband had to ask for some more. We have a glass and head back up to our rooms to settle in.

We go to dinner (Village Corner, great place as always). And I'm still miffed. We drove 3.5 hours with two little girls looking forward to something (not big mind you, a simple breakfast basket) and for a returning guest you'd think they would have treated me a little better. Gone the extra mile. Not base the quality of their customer service on what kind of rate they gave me. That's me....I'm the queen of deals and I often get good ones. But that doesn't mean I should expect their service to deteriorate because of it. If that's the case, I will gladly (actually, no quite sadly) stay somewhere else. I don't want to. I love this place. It's the perfect location (we've stayed in dozens of places in Carmel). This is by far our favorite. But the way I was treated today has left a very sour taste in my mouth. I'm very very disappointed.

I called when we returned from dinner and expressed my disappointment. She again said "well it's just because you guys got such a low rate, we're just not going to do that". Then she said, "well, ok, we'll bring it to just your family in the Garret Loft". I actually kind of laughed. We'll treat some of you well and some of you not so well. Yes...let's make my 94 year old GRANDMOTHER who flew down from Oregon for this trip....let's make her walk all the way down the street for breakfast in the morning when she can hardly make it to the car. That's very kind.

I finally suggested that if they had the baskets ready, could my husband come down and pick them up and bring them back up the hill for the rest of my family. She reluctantly and quite rudely said, "yes we can do that".

I normally don't write reviews this fast (I mean, we literally just checked in a few hours ago) but I am so so disappointed with this place and the lack of service...all because they gave us a "good deal". Will probably not be returning here. Too bad, because we come to Carmel at least 3 times a year, and only found this place last year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Oakdale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I took some out of town guest to Baja last night and I was so impressed with the service, our waiter and the manager( Chris) were AWESOME. Thank you for great service and the food was great. I had SHRIMP FAJITA and it was DELICIOUS! I will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My girlfriends & I just spent a lovely evening at the Forest Lodge in Carmel. The property is charming with three newly renovated cottages that give the modern comforts we all want, while preserving the quaint "Carmel" atmosphere. The Dali Suite features a "sitting room" with a fireplace where you can relax & enjoy friends & family. The "sister property" Lamplighter Inn offers a delightful evening of visiting with guest around the firepit while sipping on wine. The staff & guest were all so friendly. Thank you so much Bobby & staff for a memorable evening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Forest Lodge? Share your experiences!