“1st & 2nd time great, 3rd time severe disappointment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Forest Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carmel
Forest Lodge
Save Saved
You added Forest Lodge to your Saves list
Corner of Ocean Ave & Junipero, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Special Offer
Complimentary bottle of wine
Roseville, CA
“1st & 2nd time great, 3rd time severe disappointment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I have been here twice by ourselves, and then today we checked in with our 2 daughters and extended family. We have always received the "Winter Special" rates which is significantly lower than their listed price ($113 a night, down from $275). The first two times we stayed, we were treated wonderfully and respectfully, and breakfast baskets were delivered to our porch every morning. Every detail was always perfect. Robes in rooms, comfortable beds, wine and cheese reception. I have been telling every one about this place and was really excited for my extended family to come with us this trip (we booked 4 rooms out of their 5)....so we've pretty much taken over the place.

Well this time was a huge disappointment. We check in (mind you, this is only a few hours ago-I'm miffed enough to spend my vacation right now writing a review), and nearly the first thing the lady greets me with was "umm, you're in the Garret Loft right? how many are with you in there?" I said oh it's just my husband and my two girls and I". She says rudely "Yeah, well we have people staying below you and we just need you to be mindful of that while you're there". No "Welcome. Nice to have you back Mrs. Souza". Hilton remembers by name for goodness sake. All it takes is a quick glance at the screen/paper in front of you. I was a little put off, but oh well. Ready to move on.

My dad checks in. I give her my card and he gives her his. I ask about arranging a time for our breakfast to be delivered. Now this is our girls' first time in a bed and breakfast mind you. They have been DYING for this breakfast basket that I have told them about and think it's the coolest thing ever. So I ask her what time we can arrange. This is the conversation:

Receptionist: Oh we don't do that.
Me: You don't do breakfast baskets anymore?
Receptionist: Well, we do but just not for you guys (word.for.word)
Me: I don't understand.
Receptionist: Well, it's just that you guys have such a large party, it would be easier if you guys came down here (sister property down the road) and had breakfast here.
Me: Oh bummer, my girls have been looking forward to this, is there any way you could do it this time?
Receptionist: Well, it's just that we gave you guys a great rate, so we're not going to do the breakfast baskets for you. (real reason)
Me: (a little miffed). Oh ok. You know we've been given them before while we've had the same rate"
Receptionist: "yeah, well we're just not going to do that this time"
Dad: (stepping in) Let's go get some wine.

We head over to their wine and cheese reception hour (we made it in time). Wine was all gone. My husband had to ask for some more. We have a glass and head back up to our rooms to settle in.

We go to dinner (Village Corner, great place as always). And I'm still miffed. We drove 3.5 hours with two little girls looking forward to something (not big mind you, a simple breakfast basket) and for a returning guest you'd think they would have treated me a little better. Gone the extra mile. Not base the quality of their customer service on what kind of rate they gave me. That's me....I'm the queen of deals and I often get good ones. But that doesn't mean I should expect their service to deteriorate because of it. If that's the case, I will gladly (actually, no quite sadly) stay somewhere else. I don't want to. I love this place. It's the perfect location (we've stayed in dozens of places in Carmel). This is by far our favorite. But the way I was treated today has left a very sour taste in my mouth. I'm very very disappointed.

I called when we returned from dinner and expressed my disappointment. She again said "well it's just because you guys got such a low rate, we're just not going to do that". Then she said, "well, ok, we'll bring it to just your family in the Garret Loft". I actually kind of laughed. We'll treat some of you well and some of you not so well. Yes...let's make my 94 year old GRANDMOTHER who flew down from Oregon for this trip....let's make her walk all the way down the street for breakfast in the morning when she can hardly make it to the car. That's very kind.

I finally suggested that if they had the baskets ready, could my husband come down and pick them up and bring them back up the hill for the rest of my family. She reluctantly and quite rudely said, "yes we can do that".

I normally don't write reviews this fast (I mean, we literally just checked in a few hours ago) but I am so so disappointed with this place and the lack of service...all because they gave us a "good deal". Will probably not be returning here. Too bad, because we come to Carmel at least 3 times a year, and only found this place last year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oakdale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I took some out of town guest to Baja last night and I was so impressed with the service, our waiter and the manager( Chris) were AWESOME. Thank you for great service and the food was great. I had SHRIMP FAJITA and it was DELICIOUS! I will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My girlfriends & I just spent a lovely evening at the Forest Lodge in Carmel. The property is charming with three newly renovated cottages that give the modern comforts we all want, while preserving the quaint "Carmel" atmosphere. The Dali Suite features a "sitting room" with a fireplace where you can relax & enjoy friends & family. The "sister property" Lamplighter Inn offers a delightful evening of visiting with guest around the firepit while sipping on wine. The staff & guest were all so friendly. Thank you so much Bobby & staff for a memorable evening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

If you are looking to get away and relax this is the place. My husband and I have stayed here for our wedding and then the past two years for our anniversary. The people (especially Melissa) who run both the Forest Lodge and the Lamplighter Inn are friendly and helpful. They dropped by an adorable basket for breakfast (yogurt, hard boiled eggs & fruit) each morning for breakfast. In the evenings we dropped by the complimentary wine and cheese happy hour at the Lamplighter Inn on our way to and from the beach to watch the sunset. I love the Garrett Loft because it is spacious, there is a nook that is perfect for reading or working and you feel like you are nestled in the tree tops. There is also a fireplace to add to the ambience. We have stayed in the Ocean Avenue room and we liked that too. The location is ideal as numerous restaurants, wine tasting and shopping are steps away and the beach is about a 15 minute walk. We didn't even get a car for this trip. In the past year the town has allowed more wine tasting rooms and if you like red wine we highly recommend Scheid Vineyards which is a few blocks away. If you are a happy hour person we also loved the rooftop at Vesuvio's (about a block away).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My fiance and I attended a friend's destination wedding in Carmel. We booked the Dali room and couldn't be happier. The room was clean, very well equipped, incredibly spacious, and the bathrooms were great. The spacious living room and fireplace was just what we needed after a long day hiking in Big Sur. In addition, the location was perfect, being a few steps away from great shopping and dining in Carmel. No complaints here, this was a great find and we can't wait to come back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Beaufort, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Carmel has so many different options for lodging and when you are coming all the way across the country you worry you haven't found the right place to stay. There is no worry with Forest Lodge. It was so relaxing and quiet. The breakfast delivered to the room was great and it was fun to eat outside in the courtyard. Had a perfect stay in Carmel thanks to the staff at The Lamplighter (the sister B &B) and Forest Lodge. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different but the online description is excellent.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Blackpool. Lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at the Dali Suite at Forest Lodge. The photographs on the web site are for the lamplighter inn so we were disappointed to find that the layout was totally different. Parking was a bit tight - but there was enough space for the number of rooms. The earlier you got back the better space you got. It was all uphill or downhill. Our rooms consisted of the downstaits of one of the cottages. French windows led into the main lounge which was large. There was a small kitchinette which comprised of a fridge, sink, microwave and a coffee maker. There was no cutlery - not even a single tea spoon. No plates or kitchen tools except for a broker corkscrew. Just as well we were organised and had our own. There was a complementary decanter of sherry which seemed oddly out of place. The sofa bed in the lounge was huge and so heavu that it needed quite some muscle power to open it. The bedroom contained a bed, TV and drawers and was adequate and this too had french windows leading on to a small veranda with a chair. Due to the hilly nature of the place the front door was Down steps and the back doo was up steps!!!!!!!!! The bathroom was large and well equipped. Our visit was spoiled by noisy tenants upstairs with noisy children who were up and about at the crack of dawn.. We did complain but we were simply told that they couldn't do anything about it. Complementary breakfast was offered at the Lamplighter Inn (or could be delivered if requested in advance) however the two premises were at opposite end of Carmel and so although we asked for breakfast to be delivered it was only done on one day - the other 2 days we didn't get anything. I would not stay here again and I certainy would recomend tyhat if you want to stay at the Dali suite then make sure it is not in school holidays. I am sure that the whole place would be much more pleasant then.

Room Tip: Don't go in school holidays
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Forest Lodge? Share your experiences!