“great bartender and average food” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Flaherty's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 151 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: At Flaherty's...Fish is Everything! We know good seafood, we know how to buy it and we know how to prepare it. Unlike most restaurants (even the best of them) where fish is often a secondary item on the menu...at Flaherty's it's all about seafood. Here, you will experience a small town, comfortable, family atmosphere, where quality ingredients and quality preparation come together with quality service. We also include gluten free items in our menu to provide all of our customers with the best service possible. It's who we are...come and experience seafood like it was meant to be.
San Francisco, California
“great bartender and average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We saw the sign saying the best Oyster and Bloody Mary in Carmel. It was a Sunday night on labor day weekend, the weight was about 1 hour without reservation. The host called us when the table is ready. We happily sat down at the bar and order their infamous bloody mary. It was good, but I don't know if that beats the San Diego Hash A Go Go bloody mary. It is worth the try tho. Then the bartender made a Pimms Cup for me at my request. She did a pretty good job too. We had a good time chatting with her. She is a very fun person to talk to.

The food:

1. We order 1/2 dozen of the oyster combination (fanny bay, etc..) Don't remember. It was okay, not as fresh as the ones we get in SF. The variety is not as much as we get at hog island.

2. Clam chowder is kinda bland. nothing special, i would say it's too watery.

3. Chili - this is okay, i feel like it has too much beans and not spicy at all. I think 3/4 of the bowl was beans. Too fulfilling for just a cup of chili.

I won't come back again for the food, but definitely come back again for the drinks from the lady bartender. Next time I will remember to ask for her name.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

carmel, california
“Great Food, Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I went to dinner at Flaherty's restaurant with a friend and my puppy. We were seated at one of the outdoor tables, under a heater and were very comfortable. We split a Ceasar salad and I had the filet, which came with a choice of sides. I love carmelized onions and Bernaise, so those were the two I picked. My friend chose a seafood dish that came in an oven skillett, Halibut and crab with an amazing broth! Looked rustic and tasted gourmet. Very nice selection on the wine list, and priced so you didn't feel taken advantage of. Kayla, our server, was attentive, without being condenscending and very knowledgeable. I live locally in town and have a business where I am asked frequently to recommend restaurants. Flaherty's is always at the top of the list.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
restauranteurCarmel, Owner at Flaherty's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thanks for recommending us! I'm glad to know you appreciate our approach to cooking. We strive to serve simple and rustic dishes that taste special and memorable.

I'll be sure to pass along your kind message to Kayla. Looking forward to your next visit!

Victoria, Canada
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was our 3rd time visiting Flaherty's and while our first couple of meals in 2005 and 2007 were spectacular, sadly, food quality and value have gone wayyyy downhill. The seafood paella was mushy, as if it had been warmed up from a couple days earlier. The seafood grill was grossly overpriced and the smallest serving imaginable.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
“An Excellent Dining Experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend were on vacation and stopped by for lunch, i had the fish curry and she had the fish and chips, and both were very satisfying. The bar tender was kind enough to make me a virgin Mojito, that was very refreshing. The atmosphere was upbeat and cheerful and hope to return there again!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
restauranteurCarmel, Owner at Flaherty's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
MillyLucille,

Thank you for a wonderful review. I'm so happy you had a great time with us, and hope you enjoyed your vacation. I'll share these compliments with the team, and we'd love to have you again the next time you're in town!

Los Angeles, California
“Great staff, good food, very dog-friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I'm surprised by the all the negative reviews because our experience at Flaherty's was rather positive.

We made a reservation on OpenTable.com for a table outside with our dog. The hostess greeted us immediately when she saw us and took us to our table. She had a fresh bowl of water and treats on hand for our pup too! Overall, the staff was kind and attentive and the ambiance was casual and comfortable.

The food was good. Nothing to write home about, but no complaints either. The Bloody Mary is spicy and strong; the clam chowder is different but tasty; and the seafood carbonara pasta is delicious and very filling.

Bonus -- If you eat at any sister restaurants like Village Corner, Portabella, or Anton and Michel's, you get a 15% off coupon to use next time.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for a great review! It was our pleasure to host you and your pup, and I'm happy you enjoyed yourselves. I'll share this with the whole team. Feel free to stop by anytime!